Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16938 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2013, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Okay, so in another thread I mentioned I'd rented a K-3 for VCU's home opener against Illinois State. The K-3 had some AF issues in the low light environment (it would seemingly lock focus, but it looks like it may be back focusing with Sigma HSM lenses), but other than that it performed quite admirably. I think it would be a fine front line sports camera once the "firmware 1.0" issues are worked out. The faster burst mode helped me catch some shots I couldn't with my K-5 IIs.

11-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man, those are awesome, som elf those guys look they are cut outs pasted on the background.

End of the day… same old same old… you just have to go out and shoot a couple…. K-3 A-400 3200 ISO

11-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Those are some beautifully sharp basketball shots.
11-10-2013, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #214
Pentaxian

Went to the "Reptile Expo" with my son today (and had to repeatedly say "no, we're just looking!") and brought the K-3 and 35 Ltd. for some low-light macros. While it was snakes, snakes, snakes for the most part, there were also some nice "legged" reptiles, amphibians, and the occasional Tawny Owl!

That last shot is an axolotl (yes, they are captive-bred as pets) under UV light! K-3 WB did a great job through thick arcrylic and under such strange light...

Last edited by panoguy; 11-10-2013 at 07:57 PM.
11-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #215

OK, I'm getting used to the K3 and it's a beast. Love this thing.

11-10-2013, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome rugby shots, though I don't wanna know what's happening in that first one, bahaha.
11-10-2013, 10:27 PM - 2 Likes   #217
Veteran Member

K3 with FA 43mm f1.9

and for comparison... D800 with Zeiss 50mm f1.4

My opinions? The D800 is much more vivid, but the Pentax seems to be sharper to me for some reason. I also find the starbursts are much nicer on the FA 43 than the Zeiss...

and back to K3

and B&W version

11-10-2013, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #218
Veteran Member

I gotten the K3 on Saturday morning, just in time for the Anime Festival Asia 2013 in Singapore. Such a great time for me to try and use the K3.

The camera as a whole felt a bit heavier but the grip is so much better. The new battery grip also felt better than the old one.

I have try the multi-zone white balance. It is great and quite accurate. However, I think it is better to take in JPEG or Raw +. I have issues with the white balance when i am editing the photo in lightroom with RAW file (DNG Format).

As for AF speed, I personally can't feel much difference with the K5iis. Maybe need more using of it to know it it is faster. However, in Live View mode, it's a different story. It is way better than the K5 or K5IIs. It is also much faster than the K30. When it takes the photo at LV, it is somehow feel as fast as the K01 which is impressive.
A picture with live view:

Some shots at the AFA..
Shot with FA31.

Trying out shooting people walking towards me with FA77. Focus seem good and fast.

Have to do AF Fine adjustment for my FA24 which I could not achieve sharp images by default.
Some images with FA24:

My 1st set of battery is close to flat for 2 days shots, felt the battery life is shorter, however, I'm using my old K01 Battery which also could be worn out. So not a good way to gauge the battery life on K3.
11-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #219
Forum Member

Fall foliage with the K3

Hye in the Bosque | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Rio Grande Bosque | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Rio Grande Bosque | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

These JPEG files. The portrait was edited and the other two are unedited. Adobe Camera Raw has not added the K3 PEF raw format to their database yet.
11-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #220
Magz

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
K3 with FA 43mm f1.9

and for comparison... D800 with Zeiss 50mm f1.4

My opinions? The D800 is much more vivid, but the Pentax seems to be sharper to me for some reason. I also find the starbursts are much nicer on the FA 43 than the Zeiss...

and back to K3

and B&W version

Hi

With regards with the bridge shot comparison between the K3 + D800...

With regards to the color, it merely appears that your K-3 white balance was off. Too much of a green tint coming through, thats all. It will explain why the D800 shot appears to have better color. What did you have it set to? With a minor adjustment (touch more magenta) in the likes of PS or LR, I''m sure you'll have that K-3 shot's color looking as nice as the color of the D800 shot.

But... for the most part, I think that the K-3 appears to produce the better file over all. I was looking at them both in large view on flickr. To cite an example of how, have a look down through the tree branches towards the circular foot bridge. The D800 shot appears to me as rather flat. It doesn't feel like there is as much space, air and light compared to the k-3 shot. The K-3 looks far more spacial, 3D and life like to me. It appears to show more depth in my opinion. And yes, those star bursts are looking lovely on the k-3 file. Correct the colour and I think you'll have a stand out shot with the k-3 file! (in this particular case anyway.)

Thanks for the post of these. So nice to know that a camera nearing a 1/3rd of the price of a d800 is going to pack a punch up there with the big boys. These RAW files are going to offer so much in PP. Cant wait to play with some in Lightroom!!! MY K-3 SHOULD ARRIVE TOMORROW! I'll try put up some samples when I get a chance.
11-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #221
Magz

QuoteOriginally posted by ranchy Quote
I gotten the K3 on Saturday morning, just in time for the Anime Festival Asia 2013 in Singapore. Such a great time for me to try and use the K3.

The camera as a whole felt a bit heavier but the grip is so much better. The new battery grip also felt better than the old one.

I have try the multi-zone white balance. It is great and quite accurate. However, I think it is better to take in JPEG or Raw +. I have issues with the white balance when i am editing the photo in lightroom with RAW file (DNG Format).

As for AF speed, I personally can't feel much difference with the K5iis. Maybe need more using of it to know it it is faster. However, in Live View mode, it's a different story. It is way better than the K5 or K5IIs. It is also much faster than the K30. When it takes the photo at LV, it is somehow feel as fast as the K01 which is impressive.
A picture with live view:

Some shots at the AFA..
Shot with FA31.

Trying out shooting people walking towards me with FA77. Focus seem good and fast.

Have to do AF Fine adjustment for my FA24 which I could not achieve sharp images by default.
Some images with FA24:

My 1st set of battery is close to flat for 2 days shots, felt the battery life is shorter, however, I'm using my old K01 Battery which also could be worn out. So not a good way to gauge the battery life on K3.
Hi

Um... an FA 31mm on a K-3??? WOW! Don't know what else to say... Spectacular. How the heck am I supposed to get an FA 31mm?? I will need a logistical answer, so if you can offer one! ; )

thanks for the posts.
11-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #222
Veteran Member

Since I bought my Pentax K-3 about a week ago, I've shot in various conditions and took some time to test various features of this camera.
I really think this is a great tool and a good step forward comparing to my K-5. But I loved my K-5 so much I still feels bad about going away with my K-3

For my kind of shooting I can't see a point or aspect where the K-3 is inferior, even the increase in file size is not that much of an issue with Lr5 Dynamic preview, everyhting's OK on my 2011 Imac.

The last thing Ill check with anxiety is some concert shooting later this month, but as I very rarely shoot above 1600 ISO I feel confident I'll have some great pictures to show you guys

Until then, here is a nice image I did today that came out great I think
There was a natural reflections of the sun on a giant colored window on the right side of the model that totally blew my mind ! the nature and the lady became suddenly illuminated with some killing atmosphere.
And yes she was shooting with a Pentax K20D

Another, more graphical shot, with the same lady.

Hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I do

DimC
11-11-2013, 05:02 PM - 6 Likes   #223
Veteran Member

11-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #224
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Wow ! Dane, these are amazing wake-up shots !!!!
11-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
I think I saw that guy on a quarter or something. Great shots!