Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've ordered the silver one, which won't be here for ages!

I'll swap you my black 31mm for your silver one, though, Panoguy!

10-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Oh, no! It says Ricoh on the box...

I sense a great disturbance in the force.
10-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Azzy Quote
any chance you can try the bounce flash ?
Very unscientific, just played with this for a few minutes. Exposure was consistent (slightly underexposed) for a variety of direct and bounced flashes. (Av mode ISO auto 100-400).

dave k
10-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I'll swap you my black 31mm for your silver one, though, Panoguy!
Ummm... no. I'm sure your black 31mm will look great on the silver K-3! Better still, it will shine with 24MP and a really useful AF system (finally!).

I have all "three Amigos" in silver with their colored bags to tell them apart, and kind of prefer the silver-on-black look. Of course, those are my only three silver lenses, all the rest are boring black... and I won't be upgrading to any "HD Limited" to get a silver DA70 or DA15.

10-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Please wait for a full report on the image quality, so far I only had the chance to try the ergonomy of it...and I feel frustrated

Ill post pics in about 6 hours from now at the latest, wont be interrsting shot, more some kind of maniac shooting haha...
Sun is getting low, cloudy sky...I cant wait to use it
I do plan to wait until I hear more from others! Thanks for your replies. They are appreciated!
10-31-2013, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mine is here! All I can say so far is that the IQ looks great, and it auto-focusses accurately (FA 50mm 1.4 and DA*300 f4 tested). Coming from a K20D and K-x, I need to RTFM.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-01-2013 at 04:24 AM.
10-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #37

My impressions

I picked my camera upmtaday and had a brief amount of daylight to play around. I am very impressed and will be doing much more stress testing this weekend. There are sample pictures and 100% crops with different ISOs on my blog

Pentax K-3 first impressions | Wallace Koopmans Artlog
11-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #38
Inactive Account

My K3 arrived yesterday, so the below comments are initial findings so far and not a full on review.

OK a feature that I think deserves a mention is the new Multi Auto WB on the K3, it works very well indeed. I set the K3 on a tripod and a K5lls on a tripod this morning both with same lenses and same settings and took a few images looking out across back gardens with some autumnal leaves. The K3 rendered the colours spot on, the K5lls was still good, but the k3 images just looked far better. I swapped the cards to view in each camera and the images shot with the K3 viewed on the K5lls screen still looked better. I am very impressed with the Multi Auto WB so far.

I shoot a lot of action photography so I have found solutions to some of the AF issues of the K5 and K5ll, I have had a play with the K3's AF-S & AF-A modes and can confirm it is far better than the original K5 and the K5ll. I took some images last night throwing pillows across my living room and rolling a ball across the floor, I know these tests are a long way from photographing action and sports, but the AF did a very good job and I personally think its a big improvement from the K5ll. Next weekend I have press pass for the RAC Rally in the UK, so I will be able to provide a more detailed update in relation to AF system and provide some example images.

The menu system on the K3 is a little different from the K5 & K5ll, but everything still is easy to set and change. Hi ISO Image wise I think its fine up to ISO 3200, but beyond that noise starts have an impact. I think I am going to really enjoy the K3 and am now thinking about selling my other K5lls and getting another K3.

11-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Fletcher Davies Quote
My K3 arrived yesterday, so the below comments are initial findings so far and not a full on review.

OK a feature that I think deserves a mention is the new Multi Auto WB on the K3, it works very well indeed. I set the K3 on a tripod and a K5lls on a tripod this morning both with same lenses and same settings and took a few images looking out across back gardens with some autumnal leaves. The K3 rendered the colours spot on, the K5lls was still good, but the k3 images just looked far better. I swapped the cards to view in each camera and the images shot with the K3 viewed on the K5lls screen still looked better. I am very impressed with the Multi Auto WB so far.

I shoot a lot of action photography so I have found solutions to some of the AF issues of the K5 and K5ll, I have had a play with the K3's AF-S & AF-A modes and can confirm it is far better than the original K5 and the K5ll. I took some images last night throwing pillows across my living room and rolling a ball across the floor, I know these tests are a long way from photographing action and sports, but the AF did a very good job and I personally think its a big improvement from the K5ll. Next weekend I have press pass for the RAC Rally in the UK, so I will be able to provide a more detailed update in relation to AF system and provide some example images.

The menu system on the K3 is a little different from the K5 & K5ll, but everything still is easy to set and change. Hi ISO Image wise I think its fine up to ISO 3200, but beyond that noise starts have an impact. I think I am going to really enjoy the K3 and am now thinking about selling my other K5lls and getting another K3.
Great to hear that the autofocus is a good improvement. Congrats on the new camera! Enjoy
11-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #40
Col
Veteran Member

Sounds, to me, that you better start damming the K3 or you're going to depress the K5ii 2nd hand market below where 2xK5 does not equal a K3.

I think I'm going to have to discuss with my a mate & D3 user what all the AF options mean. I've to got so used to: point, focus, miss, focus hit, miss, hit, hit, that I'm not sure what to do going forward.
11-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #41

Congratulation for yours new toys, and tank's for your first impressions.

The two most interesting innovation was the AF and the 86k pixel rgb metering and multi zone white balance.

It's so good to read about AF improvement. It's easy to say it's better than k20d and k-x... simply because it was a really bad AF compared to competitors. Many says that the k5 has a great AF... but that's not true, it has an AF as good as the Nikon d90 in general use, and a lot worse in tracking and low light use... the simple 5000d of my girlfriend overpowered it so many times. It's frustrating. I tried the k5IIs and I can say it's much better just in low light, with the great -3EV sensibility, but for "action" ph. it still has a big gap on the market.

I was really considering of pass Nikon because of that AF issues... I waited from k-x to k-5II and nothing happened... maybe this is a final prize for my patience and frustration, as a non pro users. I waited so much for k-5 and was very disappointed. So I said "wait for k-3" and it took 3 years... twice the time... ok ok... Full Frame rumors... keep the system (I have many full frame optics) and wait... finally I hope in something that change the trend substancially, not little by little. I'll wait 3 months more and see how better this new Safox... and if a brand new D400 is coming out... because of crisis I have to start working with my photographic passion, and I need the mosto good Af on the market for APSC.

Even the new metering sistem is a very needed upgrade... it was obsolete.
11-01-2013, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Inactive Account

More first impressions

Hello, folks. Thought I'd add some additional early K-3 impressions from trying it out last night. I'm coming from a K-5 (K-7 and K10D before that). These are obviously my subjective impressions based on how I like to work with a camera, and on just a few hours with the K-3. YMMV.

As said by many others, the first impression is just of speed. The camera reacts to everything instantaneously. In Live View: on the K-5 the screen image would smear if you moved quickly, and it lagged behind your movements slightly, where the K-3 is razor sharp and immediate. Feels like a racehorse pulling at the bit, everything done before you've finished asking.

The new grip is perfect: the two areas they changed it, with a larger thumb ridge on the back and slightly deeper grip in the front, are small but excellent refinements.

The tactile quality of the buttons are improved, even though I never thought there was room for improvement. The new D-pad is great, as your thumb settles nicely into the concave buttons.

As one who uses the AF button for focus, the new location is turning out to be my favourite change (although my muscle memory is going to take a while to adjust). The K-3 is a real jump in focus speed and performance from the K-5. You can tell the screw-drive engine is faster and more powerful. I didn't notice much difference with SDM focus speed, but that was on the 50-135. Accuracy seems improved as well.

Focus peaking in Live View works really well - it's like a white shimmer that moves through the scene as you adjust, and is very accurate. I miss the K-5's automatic zoom-in-while-focusing-then-zoom-back-out, but may not need it with focus peaking.

The K-3's image quality seems to be at least as good as the K-5, but with slightly more detail. For me, this upgrade was more about the other areas of improvement, as I'm still extremely happy with the K-5's image quality. I was concerned that reaching for 24 MP would mean a drop from the K-5's stellar sensor, but the K-3 does not disappoint. (This just from testing casual DNG RAW snapshots in interior lighting, up to 6400 ISO, and comparing in Lightroom 5 using both cameras' embedded profiles.)

Just a two cons I can think of:
1) Bizarrely, toggling the electronic level with the Fx button is no longer an option. I don't know why they'd remove that from the list and didn't expect it to be missing. This is a personal disappointment, as I use this function frequently on the K-5. I love having the electronic level available, but don't want it cluttering up my Live View, or worse, taking over the exposure meter when I don't need it. I use the Fx button to enable it, check my level, and then dismiss it again. I hope a firmware update can bring it back, and I'll be writing to Pentax to plead the case. Weird.

2) The extra weight is noticeable. I was hoping it wouldn't be, but it is to my hands. Not by much, but I personally wish they'd left out things I have no need for (dual card slots, headphone jack) and kept the weight down. But I understand the competitive pressure that led them to add them in. (I also personally wish they'd have stuck with 16MP and gone for even better sensitivity, but I understand the decision on that one, too.) I do a lot of my photography while walking, either in the backcountry or in cities, so carrying weight matters to me.

For anyone wondering about Really Right Stuff plates: the custom RRS L-plate for the K-7/K-5/II/s does not fit the K-3. The RRS "multi-camera" plate BP-CS does fit beautifully, and clears the battery door.

Hope this is useful opinion.
-Jos
11-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Bogartist Quote
1) Bizarrely, toggling the electronic level with the Fx button is no longer an option. I don't know why they'd remove that from the list and didn't expect it to be missing. This is a personal disappointment, as I use this function frequently on the K-5. I love having the electronic level available, but don't want it cluttering up my Live View, or worse, taking over the exposure meter when I don't need it. I use the Fx button to enable it, check my level, and then dismiss it again. I hope a firmware update can bring it back, and I'll be writing to Pentax to plead the case. Weird.
Press Info 2x and you can bring up the level
11-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
You asked ...

I rushed at my local photo booth during lunch break to get one K3, took useless pics just to see that shit working and ....

...coming from a K5 1st gen :
  • Looks well built / kinda heavy
  • It's quiet
  • Back screen is huge
  • Viewfinder is good
  • Burst mode is killing
  • Ergonomy's great, more an evolution than a revolution, took me 10 mins to configure the K3 as per my K5.
  • The overall reactivity is a leap forward...that shit is fast !
  • AF seems wayyyyy better than on my K5, it's fast and it's precise....but I havent had the chance to stress it as my battery died on me LOL

Im at work, no way I can inject my RAW's in Lr5 before at least 7/8 hours from now so I can't see my pics for now.

Overall first impression is DAMN GOOD !

Disclaimer :
I only had K20D and a K5 before in terms of REFLEX.
I never used the K5 2nd Generation.
I never used any other brand reflex
Im self taught, no photographic knowledge.
You will see my type of shooting in my gallery, mostly concert and portrait.
Thank you for posting thus useful snapshot - I guess I have to wait a few weeks more for the Silver Edition
11-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #45
Veteran Member

here is my first in camera jpeg to tiff conversion, as of yet Aperture will not open my DNG files
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldpondphotography/10600480843/