Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 05:53 AM - 3 Likes   #5221
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 + 200 macro (my never-will-part-with-this-lens)

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:30 PM.
12-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #5222
Pentaxian

Cross posted in Post Your Photos and the 300 plus club.

K-3 A-400
Apertures from ƒ5.6 to ƒ8, most common, ƒ7.1
ISO 500.

The snow is late this year, the ground isn't frozen and many of my usual feeder birds are still out foraging in the wild. So I saw three species today.. Blue Jays, the loyal and faithful chickadees, and of course a couple of squirrels.

Even my latest standby the Evening Grosbeaks didn't turn up. Nor did my usually dependable Hairy Woodpecker. But I'm only getting a small window with good light today, so this is it.

The Blue Jays are just dominating the show... it's just not cool to have less than one bird in the frame, there are so many...

Or, if only one bird, maybe 3 nuts in his mouth.

This squirrel just loves this branch, she always spends some time sitting there, perusing the scene.

Then it's off to the feeder.

The chickadees are easiest to get on the suet post. It's the only place they hang around long enough to get with a manual focus lens.

12-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #5223
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are great shots everyone!

Normhead, love your wildlife. Chickadees are my favorite bird; they are so friendly and cute! The photos of the jays are outstanding, as are the rest of the photos.

It's strange, my woodpecker comes in every morning & late afternoon; then he disappears for a week or more, then returns. I'm always happy to see him back at the suet blocks!
12-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #5224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Those are great shots everyone!

Normhead, love your wildlife. Chickadees are my favorite bird; they are so friendly and cute! The photos of the jays are outstanding, as are the rest of the photos.

It's strange, my woodpecker comes in every morning & late afternoon; then he disappears for a week or more, then returns. I'm always happy to see him back at the suet blocks!
We have a Pileated that lives nearby, that we've never had a picture of. He once came to the feeders, couldn't figure them out, completely missed the suet post and never came back. Every morning on the dog walk we hear him in the woods 50 meters from our house. Woodpeckers are unpredictable.

Our chickadees fly some kind of route out in the woods. Every now and then they cross paths with us up on the ridge. They chirp and try and land on us, as if we always are bearers of food, and expect us to feed them more than a Km away from the feeders. I'm convinced they recognize us.

12-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #5225
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As always, those are some great photos Norm!

I was reading your review (I think) of the 60-250 on the Henry's site. Your fine photos and comments on the lens make it quite tempting, if only henry's still stocked Pentax in store. :@

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Cross posted in Post Your Photos and the 300 plus club.

K-3 A-400
Apertures from 5.6 to 8, most common, 7.1
ISO 500.

The snow is late this year, the ground isn't frozen and many of my usual feeder birds are still out foraging in the wild. So I saw three species today.. Blue Jays, the loyal and faithful chickadees, and of course a couple of squirrels.
12-11-2015, 10:07 AM - 3 Likes   #5226
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting... always a treat.
You are welcome.

Thought I'd share a shot of Summer where she is actually smiling.

12-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #5227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
You are welcome.

Your birds are always so much more interesting than mine.

---------- Post added 12-11-15 at 12:25 PM ----------

QuoteQuote:
As always, those are some great photos Norm!

I was reading your review (I think) of the 60-250 on the Henry's site. Your fine photos and comments on the lens make it quite tempting, if only henry's still stocked Pentax in store.
Yes well, you're practically in my back yard. If you're ever driving down Hwy 60 stop in and try it out. By the way Henry's never stocked the 60-250 as far as I can tell. Mine was special ordered after trying two Sigma 120-400s and giving up on ever getting one that was remotely functional. The first one was DoA, the other was way too soft in the long end to be any use to me at all.

I've stopped in to Henry's downtown Toronto (their main store) a couple of years ago, looking to see the 60-250, the DA*300, the 15 ltd. and 31 ltd. They had nothing. They had 16 Pentax lenses on the shelf, and nothing I wanted to see. Not to mention that since I only was looking to spend maybe $1000 their sales staff treated me like poop.

Re. the 60-250. The light got to be so bad today, and it started raining, but the Hairy Woodpecker turned up so I went out with the 60-250 and shot wide open. Not great but OK... 79 images, one keeper... most ruined because of the slow shutter speed and the bird's movements. He must have paused here for a bit of birdie meditation. This is when you are grateful for 8 fps. Th images 2 or 3 either side of this one all had motion blur, I got this one because the camera sounded like a little itty bitty machine gun.

Last edited by normhead; 12-11-2015 at 10:58 AM.
12-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #5228
Loyal Site Supporter

You are welcome.

Now there is one lovely face and winning smile. What young man would not melt?

12-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #5229
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a Pileated that lives nearby, that we've never had a picture of.
THE IMAGE BELOW IS NOT TAKEN WITH A K3. It is a scan from a chrome taken sometime in the 90's, but because normhead mentioned pileated woodpeckers I thought I'd show this one. The nest hole was in a dead tree in a swamp, maybe 70 feet from the nearest dry ground which happened to an old RR right-of-way converted to a paved bike trail. I photographed this nest from when the woodpecker was still working on the hole until the fledged young were gone (hundreds of chromes).I used two different rigs: a small number of images were taken with an LX fitted with a 400mm Tamron and 2XL converter, and the vast majority were taken with a Nikon FA fitted with a Nikon 500p and a Nikon 2X converter, almost every shot using a Sunpak flash with projecting Fresnel lens attached. The much higher flash sync speed of the Nikon was a big advantage, but from the size of this image before cropping, I suspect it was taken with the LX rig.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:30 PM.
12-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #5230
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Now there is one lovely face and winning smile. What young man would not melt?
Only the young ones?

But yes, lovely smile - and photograph, of course.
12-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #5231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
THE IMAGE BELOW IS NOT TAKEN WITH A K3. It is a scan from a chrome taken sometime in the 90's, but because normhead mentioned pileated woodpeckers I thought I'd show this one. The nest hole was in a dead tree in a swamp, maybe 70 feet from the nearest dry ground which happened to an old RR right-of-way converted to a paved bike trail. I photographed this nest from when the woodpecker was still working on the hole until the fledged young were gone (hundreds of chromes).I used two different rigs: a small number of images were taken with an LX fitted with a 400mm Tamron and 2XL converter, and the vast majority were taken with a Nikon FA fitted with a Nikon 500p and a Nikon 2X converter, almost every shot using a Sunpak flash with projecting Fresnel lens attached. The much higher flash sync speed of the Nikon was a big advantage, but from the size of this image before cropping, I suspect it was taken with the LX rig.
We have looked all over for our Pileated's nest hole. We've seen the pair, we always know approximately where it is, we've never found it.
12-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #5232
Pentaxian

I might take you up on that if I ever get to Algonquin park!

I've had a similarly poor service from Henrys... I've found similar poor service for other boutique shops... As of late I've also found a lot of their staff is quite young and uninformed - I've had to point out on their online catalogue that they carry a number of products they think they don't carry. :/

I still like buying some big ticket items from them if I want to get insurance on it, it has always seemed to me it would be easier to deal with a local shop than try to mail something back to a supplier like B&H....

The most excellent camera trading post down town is the total opposite, great folks, but they only deal in used gear, I'd have a hard time buying a 60 to 250 off of them.

Indeed, the FPS has gotten some great photos for when I shoot dog sports!

Yes well, you're practically in my back yard. If you're ever driving down Hwy 60 stop in and try it out. By the way Henry's never stocked the 60-250 as far as I can tell. Mine was special ordered after trying two Sigma 120-400s and giving up on ever getting one that was remotely functional. The first one was DoA, the other was way too soft in the long end to be any use to me at all.

I've stopped in to Henry's downtown Toronto (their main store) a couple of years ago, looking to see the 60-250, the DA*300, the 15 ltd. and 31 ltd. They had nothing. They had 16 Pentax lenses on the shelf, and nothing I wanted to see. Not to mention that since I only was looking to spend maybe $1000 their sales staff treated me like poop.

Re. the 60-250. The light got to be so bad today, and it started raining, but the Hairy Woodpecker turned up so I went out with the 60-250 and shot wide open. Not great but OK... 79 images, one keeper... most ruined because of the slow shutter speed and the bird's movements. He must have paused here for a bit of birdie meditation. This is when you are grateful for 8 fps. Th images 2 or 3 either side of this one all had motion blur, I got this one because the camera sounded like a little itty bitty machine gun.
12-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #5233
Site Supporter

You are welcome.

A smile that lights up a cloudy day. Nice portrait.
12-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #5234
amateur dirt farmer...

K-3 with DA 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR

first shots with my new K-3:

12-12-2015, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #5235
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple more...