Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Looks good to me.

What is it that you do when you say: " proceeded to do the usual two stage denoising that I used in my K-5IIs"
I am asking because I am wondering if this two-step procedure can be also done with Photoshop CS5 and/or with Noiseware Pro.

Thnaks for sharing.

JP

11-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"2-stage" means that there are two denoising routines in the processing pipeline, one after the other. The first is a non-local means based routine that does a first pass on the luma and chroma noise ("normal" channel). The second is a wavelet-based routine working on the color channel that removes the moire. I have no intimate knowledge of the black magic that makes it work. I just know that it does for me.

Jack
11-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #138

I hope you don't mind me taking a second to rant first. How, in this day and age, is it acceptable to pay for "2nd Business Day" and have UPS deliver it at 6:50pm? Don't they know what they DID to me all day?

Since the sun was down, I went with my favorite "go-to" exposure and focusing stress test. I present, "Sleeping Black Dog Facing Away From CFL Lamp"

I also attached the camera's version.

Attached Images

11-05-2013, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #139
Pentaxian

Cross posted from Post your Photos

How does a Chickadee shell a sunflower seed?

Hold it in your feet…

Have a good look..

Poke around in the shell…

Yum, tastes good.

Go back to the feeder and start again.

K-3 and burst mode...

11-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Had some fun time this WE testing K-3 with my home Studio light set.

A daughter & his Daddy - Pentax 50-135mm - f9 - 1/160 - 100 ISO - Manual mode - AF Selection dot - Green Metering -

Sharpness is great out of the box, minor corrections with WB, vignetting, contrast and jpeg export (resized / 100% quality) in Lr5.2.
11-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #141
Forum Member

Fantastic shots everyone! Can I please make a request for someone to shoot the milky way at high ISO's (3200, 6400 and 12,800) - I'm really keen to see how it stacks up against the K5 I have (original K5) - that'll be the decider for me as I do a lot of astrophotography shots

Aiming for something like this I took back in August (ISO6400 Pentax K5): _IGP0502.png
11-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Had some fun time this WE testing K-3 with my home Studio light set.
Great setup, and great results. Impressively sharp, and unlike older folks, she can take it!

QuoteOriginally posted by weathermon Quote
Fantastic shots everyone! Can I please make a request for someone to shoot the milky way at high ISO's (3200, 6400 and 12,800) - I'm really keen to see how it stacks up against the K5 I have (original K5) - that'll be the decider for me as I do a lot of astrophotography shots

Aiming for something like this I took back in August (ISO6400 Pentax K5): _IGP0502.png
If you invite me down there in the summer, I'll gladly bring my K-3 and you can show me how you got that great shot... then you can decide.

11-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #143
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

here are a few flowers showing original and then massive crop with fa77 and in house flash

IMGD0150
by pearsaab, on Flickr
IMGD0150 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

cropped

IMGD0150
(2) by pearsaab, on
Flickr
IMGD0150 (2) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGD0151
by pearsaab, on Flickr
IMGD0151 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

cropped

IMGD0151-2
by pearsaab, on Flickr
IMGD0151-2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
11-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #144
Veteran Member

its amazing how much sharper this camera appears to be compared to the original K5 with the same lenses.

I threw the DA*50-135 on tonight to see how it renders, and while I got distracted by my son pretty quick, I did snap off a high iso of my D800 I thought I would share.

in addition, yesterday while taking a few shots I noticed that the AF gets very confused in bright situations...

focus point was on the branch just left of the lens flare.

one thing I noticed... after the shutter releases there is an electronic "boink" noise from the prism. Thats how I would describe it anyways. it's subtle... anyone else notice this?
11-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #145
Forum Member

11-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #146

K3, Sigma 10-20 4-5.6

Hello everybody! In late October, I had the opportunity to spend a short test the newest camera Pentax K3. I tried to maximum use this opportunity and experience the camera in different conditions - night shot at slow shutter speeds, shooting at high ISO shooting intracameral HDR RAW and shooting sport in difficult conditions.
11-05-2013, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #147

Hello everybody! In late October, I had the opportunity to spend a short test the newest camera Pentax K3. I tried to maximum use this opportunity and experience the camera in different conditions - night shot at slow shutter speeds, shooting at high ISO shooting intracameral HDR RAW and shooting sport in difficult conditions.

11-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #148

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
It's only redundant if someone else starts a thread with images in it!

EDIT: Because some folks are too (___) to be bothered with a useful plugin to show them the EXIF data in every image, I've taken screenshots of what I see when I right-click and choose "Show EXIF." There is no reason for me to repeat this in the future. Go get a plugin for your browser if you want more information than what I write. They even have EXIF viewing plugins for phones!

Let's get the ball rolling, on this Halloween Night! (FYI, the EXIF is intact in the images, but they are hosted on my own site, so get EXIF Everywhere to right-click and see it all) Here is a Vampire Girl (white and green makeup on her face) under the harsh glare of the pop-up flash with the DA 35mm Macro Ltd:

And here is a 100% pixel-level crop:

And apropos of the evening, here is a pumpkin in the rain (at ISO 12800, but noise reduced in Nik Define, and resized to tinyville for the web), also from the DA 35mm Macro Ltd:

The K-3 has no focus problems at night, even with a macro lens.
Wow! The detail on these pics is way above what I get with my K7. Envy and desire setting in....
11-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I noticed that the AF gets very confused in bright situations...
It's not bright situations per se, but direct sun right into the lens, with lots of lens flare and ghosting as an additional bonus getting in the way of the AF. It's hardly surprising that the AF had problems.

The AF is 'only' rated for a sensitivity of -3 to 18 EV too. Shooting directly into the sun may conceivably bump the AF past it's upper sensitivity limit.
11-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
IMGD0151-2
by pearsaab, on Flickr
Awesome detail.
The FA77 seems to like the K-3.