Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16947 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #7726
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
I'm so pleased to have these 2 cameras. The Canon was a gift from my wife.

Pride and Joy
by John Rudolph, on Flickr
Which one is 'pride' and which 'joy'? Sorry. Or is that question unanswerable because of the provenance of the one on the left?

01-16-2017, 12:07 PM - 2 Likes   #7727
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
lonely jogger
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-16-2017, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #7728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Downtown on the river with the 16-85 @ 85mm.

01-16-2017, 04:53 PM - 2 Likes   #7729
Pentaxian

Giving the SMC 50 1.4 a workout on the HO train layout.....

Rolling through the trailer park......

I mean...what train layout isn't complete without a trailer park?

01-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #7730
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Giving the SMC 50 1.4 a workout on the HO train layout.....

Rolling through the trailer park......

I mean...what train layout isn't complete without a trailer park?
Minatur Wunderland in Hamburg has a travel trailer or two. I'm not sure if such a thing as a trailer park exists in Europe.
01-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #7731
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I'm not sure if such a thing as a trailer park exists in Europe.
Probably not. I think we've got the market cornered on "Trailer Trash"
01-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #7732
Pentaxian

In UK a small number of people tow caravans on the roads. I presume there are some places where they can stop with services. Also a few camper vans.

But it seems to be US that has cornered the market on living in these things. I suppose very convenient for itinerant workers such as farm harvest crews, or longer term , miners or major project builders, but not nice for others.

---------- Post added 01-17-17 at 03:14 PM ----------

It is always difficult to photograph models and have the result look realistic.

Way back in the late 60s the P4 model standard was developed in UK. 4my to foot scale, like OO, with all measurements like wheel flanges and couplings near enough to exact scale replicas. Photos of that were beautiful if the painting and light were good. The standard only suited enthusiasts who built their own stuff all the time. Never caught on for commercial manufacture.

Last edited by tim60; 01-16-2017 at 09:50 PM.
01-17-2017, 04:35 AM   #7733
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI: there are/were two different things in the US:

1 - a trailer park, which is a term which, where I grew up in the upper midwest, meant a place where "mobile home trailers" were located. "Mobile homes trailers" refer to trailers pulled by a semi-trailer truck to a location and then left meant to be almost permanently situated. The home was never truly mobile and were rarely moved from the location they were situated in although they could be towed on the wheels on the unit. The trailers were over-sized and meant as cheap housing and often the people living in "trailer park" were wrongfully considered not to be the best of neighbors - "Trailer Park Trash". The "mobile homes" were easily damaged and never appreciated in value. They were also considered poor shelter in high winds and dangerous storms and a fire hazard..

2 - camping park which is where people would tow their trailers with their cars and trucks, not with a semi-trailer truck but a pick up truck, to various locations while on vacation. From watching "Top Gear" this is the type of towed vehicles that was referred to as being a "caravan". This is what is represented in the HO train set up behind the green vehicle. i also see a VW camper set up and what we would call a mobile home vehicle - the large self driven vehicles.. Often these parks also offer cabins for rent and allowed tent camping as well.

[my cousins had a mobile home permanently situated on a man made fishing lake ( a stream was damned by the local city to form a lake for the purpose of storing water and/or flood control purposes and then stocked with fish for recreation). They would drive in and stay for the weekend or a week or so. That "mobile home" was never moved.

I knew other people who had a camping trailer which they would tow with their car while on vacation and stay at various locales instead of using a motel/hotel or doing tent camping. The top of the line was an "Air Stream" which is represented by the silver colored objects in the picture. Personally we always went tent camping when doing that sort of vacation.]
01-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #7734
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

"cool, cool water" on hotter than normal day in September

one of the lionesses making up the pride at the Topeka Zoological Park

K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

photographed (hand held) through the large glass window of the enclosure. slightly cropped and lightened by pp
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-17-2017, 05:47 AM   #7735
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

I knew other people who had a camping trailer which they would tow with their car while on vacation and stay at various locales instead of using a motel/hotel or doing tent camping. The top of the line was an "Air Stream" which is represented by the silver colored objects in the picture. Personally we always went tent camping when doing that sort of vacation.]
We had a Jayco 1006 pop up tent trailer. Pulled it with our Ford Aerostar minivan. It was the center of many awesome and one epic vacation. in 1991 we took it on a journey of 9,100 miles (14,655 Km). It covered 19 states, 19 National Parks/Monuments and various state parks. It took almost 5 weeks, And outside the cost of film, we did it for a total cost of $2,200. Not bad for a family of six. Take out the cost of food and it was even less expensive. We rarely ate out.

Without that pop up we never could have afforded to take a trip like that. For comparison I could have taken the family to Disney World for 3 days for the same amount of money. Some state parks had camping sites with power and water for as little as $7.00 per night. We did spend our last night on the road at a hotel.
01-17-2017, 06:00 AM   #7736
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

for those not familiar with such sites (both public campgrounds and private), many ((but not all) offered and still do:

electrical power, running water, small stores for essentials, "entertainment" - natural, play grounds, perhaps other things, and full facilities: showers and modern toilets, self laundry, etc, etc, etc.

for those who might be interested check out KOA.com as an example of a private company running such sites across the US

"roughing it" isn't an exactly accurate description at some of these places.

[FYI: I do not own any such sites nor do I own any stock in any such companies]
01-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #7737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For our delayed honeymoon and for the next 15 years or so, essentially all of our vacations were tenting. We established a routine: quickest and easiest for me to set up the Sears canvas tent while M prepared the evening meal, mornings after breakfast she washed and packed the cookware while I cleaned out and rolled up the bags & tent and started loading the car. The tent had a little sticker that said "Tested by Ted Williams" (Sears used his name on a variety of products), but we could never figure out what Ted thought of the tent after that test. "Wouldn't condemn a Yankee to sleep in this ~#**#! thing." Those days we found many camping sites that were free (state-run) or had only a nominal fee ($3~5). We never stayed at the numerous KOA campgrounds we passed, as we thought them too expensive and crowded = small, closely packed sites, and more geared to trailers than tents. Vacationing like that inevitably supplies numerous memories and stories, such as Manchester Beach Oregon where our tent was covered by caterpillars that infested the campground by the thousands.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-17-2017 at 07:42 AM.
01-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #7738
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

1 - a trailer parkt of vacation.]
Thanks for the detailed explanation and for the bit that was particularly new to me of the separation of the live there and holiday market sectors to different locations. In Australia the market all depends on moving, even if after 6 months of wintering somewhere else.
01-18-2017, 03:40 AM   #7739

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
We had a Jayco 1006 pop up tent trailer. Pulled it with our Ford Aerostar minivan. It was the center of many awesome and one epic vacation. in 1991 we took it on a journey of 9,100 miles (14,655 Km). It covered 19 states, 19 National Parks/Monuments and various state parks. It took almost 5 weeks, And outside the cost of film, we did it for a total cost of $2,200. Not bad for a family of six. Take out the cost of food and it was even less expensive. We rarely ate out.

Without that pop up we never could have afforded to take a trip like that. For comparison I could have taken the family to Disney World for 3 days for the same amount of money. Some state parks had camping sites with power and water for as little as $7.00 per night. We did spend our last night on the road at a hotel.

I want to take that vacation!!!

01-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #7740
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

17 years traveling in a Pop-up. Finally 6 years ago we purchased a regular travel trailer. Having a bathroom in the middle of night has become extremely helpful at my age. Especially when it is raining. It is still the way we vacation. The dogs like it that way.