Torquay Harbour Uk

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #8387
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am certainly no expert but I am impressed that the autofocus caught the spider web instead of focusing "through" it

no pp at all

K 3 = Smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-08-2017, 04:15 PM - 3 Likes   #8388
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oakville Harbour

07-09-2017, 04:13 AM - 3 Likes   #8389

At last some warm days in Finnish summer...
K-3 + Laowa 15mm f4 wide angle macro, natural light

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-09-2017, 04:33 AM   #8390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flugfiske Quote
At last some warm days in Finnish summer...
K-3 + Laowa 15mm f4 wide angle macro, natural light
Well done and somewhat unusual macros, but the fly in the second image looks like a relative of one here called a "deer fly" or "green deer fly." They are most common in sandy places, especially at coastal beaches, and their bite is extremely painful - much, much worse than a mosquito or tick bite. Mosquitoes pierce; ticks penetrate; deer flies excavate.
07-09-2017, 04:41 AM   #8391

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Well done and somewhat unusual macros, but the fly in the second image looks like a relative of one here called a "deer fly" or "green deer fly." They are most common in sandy places, especially at coastal beaches, and their bite is extremely painful - much, much worse than a mosquito or tick bite. Mosquitoes pierce; ticks penetrate; deer flies excavate.
It was biting me, when I took that pic. But sometimes you have to sacrifice yourself for a picture...
07-09-2017, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #8392
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sacrificed myself to get a picture of a biting mosquito way back in the film era, intentionally sitting out one night with my left hand on a table, camera clamped on the edge of the table, with only the back of that hand not coated with repellent. Got the shot, it was pretty good, but I would never do it with a deer fly. I remember being bitten several times as a kid at Jones Beach. Maybe I was more sensitive to pain as an eight-year-old, but I would not chance repeating the experience to find out.

07-09-2017, 05:32 AM   #8393
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

worse bites I ever suffered was at the Lewis and Clark Scout Camp in South Dakota on a man made lake damming the Missouri River - Lewis and Clark Lake
the insect was a small black fly and it was a true "ankle biter" that was the only area of the body it would land on and bite.

multiple insects at a time and they liked any insecticide/repellant as a spice. They were capable of biting through multiple socks.

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-10-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added name of camp and lake
07-09-2017, 06:58 AM   #8394

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
worse bites I ever suffered was at a Scout Camp in South Dakota on a man made lake damming the Missouri River.

the insect was a small black fly and it was a true "ankle biter" that was the only area of the body it would land on and bite.

multiple insects at a time and they liked any insecticide/repellant as a spice. They were capable of biting through multiple socks.
In Finland we have "Mäkäräinen" size 2-5mm and "polttiainen" size 1-2mm. There is about 20 different species of them. They cut your skin and lick blood out of the cut. The feel of smaller ones bite is like skin is burning, larger just hurts. They leave a mark of the bite that lasts about one week. Bitemark looks like this: http://static.iltalehti.fi/terveys/puremamakara1106JOB_tr.jpg
07-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #8395
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
worse bites I ever suffered was at a Scout Camp in South Dakota on a man made lake damming the Missouri River.

Yep, a black fly. Unfortunately extremely common in logged over areas. My daughter planted trees in an area near to the aptly named HorseFly in central BC to earn money summers while in university. She said there were three rings on everyone - collar, wrists and ankles. The black flies were intolerable.
07-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #8396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sacrificed myself to get a picture of a biting mosquito way back in the film era, intentionally sitting out one night with my left hand on a table, camera clamped on the edge of the table, with only the back of that hand not coated with repellent. Got the shot, it was pretty good, but I would never do it with a deer fly. I remember being bitten several times as a kid at Jones Beach. Maybe I was more sensitive to pain as an eight-year-old, but I would not chance repeating the experience to find out.
For me it was Hampton or Salisbury Beach... the deer fly's or "green heads" could be murderous at times. The ice cold Atlantic waters did help sooth (numb?) the pain... I seem to remember the water at Hampton never got much above 68, even in the summer, heh. Mom would say "when your lips and ankles turn blue, it's time to come out for half an hour". Heh. Fishing out on the rocks on the jetty was always fun... a few things were guaranteed - If you dropped your glass lined thermos, it was toast, you would get bit by a deer fly at least twice, and you would snag your hook on the rocks at least once and have to cut the line.

Oh, and man, those must be really close to get that perspective from a 15mm???!!! What, like an 4 inches away for the bee, and like 2 inches for the fly? Maybe along with some cropping to boot?

See, all that from a picture of a fly.
Eric
07-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #8397
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a change of pace - posting a photo

water flowing down and dripping from a leaf from spray of a waterfall

K 3 + Smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #8398
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Until I read the description, it looks like a green slug drooling. Great shot.
07-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #8399
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Until I read the description, it looks like a green slug drooling. Great shot.
thanks

there is a waterfall in the Tropical Rain Forest exhibit at the Topeka Zoological Park. there is an elevated platform on the "dry" side with the leaves are a foot or so away.

normally the leaves just drip from the spray but for some reason the leaf was literally covered and the water was coating it and flowing down to drip off

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-09-2017 at 01:37 PM.
07-09-2017, 08:24 PM - 3 Likes   #8400
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The moon from the other night with the K3.