Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #2416
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,367
QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
Hi john5100! Long time no see! How would you compare the K-3 to the K-5 for low light concert photography? Is the K-3 as good as the K-5 in low light?

Hey there!! Not sure because I have never used a K5 but I suspect they are about the same. The K5 series is wonderful and I think the 16 MP sensor is about the right size. I just wanted to latest camera with the latest tech. Coming from the KX which I loved for concerts, I get a solid 1 or 2 stop advantage with the K3 and I get better AF.

Note: One thing to remember too is that there was a really talk guy in front of me and his arm was in my line of sight. I cropped these images to remove him so the noise is even more exaggerated.


Last edited by john5100; 09-24-2014 at 04:11 PM.
09-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #2417
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 537
Sound of Jura this evening with the Sigma 35mm Art

09-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #2418
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,367
unkipunki - Very nice work
09-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #2419
Senior Member
Into The Lens's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Between clever and stupid
Photos: Albums
Posts: 216
Oh, thanks John5100. I was under the impression you had a K-5. Cheers!

09-24-2014, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #2420
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,367
Ben,

Nope - I bought the KX because I didn't want the K7 for concerts and I knew that something like the K5 would be out soon. After I bought the KX I really liked it and I kept using it until the K3 came out. I almost bought the K5IIs but I was nervous about the flash inconstancy. I think the K5 series rocks though.
09-25-2014, 01:36 AM   #2421
Site Supporter
Arne Bo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hamburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 123
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Arne - I think your's looks good. Colors are nice and exposure seems fine.

For high ISO (In PP) I move the blacks to the left and highlights to the right. I leave clarity alone because it introduces more noise. For sharpness, I move the slider to about 55, and radius to about 1.3, Luminescence noise reduction to about 15 and masking to about 93. Exposure is the key though. Don't be afraid of noise. It's part of the experience. Make sure it's correct ahead of time.
Thanks for tips. We have a korean festival this weekend. IŽll try to get some shots and will show them here. (If the outcome is not to embarrasing )
09-25-2014, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #2422
Pentaxian
Arjay Bee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bamaga, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,993
Talking of high ISO:



f5.6 1/30s 6400 105mm DA50-200
09-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #2423
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 537
After the sun went down with the Sigma 35mm Art



And some waving coastal grass with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX DG HSM (a bit of fun)



09-25-2014, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #2424
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,654
QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
Hi john5100! Long time no see! How would you compare the K-3 to the K-5 for low light concert photography? Is the K-3 as good as the K-5 in low light?
I have both and I would say the K-5 has slightly better performance with respect to noise in low light shots, and the raw files are somehow more malleable, but the K-3 can focus quickly and accurately in light so low the K-5 would never be able to find focus. So, if I were shooting low light concerts all the time, I would lean to the K-3 and investigate the best noise reduction software if it were bothering me.
09-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #2425
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,720
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
So, if I were shooting low light concerts all the time, I would lean to the K-3 and investigate the best noise reduction software if it were bothering me.
Seconding this. Both the K-3 and K-5 can work OK in low-light, and produce good results, but the K-3 AF is more reliable.
09-27-2014, 02:19 AM   #2426
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 480
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
And some waving coastal grass with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX DG HSM (a bit of fun)
This shot caught my attention. Apart from the fact that it's a beautiful picture, it actually evokes an emotional response.
09-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #2427
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 537
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
unkipunki - Very nice work
Thank you john5100 I'm very pleased with how this came out. The Sigma 35mm Art is a great lens for details in clouds and I find the Sigma rendering pleasing for these type of scenes

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
This shot caught my attention. Apart from the fact that it's a beautiful picture, it actually evokes an emotional response.
Thanks KDAFA. It was a very quick drop to one knee type shot en route to setting up a tripod etc for the other recent shots I posted. I trust the emotional response you had was a pleasant one
09-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #2428
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 480
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
A few with the DA HD 20-40mm
Particularly liked the first shot - I'm seeing nice rich colours, good detail and deep contrasts. Is this how this lens typically renders, ie. its typical "look", or this was after some PP? (No doubt the lighting was favourable too).

Last edited by KDAFA; 09-27-2014 at 06:55 AM.
09-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #2429
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 537
QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
Particularly liked the first shot - I'm seeing nice rich colours, good detail and deep contrasts. Is this how this lens typically renders, ie. its typical "look", or this was after some PP? (No doubt the lighting was favourable too).

Hi, there was some significant PP involved as I like to bracket and combine. However sometimes I admit to doing this just because I can and a reworking of a single shot would produce better/different results. But in answer to you question the DA HD 20-40 ltd renders in a very classic Pentax limited manner. The attached image is the 0+/- EV shot from the handheld bracketing of the shot you referred to. I have simple resized in photoshop with no alteration made in Adobe Camera Raw. The exception is a slight sharpening of the resized jpeg. To my eyes I like the initial rendering (remember this a RAW file converted to jpeg with no alterations, not a file that has been influenced by the camera's JPEG engine in any way). Also yes the lighting at the time was favourable.

09-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #2430
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 480
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Hi, there was some significant PP involved as I like to bracket and combine. However sometimes I admit to doing this just because I can and a reworking of a single shot would produce better/different results. But in answer to you question the DA HD 20-40 ltd renders in a very classic Pentax limited manner. The attached image is the 0+/- EV shot from the handheld bracketing of the shot you referred to. I have simple resized in photoshop with no alteration made in Adobe Camera Raw. The exception is a slight sharpening of the resized jpeg. To my eyes I like the initial rendering (remember this a RAW file converted to jpeg with no alterations, not a file that has been influenced by the camera's JPEG engine in any way). Also yes the lighting at the time was favourable.
Lovely shot ...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
australia, auto, bittern, da, dslr, exposure, fa, flickr, info, iso, jpg, k-3, k3, k5-iis, morning, pentax k-3, photography, pics, pm, post, sample, shot, shots, sunbird, thread, wb
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Q street shots - post them here. barondla Pentax Q 254 04-22-2016 05:46 PM
Suggestion Create ONE thread with K3 sample shots to make it easier to navigate jpzk Site Suggestions and Help 2 10-31-2013 07:51 PM
DA 55-300 Sample Shots (x7), no post processing cputeq Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 07-04-2008 01:01 AM
Post Your Eclipse shots here. vievetrick Post Your Photos! 34 02-25-2008 08:14 AM
Spring! Post your Motorcycle shots here! slip Post Your Photos! 33 04-28-2007 05:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top