Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #2536
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Hope the K3 works out. It is very different from the K-01, that's for sure.

A couple of shots with the DA *16-50

Like the second shot - very serene and quiet.

10-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #2537
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
I think they look good too and they are hard subjects to capture. I especially like the 1st one.

I don't think you need too be so aggressive with NR. A little noise is okay and it allows you to keep a little more detail. Further, I find that if the scene is exposed correctly then noise isn't such an issue. Just as a side, you can hide some noise by increasing the blacks a little. Not enough to make the image muddy but enough to hide a little noise. I do it all of the time with my concert photography.

I used that technique with this ISO 5000 photo because I wanted to keep the detail in the subject.

Susy Sun
by John Rudolph Photography, on Flickr

fwwidall - well done with a difficult shot.
Thanks for the advice. I'll will try it and post my results. This is very helpful. I shouldn't be so afraid of blacks.
10-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #2538
Site Supporter

A couple of shots with the DA *16-50
Nice. Your landscape images definitely have a signature look about them. Not many people are able to achieve this.

Just as a side, you can hide some noise by increasing the blacks a little. Not enough to make the image muddy but enough to hide a little noise.
This is excellent advice...I also regularly use this technique and can attest to its effectiveness.
Even in a very low noise shot, if an image is a little washed out, increasing the black level slightly can help to improve contrast significantly.
10-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #2539
Loyal Site Supporter

Hope the K3 works out. It is very different from the K-01, that's for sure.
I hope so too. It definitely is.

QuoteOriginally posted by RainMan Quote
Wonderful capture and light. Range of tones is very nice indeed.

Cheers,

RM
Glad you like it. Thanks!

Wow gorgeous shot
Much appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Very nice and in continuation with what we're seeing from you in other threads.
Thank you. I suppose that I do have a certain style.

10-16-2014, 03:04 AM   #2540
Loyal Site Supporter

Sample shots--fall color

Fall color has returned to northern Ohio.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-16-2014, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #2541

Photos: Gallery
Hi FWWidell, nice shot. I have been shooting teenager basketball with the K3 & 50-135 for about a year (and the K5 for several years before that). I think basketball is a challenging sport to shoot because of the speed of play and the usual poor lighting that you have to deal with in basketball courts. I have found the K3 is a big improvement on the K5 for focus and resolution (cropability) with similar noise capability.

If I might comment on camera setup - I see you made the shot at 1/1000s, F2.8 and iso 6400. My suggestion would be to pull back on the shutter speed to lower the iso leaving the aperture wide open. I think the IQ of your shots will be markedly better at ISO 1600 or lower, still can be ok at 3200 but pushing the limits at 6400. To get the lower ISO needs lower shutter speed without going too low and having a totally blurred player. I find that at 1/320 you can usually have the player sharp and occasionally feet/hands/ball maybe blurred from movement but sometimes this adds to the image (IMHO). At 1/500 you get sharp images and 1/1000 is overkill if u sacrifice ISO. This is assuming that you standing on the sidelines and shooting at around 75mm. (I have found the best place to stand is at the corner of the court and a yard or two towards the centre of the court on the side with the best light).
Other camera setup that you might consider is TAv (320 or 500/F2.8), AFC, back button focus, Sel 2 or 3 with centre point, 1st frame focus priority and no/low AF hold status, Hi continuous burst, RAW. I find the best technique is to have the lens focussed in the vicinity of where you anticipate the action to occur, hit & hold the focus button and hold the frame on the player and then hit the shutter at the point when they are about to release the ball or at the best point of the action and take 2-4 frames.
The 50-135 is well regarded for its IQ but gets frequent bad press on this forum for being one of the slowest focussing lenses and not a sports lens. I actually find it very capable if you are not trying to go from infinity to your toes - it seems to me to be very fast within a segment of the focus range and I have taken 100's of sharp action photos. Maybe the back focus button is the key to focus the lens before the action starts.
Hope this helps and/or encourage further basketball shooting tips.
10-16-2014, 03:40 AM   #2542
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erdž Quote
Nice. Your landscape images definitely have a signature look about them. Not many people are able to achieve this.

This is excellent advice...I also regularly use this technique and can attest to its effectiveness.
Even in a very low noise shot, if an image is a little washed out, increasing the black level slightly can help to improve contrast significantly.
In fact, I've found that generally speaking, controlling the black levels is a very useful alternative to the more commonly used method of bumping up the contrast. It's more subtle, and yields a different effect. And sometimes, depending on the picture, I use both in tandem.
10-16-2014, 03:44 AM   #2543
Site Supporter

A couple of shots with some fall color.

10-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #2544
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Fall color has returned to northern Ohio.
Makes me feel like going looking for Buckeye nuts...
10-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #2545
Site Supporter

I tried a few of your tips. I think it looks better. Skin tones are better as well this time. i cropped it a bit.

Here my first try again:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-16-2014, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #2546
Pentaxian

K-3 - Sigma 70 Macro.. cross posted in all appropriate threads (macro club, Sigma Club, K-3 club, Post your photos)

A few fungi happened to get in the way.

Slideshow.
10-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #2547
Pentaxian

#1 is the stand out for me in this series Norm but all are luscious.
10-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #2548
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arne Bo Quote
I tried a few of your tips. I think it looks better. Skin tones are better as well this time. i cropped it a bit.

Here my first try again:
Arne Bo

Much better. I can tell that the light was difficult and you captured it well. I feel like I am part of the experience.
10-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #2549

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-3 - Sigma 70 Macro.. cross posted in all appropriate threads (macro club, Sigma Club, K-3 club, Post your photos)

A few fungi happened to get in the way.

Slideshow.
Love the last one. That is delicious.
maria
10-17-2014, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #2550
Site Supporter

Patoka Lake.