Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16947 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #8071
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those fisheye shots are as much fun as a "Barrel Full of Monkeys."
They were fun to take too. I am glad I chose to do the 10-17 for the Single In April Challenge. It has made me step out of my comfort zone and try new things. Thanks for commenting.

04-17-2017, 07:31 PM - 3 Likes   #8072
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

La Grand Vitesse in the heart of downtown or as us locals know it, "The Calder". The Calder was designed by Alexander Calder. It was built in Tours, France and assembled on the Plaza here in Grand Rapids. It has become one of the main landmarks of downtown and the city. The sculpture was the first public art work funded by the Art in Public Places program of the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA). Every year, on the anniversary of the Calder being installed, the city hosts the Festival Of The Arts. One of the largest Art festivals in the nation and attended by over a half a million people a year. La Grand Vitesse can also be credited as the catalyst for the newer Art Prize Festival here in Grand Rapids as well.

For 19 days in the early fall, around 400,000 attendees descend upon three square miles of downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan where anyone can find a voice in the conversation about what is art and why it matters. Art from around the world pops up in every inch of downtown in over 160 venues—museums, galleries, bars, restaurants, theaters, hotels, public parks, lobbies, buildings, walls, bridges, laundromats, and auto body shops—and it’s all free and open to the public. Art Prize is considered by some to be the largest public attended art event in the world.

Not too bad for a piece of art that many people fought to have installed.

La Grand Vitesse with the DA10-17 at 10mm f11.

04-18-2017, 06:25 AM - 5 Likes   #8073
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Storm Moving In (DA 15 limited)

04-18-2017, 07:13 AM - 3 Likes   #8074

One of my favorite photo from Reine, Norway. It feels like it tells you the whole Norway story in one photo. I shot this with Sigma 18-300C. The lens has a very good IQ. A good travel buddy.

04-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #8075
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote

One of my favorite photo from Reine, Norway. It feels like it tells you the whole Norway story in one photo. I shot this with Sigma 18-300C. The lens has a very good IQ. A good travel buddy.
looks inviting but perhaps a little cool, bring your good thick wool sweater

I really like the composition the gap between the structures and the apparent angle leads my eye across the bay to the far shore and up the far hills

the three nicely spaced birds, take you long to train them for the shot??

and the clouds

very nice IMHO
04-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #8076

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
looks inviting but perhaps a little cool, bring your good thick wool sweater

I really like the composition the gap between the structures and the apparent angle leads my eye to the far shore

very nice IMHO
Thanks!

Temperatures are generally positive in late February and March in Northern Norway. Strong wind and blizzards are the ones you have to avoid

PS: Birds are mostly there for a background
04-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #8077
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
Thanks!

Temperatures are generally positive in late February and March in Northern Norway. Strong wind and blizzards are the ones you have to avoid

PS: Birds are mostly there for a background
positive = greater than 32 degrees F

32 degrees F is 0 degrees C correct?

I'm from the "backward" country that doesn't use the metric system - the International System of Units

[ According to the US Central Intelligence Agency's Factbook (2007), the International System of Units has been adopted as the official system of weights and measures by all nations in the world except for Myanmar (Burma), Liberia and the United States,[74] while the NIST has identified the United States as the only industrialised country where the metric system is not the predominant system of units.[75] However, reports published since 2007 hold this is no longer true of Myanmar or Liberia.[76] An Agence France-Presse report from 2010 stated that Sierra Leone had passed a law to replace the imperial system with the metric system thereby aligning its system of measurement with that used by its Mano River Union (MRU) neighbours Guinea and Liberia.[Note 6][77] Reports from Myanmar suggest that the country is also planning to adopt the metric system.[78]

In the United States metric units, authorised by Congress in 1866,[2] are widely used in science, medicine, military, and partially in industry, but customary units predominate in household use. ]

04-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #8078

positive = greater than 32 degrees F

32 degrees F is 0 degrees C correct?

I'm from the "backward" country that doesn't use the metric system - the International System of Units

[ According to the US Central Intelligence Agency's Factbook (2007), the International System of Units has been adopted as the official system of weights and measures by all nations in the world except for Myanmar (Burma), Liberia and the United States,[74] while the NIST has identified the United States as the only industrialised country where the metric system is not the predominant system of units.[75] However, reports published since 2007 hold this is no longer true of Myanmar or Liberia.[76] An Agence France-Presse report from 2010 stated that Sierra Leone had passed a law to replace the imperial system with the metric system thereby aligning its system of measurement with that used by its Mano River Union (MRU) neighbours Guinea and Liberia.[Note 6][77] Reports from Myanmar suggest that the country is also planning to adopt the metric system.[78]

In the United States metric units, authorised by Congress in 1866,[2] are widely used in science, medicine, military, and partially in industry, but customary units predominate in household use. ]
Temps are like 35F to 44F during day and not below 20-24F at nights.

I checked and 17F is our famous 0C. My record is -40C in Sweden. interestingly it's equal -40F =)
04-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #8079
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Actually, while automotive tire sizes are universally metric these days, the rims those tires mount on are pretty much universally designated in inches. And as North American primary rail systems are all the same gauge, I am guessing that is one reason why Canadian trackage is still measured in miles rather than kilometers. I'm pretty sure barkeeps in most of the the British Commonwealth still mind their P's and Q's (at least symbolically) in Imperial Pints and Quarts.

I need to start taking more photos. I realize I slowed down when I got tired of snow covered scenes. While we still have some snow cover, it is giving way to brown and in a few spots, green.
04-18-2017, 09:34 AM - 4 Likes   #8080
Forum Member

a few recent RE photos i took. the first three were of a loft space, which includes a patio shot after dark, a twilight patio shot, and living space. fourth image was a detail living room shot. all images were taken using 12-24mm/f4 and one Yongnuo 560IV flash w/ Phottix transmitter slave. first three images are a composite of multiple flash and ambient layers, and the fourth image is all ambient, no flash needed. all were edited in ACR (for CA), CS5 and Nik.

by Craig Keene, on Flickr
04-18-2017, 09:37 AM - 3 Likes   #8081
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 and the Sigma 150-500.
04-18-2017, 09:53 AM - 3 Likes   #8082
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-18-2017, 10:47 AM - 3 Likes   #8083
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ckeene Quote
a few recent RE photos i took. the first three were of a loft space, which includes a patio shot after dark, a twilight patio shot, and living space. fourth image was a detail living room shot. all images were taken using 12-24mm/f4 and one Yongnuo 560IV flash w/ Phottix transmitter slave. first three images are a composite of multiple flash and ambient layers, and the fourth image is all ambient, no flash needed. all were edited in ACR (for CA), CS5 and Nik. . . .
nicely done

[ my comments, perceived as offensive, have been removed by me, my deepest apologies to anyone offended. My intention to interject humor doesn't matter if the language is perceived offensive ]

signs of spring

flowers on a tree branch

K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR [ Focus Range Macro ]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-19-2017 at 04:46 AM. Reason: language perceived as offensive removed by me with apologies
04-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #8084
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Up Close, with the DFA 100 WR Macro. ISO400, F8, 1/250s, AF 540FGZii in High Speed Sync Mode.

04-19-2017, 03:53 AM   #8085
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
nicely done but I have to ask you something -

there is a thread - Which Poster Are You? - PentaxForums.com - asking you to identify the type of poster you are, one of the options, and you can add your own, is "the troll"

I made the following remark about "the troll" option

" The Troll: they belong under bridges and they turn into stone when exposed to light.

If some one only posts indoor or night photos to the forum they could be one ---- or they could be a vampire "

so are you a troll or a vampire or have I missed some of your outside photos???

signs of spring

flowers on a tree branch

K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR [ Focus Range Macro ]
Love your blossoms, but find your vampire accusations very distasteful. There are some of us who just feel more comfortable during the evening hours, and naturally that is the best time for us to practice our photography. Personally, daytime is just a better time to sleep, away from the sun, preferably in a closely enclosed space to avoid being disturbed.