Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2016, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #7261
Forum Member

Not a Birder but...

I am opportunistic...when the wife told me she goes by a Osprey nest on the way to work I thought why not...how about some cc from Rupert and Normhead and you other birder folk who really get some nice images...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #7262
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I agree with your statements.My point being that if a photographer shoots RAW+, all distributed images come from RAW and the jpgs are only used to quickly provide proofs, the photographer could save storage space by using a reduced jpg. The lost quality for the jpgs probably won't be noticed.

In my specific situation, I don't typically know in advance what I will be doing with my images. The stuff I like, I almost exclusively work with the RAW image within several post-processing programs. However, when someone wants just an event record (snapshot) and I have little use for the image, I will probably hand him or her the jpg. It might as well be the best jpg my camera can produce.
Sensible and practical. I post JPEGS from my K1, K3, and K20, and I think at the resolution allowed by PF (reasonably enough) I doubt that anyone can tell one from the other.

---------- Post added 09-02-16 at 10:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cpobuttons Quote
I am opportunistic...when the wife told me she goes by a Osprey nest on the way to work I thought why not...how about some cc from Rupert and Normhead and you other birder folk who really get some nice images...

That is a top-notch BIF capture.
09-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #7263
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
He's the owner of the tower company. I've known him for 27 years. He'd be in different gear if he were climbing a "real" tower
Ha, since you can't see in the photo, I'm picturing him wearing flip flops up there.
09-02-2016, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #7264
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Ha, since you can't see in the photo, I'm picturing him wearing flip flops up there.
Good grief! What some people will do. Reminds me of a student who absolutely would not remove his baseball cap at any time. In bio lab, he was peering through a low-power dissecting-style microscope and complaining that he couldn't see anything. Obvious to me, as he bent his head down, the visor of the baseball cap went right between the light source and the microscope stage. I told him, look, if you reverse your cap it won't block the light, and I lifted the hat from his head and turned it around. He stared at me as if he wanted me dead, turned the visor back to the front, and continued to see nothing.

09-02-2016, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #7265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
He stared at me as if he wanted me dead, turned the visor back to the front, and continued to see nothing.
He'll make a fine President some day
09-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #7266
Pentaxian

That a great image. I never know what to say about BiF images, you don't know what the constraints were, how far away you were, what angles you could have selected etc. . You got good images from your 120-400, I took two back, one DOA my second copy was too soft, you must have a good one.

My only advice would be, spend more time, see what you can come up with. While the shot in itself is quite good, I like to get at lest 5 or 6 keepers per session with different things going on. But as I said. I don't know where you were, what conditions your were working under, or what was possible so hard to say what you could have done.

---------- Post added 09-02-16 at 01:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
He'll make a fine President some day
I grew up a pacifist, but there's a lot of students I had, I thought the best thing for them could be to spend time in the Army. If you can't be self disciplined, external discipline is better than none. Well it probably isn't in the long run, but it sure is faster.
09-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #7267
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That a great image. I never know what to say about BiF images, you don't know what the constraints were, how far away you were, what angles you could have selected etc. . You got good images from your 120-400, I took two back, one DOA my second copy was too soft, you must have a good one.

My only advice would be, spend more time, see what you can come up with. While the shot in itself is quite good, I like to get at lest 5 or 6 keepers per session with different things going on. But as I said. I don't know where you were, what conditions your were working under, or what was possible so hard to say what you could have done.

---------- Post added 09-02-16 at 01:04 PM ----------

I grew up a pacifist, but there's a lot of students I had, I thought the best thing for them could be to spend time in the Army. If you can't be self disciplined, external discipline is better than none. Well it probably isn't in the long run, but it sure is faster.
thanks Norm...it is hard for me to judge my own BIF as it is not something I do often...or on the nest/perch...the osprey was close sayin what u doing peckerwood and I dont like to keep them riled up for long...also the wind direction was such that landing or taking off were butt shots...
09-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #7268
Pentaxian

taking off were butt shots...
I hate that .

09-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #7269
Pentaxian

09-02-2016, 09:24 PM - 2 Likes   #7270
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 and Sigma 50-500. Finally got out on a nice day in good light and it was not unbearably hot.

K3 with the DA*60-250 + the 1.7 AF Adapter for 425mm. I recently picked this 1.7 adapter up here on the Marketplace and have been trying it out. The 60-250 + the 1.7 AFA is much lighter than the Bigma.

09-03-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #7271

The Satzvey Castle
09-03-2016, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #7272
Pentaxian

09-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #7273

Photos: Albums
would that be Iron Man or Giant Robot?
09-04-2016, 02:49 AM - 2 Likes   #7274

09-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #7275
Loyal Site Supporter

A shot of the sunset from last night with the Rokinon 85 1.4 with the setting Moon and what appears to be Venus.