Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #4201
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Hagia Sophia? One of the most incredible buildings I've ever been in.
No. We were in the Hagia Sophia, but this is a much smaller basilica-style church, much later construction than HS, called Chora.Chruch (GOOGLE: Chora Church, Istanbul). Most of it was build in the late 11th century. As with HS, the mosaics were covered by plaster during the Ottoman period, probably some damage from then, some when the plaster was removed, and probably some just from the ravages of time. The mosaics have a complete life of Mary, including a gorgeous ceiling roundel with Mary at center and her ancestry (all males) back to king David because she was "of the house of David". She had to be: Impossible in the thinking of the time for a king or god to be born from ordinary people - he had to have or be of "royal blood." Hence also why Joseph cannot in any way participate in parenthood. Also in the thinking of the time, a god had to live an exact number of years, no fractions. Hence Christmas comes close to the Winter Solstice, nine months from the S[ring Equinox when Mary received the Holy Spirit, and Easter of necessity fall about the Spring Equinox, so Jesus in the ancient thinking was conceived and died on the same day and so was on Earth an exactly even number of years, no fractional year.

Cannot off hand remember the significant event portrayed in the mosaic posted.

07-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #4202
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA*50-135 @ 123mm Nice portrait lens......

07-04-2015, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #4203
Loyal Site Supporter

Because several were interested in the previously posted mosaic, from the same church here is Mary surrounded by her ancestry to David (I think at the 4 o'clock position with blue toga and red cloak), and another of Peter with his symbolic keys.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 11:58 AM.
07-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #4204
Pentaxian

FA 31....Fireworks in Moline Illinois.....

07-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #4205
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Because several were interested in the previously posted mosaic, from the same church here is Mary surrounded by her ancestry to David (I think at the 4 o'clock position with blue toga and red cloak), and another of Peter with his symbolic keys.

David is at 4 o'clock. Interestingly the 'v' has changed from the ancient Greek 'u' tot eh Cyrillic letter with the 'v' sound.

As for the first one, the way to find out which of the miracles it is is for someone to read us the inscription.
07-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #4206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
David is at 4 o'clock. Interestingly the 'v' has changed from the ancient Greek 'u' tot eh Cyrillic letter with the 'v' sound.

As for the first one, the way to find out which of the miracles it is is for someone to read us the inscription.
Those churches are part of Eastern Orthodox Church, the first church even Vatican denies that. As King Constantine (born in Naisus or Nis, Serbia) brought the Christianity to the world, even he was a Roman Emperor the churches there used Cyrillic letters as those were native to populations there, speak Bulgarians, Serbians, Russians and some other folks that used Slavic language and the mosaics were done in that language. Later as the Constantinople was invaded by the Turks, Ottoman Empire, all churches were converted to mosques and city name changed.

Some eastern orthodox priest can read properly the inscriptions...
07-05-2015, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #4207
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Nice!

How do you find 24 Samyang TS? I have been lusting after this lens..not sure yet.
About the Samyang:
1) At wider apertures IQ is not as good as the Canon 24mm TSS I used years ago (purchased a used Canon body to be able to use the lens). Specifically, edges are a little disappointing up to f5.6. I try to use f8~11 which seem to be optimum and provide good IQ across the FOV, Image posted was @ f11 (cloudless day in the desert).
2) The lens is bulky. It takes a lot of space in the camera bag.
3) The controls are small and fussy to use; the movement knobs must be held tightly when the lock knobs are released otherwise the lens will drop down as there is no resistance ("fluid motion") for either tilt or shift.
4) You MUST have TIME to work slowly. Setting up a shot takes a lot of deliberation, small adjustments, shifting camera bock and forth, up and down, in addition to the lens movements.

Those are the caveats. The good part:

5) Images obtained are unique, they have a look and perspective that cannot be duplicated by, for example, focus stacking*. Also, perspective correction for tall subjects done in PP does not look the same as using the rising front on the TSS. The slight softness at the edges is never noticed by someone other than yourself, and you notice only because you go looking for it.
6) Because it takes time to set up a shot, it forces you to think very carefully about composition, consequently the results are generally 100% pleasing as images.

For someone willing and able to take the TIME and who does a significant number of images where the properties of the lens can be used, it is a satisfactory and psychologically satisfying lens to use.

* Look carefully at the posted image. You are looking down at the rocks in the extreme foreground. As your eye pans from sky to lower edge of the picture, it's as if you were standing there tilting your head downward. a Picture taken by using focus stacking or an extremely small aperture does not have that "look."
07-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #4208
Pentaxian

Thank you for your reply!

I have been thinking of that 'look' not so much about maximum plur. But that would be cool too. If it gets good by stopping down. Then I'm really in to this.

I'd be shooting architecture and stuff like that. I have patiense taking my time to shoot. Actually that is most relaxing thing on this hobby. Take your time and enjoy of shooting.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
About the Samyang:
1) At wider apertures IQ is not as good as the Canon 24mm TSS I used years ago (purchased a used Canon body to be able to use the lens). Specifically, edges are a little disappointing up to f5.6. I try to use f8~11 which seem to be optimum and provide good IQ across the FOV, Image posted was @ f11 (cloudless day in the desert).
2) The lens is bulky. It takes a lot of space in the camera bag.
3) The controls are small and fussy to use; the movement knobs must be held tightly when the lock knobs are released otherwise the lens will drop down as there is no resistance ("fluid motion") for either tilt or shift.
4) You MUST have TIME to work slowly. Setting up a shot takes a lot of deliberation, small adjustments, shifting camera bock and forth, up and down, in addition to the lens movements.

Those are the caveats. The good part:

5) Images obtained are unique, they have a look and perspective that cannot be duplicated by, for example, focus stacking*. Also, perspective correction for tall subjects done in PP does not look the same as using the rising front on the TSS. The slight softness at the edges is never noticed by someone other than yourself, and you notice only because you go looking for it.
6) Because it takes time to set up a shot, it forces you to think very carefully about composition, consequently the results are generally 100% pleasing as images.

For someone willing and able to take the TIME and who does a significant number of images where the properties of the lens can be used, it is a satisfactory and psychologically satisfying lens to use.

* Look carefully at the posted image. You are looking down at the rocks in the extreme foreground. As your eye pans from sky to lower edge of the picture, it's as if you were standing there tilting your head downward. a Picture taken by using focus stacking or an extremely small aperture does not have that "look."

07-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #4209
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I'd be shooting architecture and stuff like that..
About architecture: The Samyang at 24mm is a bit long for much architecture, especially interiors. It is not truly wide angle. For example, to get an APS-C angular coverage equivalent to what the 24mm Canon TSS had on film, the Samyang would have to have a focal length of 16mm (!!!). So the Samyang will be at it's most useful when the long anticipated FF Pentax is available.
07-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #4210
Pentaxian

I have that new FF on my shopping list too.
07-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #4211
Loyal Site Supporter

A geyser, but not THE GEYSIRin Iceland. The Original Geysir has been inactive for some time. This one is nearby and goes off at roughly 5 minute intervals.

07-06-2015, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #4212
Pentaxian

Here are a couple of wildlife shots with the K3 & DA 50-200 WR. This lens can be quite sharp when stopped down to f/10 or so.

Sea lions sleeping in the sun
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Heron
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
07-06-2015, 05:00 AM   #4213
Loyal Site Supporter

What a handsome car, but I don't believe this upscale model from MG was a great seller.

07-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #4214
Site Supporter

Pretty fancy for a TC. Nice shot.
07-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #4215
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Pretty fancy for a TC. Nice shot.
But not a TC nor TD. A 4-seater "luxury" roadster. I'll check my notes & post the model/year and any other info (for museum pieces I try always to photograph the accompanying label before photographing the object).