01-26-2016, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #5612
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spectacled Barwing shot with K3 + Sigma 500 F4.5

01-26-2016, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #5613
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This bike met an untimely end on the streets of Ottawa!

01-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #5614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
This bike met an untimely end on the streets of Ottawa!
Looks like something out of a cartoon.

01-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #5615
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something fishy = called a "speckled pavon." The common name is not illuminating, but genus and species wouldn't be either.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:35 PM.
01-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #5616
Pentaxian

This or that?

Two more from this weekend's blue hour outings. The first one is from Saturday. Does the rail bug you? I don't think it's too bad, because it's pretty much in focus. Nevertheless, I went back Sunday to re-shoot, and I put the camera higher to avoid the rail and took a slightly tighter crop. But I wound up shooting it about 5 minutes later, and the light was just not as good, IMHO. That's the second one. Which one would you pick? With the rail and better light or without the rail but light not as good?

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-26-2016 at 04:34 PM. Reason: update bbcode for first image with more muted version
01-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #5617
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Looks like something out of a cartoon.
Yeah, bike wheels can transform in to all kinds of bizarre shapes on failure. All of the spokes are balanced with one another, when one or more fail, the whole structure can deform in strange ways.

This was a tricky shot to take, as I had to wait for a gap in traffic to go onto the road to get it! Very gray light today, shot it at 1600 ISO to keep it sharp.

01-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #5618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Two more from this weekend's blue hour outings. The first one is from Saturday. Does the rail bug you? I don't think it's too bad, because it's pretty much in focus. Nevertheless, I went back Sunday to re-shoot, and I put the camera higher to avoid the rail and took a slightly tighter crop. But I wound up shooting it about 5 minutes later, and the light was just not as good, IMHO. That's the second one. Which one would you pick? With the rail and better light or without the rail but light not as good?
I would clone out the rail in the much better first image. The colours in the second shot are flat compared to the first. I should also note that I looked at the two images as they appeared on my monitor and was not disturbed by the railing.
01-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #5619
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I definitely like the first version better, Take Canada_Rockies' advice and try to clone out the railing.
01-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #5620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice night shots. I don't mind the railing as it helps to give a sense of depth. It does look a bit accidental though. Looking at the Molson sign and the sky I would say that it's maybe a stop overexposed. Just my $0.02.
01-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #5621
Veteran Member

I vote to keep the rail.
01-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #5622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I vote keep the railing. It anchors the viewer's perspective and adds a pop of framing with it's dark color.

Cropped out, it just looks less punchy with the tide eddy by itself and ends up kinda blah.

Well, to me anyway.

Eric

01-26-2016, 12:57 PM - 5 Likes   #5623
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

From our trip to Kgalagadi a few months back. Cape foxes in the morning light.

01-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #5624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Distance

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
From our trip to Kgalagadi a few months back. Cape foxes in the morning light.

Nice shot, Savoche. Makes the 55-300 look pretty good. Do you have any idea how far away the foxes were? Is it cropped? Thanks for sharing.
01-26-2016, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #5625
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look! I found Savoche's avatar! But it moved a little.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:35 PM.