Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #7246
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The 18-135 is still my walking around lens. But at this point in my rehab, about a half kilometre is about all I can walk. I'm just not doing much walking about. For these waxwings, Tess saw them on her morning run. I drove to a parking lot and walked 50 meters to the tree/bush, across a park lawn. Not much walking involved. I did have the 18-135 in my bag,
I understand 3-6 months formal rehab is common and based on my spouse's knee replacements, it takes about a year before the new parts really feel like they are 'yours'. Locally we have a retired doctor who used walking his huge brute of a Labrador Retriever as his motivation to keep up his self-administered physical therapy following his hip replacement. That was several years ago and he has no problem keeping up with the dog these days.

I love the K-3 & 18-135 combo. The other lens I find myself reaching for these days is my Sigma 10-20. The 55-300 sits most of the time. I can generally crop a 135 if the image is a one-off, but of course it is a tad more difficult at times to step backward far enough to fit things in at 18.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-01-2016, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #7247
Pentaxian

Two scenes from my neighborhood (Little Italy) with a SMC-M 28mm and the K3.

09-01-2016, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #7248
Veteran Member

The Associates

I went to the local horse track to photograph horses, but my best shots were the band that played after.

Last edited by tuggie76; 03-21-2017 at 04:35 PM.
09-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #7249
Seeker of Knowledge

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fooling around with my new K 3 and 1.4 teleconverter at the Topeka (KS) Zoological Garden

photo taken without support

black tail swallow

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Aslyfox; 09-01-2016 at 02:36 PM.
09-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #7250
Seeker of Knowledge

more butterflies

painted lady butterfly

monarch butterly
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Aslyfox; 09-01-2016 at 02:38 PM.
09-01-2016, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #7251
Pentaxian

DA* 200 and our tower crew hanging out atop a 12 story building plus 20' tower......

09-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #7252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
hanging out atop a 12 story building plus 20' tower
How come guy on left has no safety gear - is he the client? Just wondering :-)
09-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #7253
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Great shooting / bien fait Doundounba
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Wow! Those are really good. Seriously good.
Thank you both, and everyone who gave a "like" as well! In the likes, someone said I "have the hands of a surgeon", well... that's not quite the case. I do have reasonably steady hands, but for most greater than lifesize shots, I try to be in a position where I can rest at least one elbow on a knee, with the other knee on the ground. (A set of gardener's knee pads is a recent and very useful addition to my macro kit!) Shooting that way really helps with stability. Also, I shoot a lot! (EDIT: Meaning a lot of frames per subject, if the subject is cooperative - I don't get to shoot that often, actually.) Finally, I think I'm getting more and more picky on keepers... But thanks again!

Last edited by Doundounba; 09-01-2016 at 05:07 PM.
09-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #7254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
How come guy on left has no safety gear - is he the client? Just wondering :-)
He's the owner of the tower company. I've known him for 27 years. He'd be in different gear if he were climbing a "real" tower
09-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #7255
Site Supporter

I still have to post-process.....

I don't know if anybody out there has done this but I pretty sure they have. I took 4 photos using "L", "M", "S", and "XS" in Image Capture Settings. (the first page in the menu). Here are the results:
L- 6016x4000 pixels @11.1 mb
M- 4608x3072 pixels @ 7.65mb
S- 3072x2048 pixels @ 3.11mb
XS- 1920x1280 pixels @ 1.44mb

If the 4 photos upload I'll know that I don't have to use photoshop to reduce the pixel count.
I've been gone for quite awhile due to illness and Our Cosmo ( He's in Dog Heaven chasing rainbows now) so I really don't know what's been happening.
But hey, there was quite a stretch from my K1000 to when I got a K10 and I'm still here.....

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 10:27 PM ----------

I just viewed the photos I uploaded and apparently the forum does the "shrinking" of the files for me! Fa double n Tastic!

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 10:34 PM ----------

DA* 200 and our tower crew hanging out atop a 12 story building plus 20' tower......

I'm retired from Local 472 Carpenters and millwrights in Ashland, Kentucky. He wouldn't even be allowed on the scaffold if they were more than 6 feet off the ground. We had a guy fall from 7 feet and he just missed having his face crushed because he had his harness attached to 2(TWO) points. FWI from experience..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #7256
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
He's the owner of the tower company. I've known him for 27 years. He'd be in different gear if he were climbing a "real" tower
What about the 'do as I say, not as I do' effect?
09-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #7257
Loyal Site Supporter

The four images look essentially identical on my laptop monitor, not sure whether it would be different on the big monitor attached to the desktop computer. However, the last image is slightly brighter, it has a little more detail showing in the reflection off the black box, and that reveals a slightly more detectable graininess or texture, for example on the reddish thing seen in reflection
09-02-2016, 05:44 AM   #7258
Site Supporter

I was looking at the small text on the side of the lens at the top of the speaker. Starting with a higher resolution, even though the final resolution is the same, made the text sharper. In other areas, it was harder to see the difference. My take-away is depending on the subject and intended use of the image the lesser jpgs would be just as good. For example, those shooting RAW+, if the jpegs are only used as a glorified thumbnail for quick preview, the larger jpegs probably are not needed.

None-the-less, I'm a pack-rat, and I have problems throwing away jpg pixels even though nearly everything I share came from the RAW.
09-02-2016, 06:00 AM   #7259
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the real advantage of RAW is not greater resolution, it's being able to pull out more deep shadow detail if so desired (sometimes atristically it's better to leave the shadows deep dark and blank)
09-02-2016, 06:27 AM   #7260
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I think the real advantage of RAW is not greater resolution, it's being able to pull out more deep shadow detail if so desired (sometimes atristically it's better to leave the shadows deep dark and blank)
I agree with your statements.My point being that if a photographer shoots RAW+, all distributed images come from RAW and the jpgs are only used to quickly provide proofs, the photographer could save storage space by using a reduced jpg. The lost quality for the jpgs probably won't be noticed.

In my specific situation, I don't typically know in advance what I will be doing with my images. The stuff I like, I almost exclusively work with the RAW image within several post-processing programs. However, when someone wants just an event record (snapshot) and I have little use for the image, I will probably hand him or her the jpg. It might as well be the best jpg my camera can produce.