Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The "old" D-BG4 pretty much replicates the layout on the camera and there is a very good reason for doing so. I cannot get my head around the fact that the D-BG5 button layout is so different to that of the camera.
Hmm.....not sure if I am following you...

I have the D-BG4 grip and D-BG5 grip in front me now...and on the K-7 (same as the K-5), the D-BG4 grip has the green button at the top and the AF button at the button, which resemble the body's arrangement in that the green button is placed slightly higher than the AF button.

On the K-3's D-BG5 grip, the AF button is at the top and the green button is at the bottom....which also resemble the K-3's arrangement such that the AF button is placed above the green button....

11-09-2013, 04:10 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
On the K-3's D-BG5 grip, the AF button is at the top and the green button is at the bottom....which also resemble the K-3's arrangement such that the AF button is placed above the green button....
You are correct, but to me the important part is where the buttons are relative to the rear dial.

The default position for my thumb is over the AF button.
On the K-3 body, I'd have to move the thumb to the left to find the rear dial (see below).

In contrast, on the D-BG5, my thumb would have to move to the right (and up) to find the rear dial.

Say, I'm shooting in landscape orientation and move my thumb between rear dial and AF button to adjust the aperture and focus respectively. Now I'm turning the camera to portrait mode and if I continued the same movement pattern with my thumb, I'd be moving between rear dial and AE-L button.

Or when shooting in portrait orientation and switching between rear dial and AF button, a change to landscape orientation would lead me to operate rear dial and green button if I continued with the same movement pattern.

I find that changing orientations sometimes has to happen very quickly when you shoot documentary style and the last thing I want to think about is what movement pattern my thumb should be exercising right now.

I hope I explained myself better now. EDIT: Maybe I should add that I use the AF button and the rear dial without taking my eye off the viewfinder. All this adjusting must occur "blind". I'm still somewhat in disbelieve that they found no better solution for the grip button layout and combined this with the absence of a button remapping feature.

11-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #78
Veteran Member

I now see the rationale behind your shooting style....

Would you be giving the K-3 a miss and stick to your K-5 II?
11-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
By pressing the shutter button and the AF button (set to cancel AF), K-3 does not try to AF and I think this is quite handy.
Thanks for the explanation, I will definitely try that. I want to use AF-C for birds in trees, but AF-C and quick-shift are incompatible. With the AF button depressed, I will be able to switch from AF-C to Q-S manual focus and back.

The advantage I see with this is that the AF mode button on the front of the camera is hard to find by touch. I think the rear AF button will be quicker and more ergonomic.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-09-2013 at 05:09 AM.
11-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Would you be giving the K-3 a miss and stick to your K-5 II?
Due to budget limitations, the K-3 was a scheduled "miss" no matter what.

What concerns me is that I believe that the next Pentax flagship DSLR that I'll want to purchase will also use the D-BG5 and have the same body as the K-3. I just don't see them changing the user interface significantly.

No idea yet how I'm going to address this. I learned to love my D-BG4 but currently cannot see myself becoming happy with the D-BG5 (unless cameras start replicating its button layout).
11-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Thanks for the explanation, I will definitely try that. I want to use AF-C for birds in trees, but AF-C and quick-shift are incompatible. With the AF button depressed, I will be able to switch from AF-C to Q-S manual focus and back.

The advantage I see with this is that the AF mode button on the front of the camera is hard to find by touch. I think the rear AF button will be quicker and more ergonomic.
That is interesting....another shooting style

I am liking the AF button (set to cancel) at this stage because with my Sigma 105 macro (which does not have quick shift), pressing the AF button allows me to turn the focusing ring and when I am satisfied with the focus, I press the big shutter button. But when I am lazy, I will just release the AF button and let the camera focus itself.
11-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Due to budget limitations, the K-3 was a scheduled "miss" no matter what.

What concerns me is that I believe that the next Pentax flagship DSLR that I'll want to purchase will also use the D-BG5 and have the same body as the K-3. I just don't see them changing the user interface significantly.

No idea yet how I'm going to address this. I learned to love my D-BG4 but currently cannot see myself becoming happy with the D-BG5 (unless cameras start replicating its button layout).
I think your prediction is on the money...I too think that the future battery grip will be using the same D-BG5 as the K-3....unless Pentax deliver something radical with a totally different body altogether.

11-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #83
Veteran Member

I am liking the AF button (set to cancel) at this stage because with my Sigma 105 macro (which does not have quick shift), pressing the AF button allows me to turn the focusing ring and when I am satisfied with the focus, I press the big shutter button.
I just tried that with my FA 35mm, which does not have quick-shift focus. Unless I've misunderstood what you're doing, depressing the rear AF button does not disconnect the focus gears. When you turn the focus ring, the motor is still engaged. You should ever turn the focus ring with the gears engaged, you could damage your camera or lens.
11-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I just tried that with my FA 35mm, which does not have quick-shift focus. Unless I've misunderstood what you're doing, depressing the rear AF button does not disconnect the focus gears. When you turn the focus ring, the motor is still engaged. You should ever turn the focus ring with the gears engaged, you could damage your camera or lens.
Yes. You are indeed right there Audiobomber. I beg your pardon.

I tried with my DA35 Macro and it has quick shift so the MF does disconnect the focus gears. I retry on my Sigma 105 and it does not release the focus gears as you described. Not sure what I did earlier to disable AF on the sigma.....
11-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I retry on my Sigma 105 and it does not release the focus gears as you described. Not sure what I did earlier to disable AF on the sigma.....
Some people depress the lens unlock button to disengage the focus mechanism, which allows the focus ring to turn freely. (Be careful not to drop your lens.)