Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16947 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #5791
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The conditions to get ice crystals on a window are 1) very cold outside; 2) warm HUMID air inside. A bedroom is ideal because you are exhaling a lot of moisture into the room which will crystallize on the extremely cold window glass. For obvious reasons, double-pane ("thermal") windows will generally not form ice/frost patterns.
I have never seen frost patterns on our double pane windows ins a climate that has seen -40 on occasion and cooking, bathing, washing and such augmented by dishes of water by all the furnace vents makes for better than average humidity indoors.

02-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #5792
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have never seen frost patterns on our double pane windows ins a climate that has seen -40 on occasion and cooking, bathing, washing and such augmented by dishes of water by all the furnace vents makes for better than average humidity indoors.
Hence the name "thermal pane." That little space between the two sheets of glass is a very effective insulator. They are expensive, but over the years they can more than pay for themselves in heating cost, aside from the greater comfort of not having cold drafts near every window.
02-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #5793
Pentaxian

We prefer the bedroom to be cold, we sleep better, in slightly warmer weather we might even have the window open a crack, and since we heat with wood, wood stoves are very dry heat, we have a humidifier close to the bedroom window.

Our windows have a lot of things going for them in terms of producing ice crystals.
02-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #5794
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We burned cord wood for about 40 years, first in a Fisher box heater (still in place) and later, when we put on an addition, using a big Newmac furnace that distributed through ducts. But I grew weary of the hauling, stacking, hauling again, feeding the furnace up to three times daily when it was very cold, the uneven heat (sometimes it got impossibly warm at night if I put in a bit too much), the unpredictable quality of delivered wood, the mess. So a few years back I replaced the Newmac with a pellet burning furnace. One charging per day, maybe two in bitter cold, uniform heat, controllable heat (twist thermostat up or down), automatic ignition, 100% reliably uniform pellets, far, far less mess, much less physical handling of the pellets. Of course, we installed it just before fracking dropped the price of oil, so it would actually be cheaper to heat with an oil burner. The Fisher is still there if the electricity goes out, but rather than burning cord wood I keep a small supply of compressed sawdust blocks on hand, enough for about two weeks.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-11-2016 at 03:58 PM.
02-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #5795
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
We burned cord wood for about 40 years, first in a Fisher box heater (still in place) and later, when we put on an addition, using a big Newmac furnace that distributed through ducts. But I grew weary of the hauling, stacking, hauling again, feeding the furnace up to three times daily when it was very cold, the uneven heat (sometimes it got impossibly warm at night if I put in a bit too much), the unpredictable quality of delivered wood, the mess. So a few years back I replaced the Newmac with a pellet burning furnace. One charging per day, maybe two in bitter cold, uniform heat, controllable heat (twist thermostat up or down), automatic ignition, 100% reliably uniform pellets, far, far less mess, much less physical handling of the pellets. Of course, we installed it just before fracking dropped the price of oil, so it would actually be cheaper to heat with an oil burner. The Fisher is still there if the electricity goes out, but rather than butning cord wood I keep a small supply of compressed sawdust blocks on hand, enough for about two weeks.
I have a pellet stove in the basement, and keep a 2 week supply of pellets, for when I'm feeling lazy. The pellet stove only needs to be filled once a day.
02-11-2016, 10:13 PM - 3 Likes   #5796
Pentaxian

02-12-2016, 12:26 AM   #5797
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-3 and Sigma 70 macro
ƒ stops from 5.6 but most at ƒ16, ISO 100, two second delay and shutter lock up

The conditions of these pictures seems to be the weather has to be warm, and then a sudden freeze, yesterday was reasonably close to -8, then dropped to -27 overnight, perfect for ice crystals on our bed room window. Last time I had many images ruined by shallow DoF, this time taking everything from ƒ5.6 to ƒ 22 I got decent images from each set.
These pics look like pieces of abstract artwork. Very nice!

02-12-2016, 04:41 AM - 2 Likes   #5798
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A couple more from Tucker Lake.

Snowy Road.

02-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #5799
Pentaxian

Came across this shot from last August while doing snowflake focus stacks. At the time I didn't like the background (my camera bag), but now I think the mayfly is interesting enough to post. Pentax-M 135mm F/3.5 plus coupled reverse Sigma 24-70mm F/3.5-5.6. Two-shot handheld focus stack.

02-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #5800
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
What beautifull blue colors you got on that wood wall behind your (awesome) girl(s),

----------------------------------------

With HD 55-300mm:

Last edited by Jorgario; 02-12-2016 at 09:34 AM.
02-12-2016, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #5801
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jorgario Quote
What beautifull blue colors you got on that wood wall behind your (awesome) girl(s),
Thanks. Yeah, it was the backside of her favorite cafe which happens to be right next to the beach.

02-12-2016, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5802
Pentaxian

One last kick at the can, going from the SImga 70-300 and the Big Picture to some Macro images.

Sigma 70-300 an K20D
A few more ice images....

Using the Tamron 90 with the 1.7 AF adapter for some detail images.

For the whole two day series.
<click here>
02-12-2016, 01:16 PM - 2 Likes   #5803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dang you LeRolls! All the ice crystals on my windows just melted.
02-12-2016, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #5804
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Dang you LeRolls! All the ice crystals on my windows just melted.
If you stopped panting so hard ...
02-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #5805
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
If you stopped panting so hard ...
Actually I have had a bad cold for the last week and it's wheezing, not panting. Well in any case it is a fever of some kind.