Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #5836
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,877
K-3 and DA*60-250
Such a versatile lens. You can get a picture of the photographer and the little bird he's photographing without changing lenses.





02-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #5837
Pentaxian
Jorgario's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Josť
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,044
With HD DA 55-300mm:



02-16-2016, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #5838
Loyal Site Supporter
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 3,645
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
She is classic Slavic beauty... I am guessing, but I do not think so that I am wrong, as she has all features of a Slavic woman. Only LeRolls can clarify this dilemma.
Well... her name is Marina if that helps at all. She was definitely born and raised in south Florida but I am unaware of her family's origins. I hope to shoot with her again soon.
02-16-2016, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #5839
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,901
Cold pigeons in Ottawa. 55-300, I like this lens though it's slow nature forces you to the higher speeds in these gray days. Was great to have a WR lens in the snow today.



02-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #5840
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,904
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Cold pigeons in Ottawa. 55-300, I like this lens though it's slow nature forces you to the higher speeds in these gray days. Was great to have a WR lens in the snow today.

[
QuoteOriginally posted by Jorgario Quote
With HD DA 55-300mm:
That's it, I'm going to delay buying a GPS unit for Astrotracing. I am going to buy the 55-300 first. I've always wanted a longer lens than my 50-135 but I am so broke right now. The 55-300 from what I've seen, is a great budget alternative to DA* 60-250 or DA* 300
02-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #5841
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,901
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
That's it, I'm going to delay buying a GPS unit for Astrotracing. I am going to buy the 55-300 first. I've always wanted a longer lens than my 50-135 but I am so broke right now. The 55-300 from what I've seen, is a great budget alternative to DA* 60-250 or DA* 300
I just recently bought mine through a forum member. I really like it right now, it's much beefier than online comments had be believing, it's a well put together lens. I'm still hesitant to push the WR, but it's great that it has it! Would definitely recommend. :-)

Edit, I should say, it's super dim out these days where I am, I can't wait for sunny 16 (or hazy 11) EV days to really let this thing really shine at sport photography.
02-17-2016, 01:53 AM   #5842
Pentaxian
RAART's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oakville, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 936
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Well... her name is Marina if that helps at all. She was definitely born and raised in south Florida but I am unaware of her family's origins. I hope to shoot with her again soon.
For sure Slavic, probably Russian or Ukrainian heritage... Looking forward to those pictures!
02-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #5843
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,901
Another test of the 55-300 lens, brighter day today. TAv mode is great for ensuring both shutter speed and aperture, keeps the DOF from getting to shallow and the motion blur down.



02-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #5844
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 297
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Cold pigeons in Ottawa. 55-300, I like this lens though it's slow nature forces you to the higher speeds in these gray days. Was great to have a WR lens in the snow today.
In this case, I think the purple fringing is desirable!
I'm impressed with what I've seen out of that lens too. I won't be able to afford the HD WR version anytime soon, but if I see a DA / DA L version under $100 on eBay I'll probably swoop in and snag it.
02-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #5845
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,554
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I just recently bought mine through a forum member. I really like it right now, it's much beefier than online comments had be believing, it's a well put together lens. I'm still hesitant to push the WR, but it's great that it has it! Would definitely recommend. :-)

Edit, I should say, it's super dim out these days where I am, I can't wait for sunny 16 (or hazy 11) EV days to really let this thing really shine at sport photography.
Don't worry about the WR. I used a DA 55-300 non-WR on a whale trip off Maui, HI in December 2014. There were 11 people on the boat, out of 55 who had booked, and we were five of them, postponed from the cancelled first trip that day. 2 metre waves, rain, high wind (up to 40 mph/70 kph). The lens and camera survived just fine. The only care I took was to keep the front element pointed level and down, never up. I still use the lens.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 02-17-2016 at 09:17 AM.
02-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #5846
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,901
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
In this case, I think the purple fringing is desirable!
I'm impressed with what I've seen out of that lens too. I won't be able to afford the HD WR version anytime soon, but if I see a DA / DA L version under $100 on eBay I'll probably swoop in and snag it.
Ha! I dialed up the saturation for this photo as well, to try to bring out the purple in the feathers.

One more, of the giant arch in China town, full zoom in from about... 40 feet away? I could do better, but I think this is a really good example of what it's capable of.


Last edited by bobbotron; 02-17-2016 at 10:06 AM.
02-17-2016, 07:42 PM - 3 Likes   #5847
Site Supporter
gda13's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 939
last year just before summer...taken with K3 + DA35 mm Ltd


Florida Sunrise

Last edited by gda13; 03-23-2016 at 11:22 AM.
02-17-2016, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #5848
Loyal Site Supporter
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 3,645
02-17-2016, 11:24 PM - 2 Likes   #5849
Site Supporter
charchri4's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sunny SW Minnesota
Posts: 234
OK after months of seeing the above LeRolls shots and trying to get to that level of artistry I think I have come close with a shot. I'm in Minnesota so it won't be a gal by the water this time of year and never as good as his. But I want to get to the level of epic good taste, clean lines and elegant beauty to tell stories the way he does. And for a simple 2 flash shot in front of the white board in our church conference room I'm really proud of this one!

02-18-2016, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #5850
Loyal Site Supporter
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 3,645
QuoteOriginally posted by charchri4 Quote
OK after months of seeing the above LeRolls shots and trying to get to that level of artistry I think I have come close with a shot. I'm in Minnesota so it won't be a gal by the water this time of year and never as good as his. But I want to get to the level of epic good taste, clean lines and elegant beauty to tell stories the way he does. And for a simple 2 flash shot in front of the white board in our church conference room I'm really proud of this one!

Nice! Well lit, sharp, and it definitely tells a story. No need to shoot by the water. I'm sure you could get some nice portraits outside with the snow and the trees. The effects of winter can add a lot of atmosphere to an image. Or maybe take an image of someone next to a cozy fireplace. There are always options.

FA77



Met up with a lovely Ukrainian model this morning and even though she was almost an hour late we still got some nice shots and I hope to work with her again sometime.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
australia, auto, bittern, da, dslr, exposure, fa, flickr, info, iso, jpg, k-3, k3, k5-iis, morning, pentax k-3, photography, pics, pm, post, sample, shot, shots, sunbird, thread, wb
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Q street shots - post them here. barondla Pentax Q 254 04-22-2016 05:46 PM
Suggestion Create ONE thread with K3 sample shots to make it easier to navigate jpzk Site Suggestions and Help 2 10-31-2013 07:51 PM
DA 55-300 Sample Shots (x7), no post processing cputeq Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 07-04-2008 01:01 AM
Post Your Eclipse shots here. vievetrick Post Your Photos! 34 02-25-2008 08:14 AM
Spring! Post your Motorcycle shots here! slip Post Your Photos! 33 04-28-2007 05:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top