Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 06:47 AM - 4 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You asked ...

I rushed at my local photo booth during lunch break to get one K3, took useless pics just to see that shit working and ....

...coming from a K5 1st gen :
  • Looks well built / kinda heavy
  • It's quiet
  • Back screen is huge
  • Viewfinder is good
  • Burst mode is killing
  • Ergonomy's great, more an evolution than a revolution, took me 10 mins to configure the K3 as per my K5.
  • The overall reactivity is a leap forward...that shit is fast !
  • AF seems wayyyyy better than on my K5, it's fast and it's precise....but I havent had the chance to stress it as my battery died on me LOL

Im at work, no way I can inject my RAW's in Lr5 before at least 7/8 hours from now so I can't see my pics for now.

Overall first impression is DAMN GOOD !

Disclaimer :
I only had K20D and a K5 before in terms of REFLEX.
I never used the K5 2nd Generation.
I never used any other brand reflex
Im self taught, no photographic knowledge.
You will see my type of shooting in my gallery, mostly concert and portrait.

10-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #17

So never liked early Pentax DSLRs but the K-3 looks promising.
10-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
You asked ...

I rushed at my local photo booth during lunch break to get one K3, took useless pics just to see that shit working and ....

...coming from a K5 1st gen :
  • Looks well built / kinda heavy
  • It's quiet
  • Back screen is huge
  • Viewfinder is good
  • Burst mode is killing
  • Ergonomy's great, more an evolution than a revolution, took me 10 mins to configure the K3 as per my K5.
  • The overall reactivity is a leap forward...that shit is fast !
  • AF seems wayyyyy better than on my K5, it's fast and it's precise....but I havent had the chance to stress it as my battery died on me LOL

Im at work, no way I can inject my RAW's in Lr5 before at least 7/8 hours from now so I can't see my pics for now.

Overall first impression is DAMN GOOD !

Disclaimer :
I only had K20D and a K5 before in terms of REFLEX.
I never used the K5 2nd Generation.
I never used any other brand reflex
Im self taught, no photographic knowledge.
You will see my type of shooting in my gallery, mostly concert and portrait.
Thank you for posting! Did you find any issues with front focusing on your lenses that has been reported on another forum? Or was selecting autofocus points cumbersome or not as smooth in comparison to the K-5 as was also suggested there?
10-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
any chance you can try the bounce flash ?

10-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Thank you for posting! Did you find any issues with front focusing on your lenses that has been reported on another forum? Or was selecting autofocus points cumbersome or not as smooth in comparison to the K-5 as was also suggested there?
Kim,

I can't tell about front /back focusing yet, I've no more power on the camera and no way of seeing the pics in the SDCard.

AF selection point is a breeze...Im using this mode for like 99% of my pics and it's way faster / precise with the K3. but maybe I didnt understand the question
10-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #21

Original Poster
Kim,

I can't tell about front /back focusing yet, I've no more power on the camera and no way of seeing the pics in the SDCard.

AF selection point is a breeze...Im using this mode for like 99% of my pics and it's way faster / precise with the K3. but maybe I didnt understand the question
Sorry, I think I misread about the AF. It was about the change from how one selects changing from AF-S to AF-C and from single point focus to multi-point focus and this particular user's frustrations for the change. I'm not sure if it is okay to link the forum thread at that other forum here or not.
10-31-2013, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Sorry, I think I misread about the AF. It was about the change from how one selects changing from AF-S to AF-C and from single point focus to multi-point focus and this particular user's frustrations for the change. I'm not sure if it is okay to link the forum thread at that other forum here or not.
OK I did undestood the question but to be honest I dont know where the problem is ??!!

Going from AF-S to AF-C is 2 clicks (I know it was just one before) but it is blazing fast to do !
From single to multi point focus is 1 click (same as before, well before it was rotating a knob now it's pressing a button)

Keep in mind the reactivity with the menus, buttons etc is so much faster than the K5 that the whole K3 seems A LOT faster to operate to me.

If the only issue of this K3 is this, We have a WINNER

10-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #23

Original Poster

If the only issue of this K3 is this, We have a WINNER
I hope your batteries charge up soon and you post some images! You are making me so excited! I am thinking about buying it and upgrading from my K-r.
10-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This is a good idea for a thread. Maybe it should be pinned.

Hopefully it will also include critical comments about faults and problems too. They can be useful. Already there has been a report on PF of a QC problem with the diopter mechanism, and over in another forum a respected user has had significant, uncorrectable front-focus problems with many of his lenses. Useful stuff to look out for.
+1 to pin that thread !

It would make things a lot easier to navigate instead of the forthcoming dozen or so threads which will deal with the same subject.

JP
10-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #25
Forum Member

It's so exciting that I can get K-3 Silver tomorrow and I will have a quick review (of course including photos) to our forum
10-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Same here! Not getting much work done this AM waiting for the Postie... "out for delivery" and all that. I really thought you'd have yours yesterday, Marc!
You should have it by the weekend then !

Hopefully, you can provide us with some great sample shots ....

Out of context:
(BTW ... still working on this SDM conversion .... will be back)

JP
10-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I hope your batteries charge up soon and you post some images! You are making me so excited! I am thinking about buying it and upgrading from my K-r.
Please wait for a full report on the image quality, so far I only had the chance to try the ergonomy of it...and I feel frustrated

Ill post pics in about 6 hours from now at the latest, wont be interrsting shot, more some kind of maniac shooting haha...
Sun is getting low, cloudy sky...I cant wait to use it
10-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

U guys no need to think what u will do coming weekend
10-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
can you give a feedback on the bounce flash if you can
10-31-2013, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

It's heeeeerrrre!