Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2016, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #6841
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,849
Cross posted to Post Your Photos and the 300 plus club

K-3 and DA*200 an 1.7x AF adapter. 340mm ƒ4.5
ISO 320, ƒ5.6, AV mode ( 1250/s to 1/1000, most at 1/500s)

We've been gone for a few weeks, so there's been no one here to feed the birds. So these are the die hard regulars who wouldn't give up on me. The've been through this before and had faith I'd be back.









The most regular of the regulars, a fixture around the feeders for the last 3 years. Others come to eat, she seems to come, just to hang out.


And a few of her compatriots.







Last edited by normhead; 06-18-2016 at 09:45 AM.
06-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #6842
Pentaxian
volley's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,387
Aliens ... or what:-)

@Normhead - thats a very good collection again!

Here are a few K3 shots taken with the Tokina AT-X 2.8/28-70 during a fair a short while ago.
These guys showed a great performance!

Feel free to click for a larger version.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
06-18-2016, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #6843
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,333
Tall grass with the K-3 and Tamron 70-200 f/2.8.
06-18-2016, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #6844
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,849
From Niagara on the Lake
K-3 with DA 18-135











06-18-2016, 09:41 PM - 2 Likes   #6845
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,901
Silly IR photos I took with the K3. Not a lot of range in the photo but you can make them work. This is still more detail than a 35mm IR photo. (In my opinion!)



06-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #6846
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Silly IR photos I took with the K3. Not a lot of range in the photo but you can make them work. This is still more detail than a 35mm IR photo. (In my opinion!)


How do you do that? What settings? And there was a marking on MF lenses for IR too, I recall.
06-19-2016, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #6847
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 129
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Silly IR photos I took with the K3. Not a lot of range in the photo but you can make them work. This is still more detail than a 35mm IR photo. (In my opinion!)
Those are lovely.

---------- Post added 06-18-16 at 10:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
From Niagara on the Lake
K-3 with DA 18-135
The hotel and the white house in particular are wonderfully composed.

---------- Post added 06-18-16 at 10:54 PM ----------

The middle one is my favorite black and white one in a while, but I wish I had stopped it down some.

PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR /2.8, 1/6400, ISO 160

From the Blaisdell Center parking lot
by Jussome Guy, on Flickr


PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR /2.8, 1/3200, ISO 125

From the Blaisdell Center parking lot
by Jussome Guy, on Flickr


SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 f/1.4, 1/800, ISO 100

Gardenia
by Jussome Guy, on Flickr
06-19-2016, 04:33 AM   #6848
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 520
Notl

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
From Niagara on the Lake
K-3 with DA 18-135
I live about 10 minutes away from Niagara On The Lake.

Tuggie76

06-19-2016, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #6849
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,849
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I live about 10 minutes away from Niagara On The Lake.

Tuggie76
Do you have any lenses I might want to try out next time I'm down?
My step sone lives in Niagara Falls, we were just down for almost 2 weeks. We went to NOTL twice.

Cross posted in Post your Photos and the 300 plus discuss club.

K-3, DA*200 and F 1.7x AF adapter.
5.6, 400 ISO, AV

The DA*200 and 1.7 which give me 340mm and 4.5 seems to have become pretty much my walk around lens these days. I put the 70 macro on the tripod and took it out with me, but I never used it once. The DA* 200 is easily hand holdable, so none of these images used a tripod. Yet I had not one image ruined by motion blur, in fact they are all incredibly sharp. I know it's all K-1 this K-1 that right now, better AF blah blah blah, but, how do you improve on 100% AF accuracy?

From my time out today, I sat for at least a half hour in the blind and saw, a couple of Blue Jays and a Nut hatch, that were in and out so fast I got no pictures.

My one shot taken from the blind.... well this was taken yesterday without the 1.7. Ones taken today with the 1.7 didn't have enough DoF.


For some reason there were 8 of these guys on a canoe that was on the lawn. For some reason they like Kevlar and Resin


But I did manage to get one guy on a birch tree, after I spooked him.


Tess prefers this crop, so I better put it in.


There are maybe 3 Blue Jays to be seen from the blind and a couple of squirrels and chipmunks, but there are lot's of flowers in the gardens.












We have a Robin nesting on our porch. She built her nest and laid her eggs while we were away, so she has to learn to live with us. We try and go out the basement door. But, she's getting pretty good at ignoring us when we don't. This one taken from 15 feet away.


Sitting on top of the wood shed after returning from a mission. Waiting for the coast to be clear so she can return to the nest.


From now on when people ask what to get for a walk around lens I'm going to suggest the DA*200 2.8 and F 1.7x AF adapter. It works for me. I guess it just depends on where you walk around
06-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #6850
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 520
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Do you have any lenses I might want to try out next time I'm down?
My step sone lives in Niagara Falls, we were just down for almost 2 weeks. We went to NOTL twice.

Cross posted in Post your Photos and the 300 plus discuss club.

K-3, DA*200 and F 1.7x AF adapter.
5.6, 400 ISO, AV

The DA*200 and 1.7 which give me 340mm and 4.5 seems to have become pretty much my walk around lens these days. I put the 70 macro on the tripod and took it out with me, but I never used it once. The DA* 200 is easily hand holdable, so none of these images used a tripod. Yet I had not one image ruined by motion blur, in fact they are all incredibly sharp. I know it's all K-1 this K-1 that right now, better AF blah blah blah, but, how do you improve on 100% AF accuracy?

It would be the other way round! I have very few lenses and then basic models.

There are a lot of members in the Camera Club who spend their life in blinds, up at 5am, not for me though!

Next time your down let me know, we'll go for coffee or something.

Tuggie76
06-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #6851
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,849
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
There are a lot of members in the Camera Club who spend their life in blinds, up at 5am, not for me though!
Not for me either, just the mention of 5am makes me gag. My blind is in my back yard, I can take my coffee out with me, it's in clearing and the light isn't even good until after 8, and that suits me just fine. But, I will try and remember the coffee thing. When we are down at Rick's we are always looking for stuff to do. Our last trip was to escape the black flies. Black flies are a real issue here.
06-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #6852
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,901
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
How do you do that? What settings? And there was a marking on MF lenses for IR too, I recall.
You need an IR R72 filter (like this one) and a tripod. You're not getting much IR light as there's an IR cut filter on the sensor that filters out most of the IR light, so you need a tripod. My shots on a bright day take about 20 seconds on average.

I used the 18-135mm lens with this, focused it in live view.

---------- Post added 06-19-16 at 12:55 PM ----------

Thanks Weldon! I really like the second photo you posted - great composition.

QuoteOriginally posted by Weldon Berger Quote
Those are lovely.

---------- Post added 06-18-16 at 10:39 PM ----------



The hotel and the white house in particular are wonderfully composed.

---------- Post added 06-18-16 at 10:54 PM ----------

The middle one is my favorite black and white one in a while, but I wish I had stopped it down some.

PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR /2.8, 1/6400, ISO 160

From the Blaisdell Center parking lot
by Jussome Guy, on Flickr


PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR /2.8, 1/3200, ISO 125

From the Blaisdell Center parking lot
by Jussome Guy, on Flickr


SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 f/1.4, 1/800, ISO 100

Gardenia
by Jussome Guy, on Flickr
06-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #6853
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 520
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not for me either, just the mention of 5am makes me gag. My blind is in my back yard, I can take my coffee out with me, it's in clearing and the light isn't even good until after 8, and that suits me just fine. But, I will try and remember the coffee thing. When we are down at Rick's we are always looking for stuff to do. Our last trip was to escape the black flies. Black flies are a real issue here.
This year they were here, I ventured into Louth Conservation area in early May, didn't think of bug spray. They had a feast on me! Another place to see birds is Dufferin Island, for some reason there are lots of different types there.

Tuggie76
06-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #6854
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,849
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
This year they were here, I ventured into Louth Conservation area in early May, didn't think of bug spray. They had a feast on me! Another place to see birds is Dufferin Island, for some reason there are lots of different types there.

Tuggie76
Over the years I've put together a pretty good collection from the falls.

Niagara_Falls_images by Norm_Head | Photobucket

Dufferin Islands is highlighted in this slideshow. <clcik here>.

Of course around my house, Dufferin Islands is important because it's the closest dependable free parking to the falls, and the walk from there to the falls is completely enjoyable.

Last edited by normhead; 06-19-2016 at 10:17 AM.
06-19-2016, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #6855
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,901
Here's one more IR photo, I think this is the sharpest of them.



Also got this photo of a spruce bug that swung by our porch.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
australia, auto, bittern, da, dslr, exposure, fa, flickr, info, iso, jpg, k-3, k3, k5-iis, morning, pentax k-3, photography, pics, pm, post, sample, shot, shots, sunbird, thread, wb
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Q street shots - post them here. barondla Pentax Q 254 04-22-2016 05:46 PM
Suggestion Create ONE thread with K3 sample shots to make it easier to navigate jpzk Site Suggestions and Help 2 10-31-2013 07:51 PM
DA 55-300 Sample Shots (x7), no post processing cputeq Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 07-04-2008 01:01 AM
Post Your Eclipse shots here. vievetrick Post Your Photos! 34 02-25-2008 08:14 AM
Spring! Post your Motorcycle shots here! slip Post Your Photos! 33 04-28-2007 05:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top