Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Couldn't find a definitive answer on this, so is it "Pentax" on the rear LCD (from PhotoPlus 10/26/13), or "Ricoh" (from 11/1/13)?

11-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #32
Pentaxian

The Pentax one is pre-production. Ricoh is standard production. Surprised you had trouble finding an answer to that, it's all over this forum.
11-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
One of the biggest things I have learned in reading these K-3 threads is how little I know about RAW file processing! I didn't even know it was important to have these profiles everyone is talking about.
Indeed. Perhaps someone with the right gear will build a profile for the K-3 they can share?
11-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

The shutter on my K-3 is a little louder than it is on my K-5. Not a big difference, but I noticed it with the first shot.
AF with my Sigma glass has been spot on. Very impressed with the accuracy even at F/1.4.

I have a couple of events this weekend that should challenge the new AF and sensor.

11-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm kind of kicking myself for cheaping out and not getting faster shipping now! :P
11-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
"Things I've noticed about the K-3 so far"

That mine is not in my hands yet, and I am going stir crazy.

That is all.
This pretty much sums it up for me as well.
11-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #37

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heribert Quote
No, only the K 20 D works so. Since K-7 the mirror doesn't move from LifeView to exposure.
My mistake it didn't . I used to set PDAF on K-x since the CDAF was useless and the mirror was flopping all over the place. And the K5 after an image has been taken and the camera stopped showing the preview I always hear a "thunk" noise that's why I thought that was the mirror has to do an extra flop
11-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I was very pleased to see that the K-3 software is DCU5, not the horribly obtuse Silkypix bundled with the Q and K-01.
DCU 5 is made by SilkyPix, this is good, as that means SilkyPix will be updating thier software soon to support the K3.

11-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
AFAIK, you are the first person to confirm whether or not the K-3 does not support AF during video, so thanks.

I'd be curious to hear more details about your impression of the focus peaking and its weaknesses -- in due time of course.
actually after reading other posts AF does exist during video recording (by holding the af button). I tested this, it does work but EXTREMELY slow, you're better off manual focusing anyways
11-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Azzy Quote
actually after reading other posts AF does exist during video recording (by holding the af button). I tested this, it does work but EXTREMELY slow, you're better off manual focusing anyways
Isn't refocusing in video supposed to be done slowly?
11-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #41

There's slow and smooth focusing and then there snail pace k-3 video focusing
11-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Your description is a bit ambiguous so this may not be relevant, but do you realise that you can operate the ISO and EV buttons in two ways? You can either "click / turn / click" or "hold & turn". It would appear that the latter mode would allow consistent operation throughout.

I'm not sure what Ricoh's "Multi-AWB" is about. It could either be just a cleverer way of arriving at the regular colour temperature and tint settings or it could actually apply different WB to different parts of the image.

It is almost certain that Adobe will never support the latter in ACR / LR. Before that happens we'll see wired tethering of the K-3 supported by LR and some further impossible things.
Any chance that this could be handled better with the provided software that comes with the K3 ?
Just curious to see if anyone has tried it for that particular prupose.

JP
11-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another post about the noise in the K-3 images, this time when pushing the shadows and exposure up. Did this all the time with my K-5 images with great results, but the K-3 is noticeably more finicky in post-processing (at least as of Nov. 1, 2013, with no 3rd party processing software having a raw profile for the PEFs, and only using a "dumb" generic profile for the DNGs).

Here is a 100% pixel crop with no noise reduction from an image I shot today at the Royal Ontario Museum. Exposure comp. was -2 and ISO was 800 to get a decent shutter speed (darn SR isn't very effective for me). I had to push the exposure and shadows quite a bit to get the image I was looking for, but again, that luminance noise reared it's head. (I should add here that I, sheepishly, found out Adobe Camera Raw 8.1 turns on Color (chroma) Noise Reduction by default, which is why I'm only seeing the luminance noise...)

Here are the settings I used in ACR 8.1:

And here is the resulting portion of the image:

But here is what I get when I use Nik Dfine2 and Nik Output Sharpener Pro 3 (and yes, it is over the top NR - that's the point):

I'm personally not a big fan of the "plastic NR look" of this result (I purposely went overboard in the postwork) which tends to kill fine details (look at the tile highlights on the right, and the plasticky bricks), but it seems this is what you get when you try to really push the exposure in post processing with the K-3 sensor (and current raw converters).

Last edited by panoguy; 11-02-2013 at 06:17 AM.
11-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another new thing I like about the K-3:

Press the INFO button while reviewing images, and instead of just switching to the next type of single-image and info display, a big set of icons pops up with ALL the various single-image display methods that you can scroll through with the rear dial. Just like the AF options in Live View!

Next, if you "zoom all the way out" to the folder or multi-image display and press INFO, you get another set of icons to scroll through, allowing up to 80 images on screen at once, or even a calendar-based "filmstrip" display. Double nice!
11-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Next, if you "zoom all the way out" to the folder or multi-image display and press INFO, you get another set of icons to scroll through, allowing up to 80 images on screen at once, or even a calendar-based "filmstrip" display. Double nice!
This one is adapted from Nikon I believe, and is indeed quite nice. it's great that Pentax itself doesn't have brand snobbery and choose to adapt the good features (and actually improve on it). Things like this gives me confidence for the brand

How fast is the review? on D600 it takes 1.5 seconds to get to this view. I'm guessing the K-3 is faster