Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16940 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #9286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Excellent. What is the yellow-headed one? I'm not familiar with it.
It's a yellow headed blackbird.

05-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #9287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
It's a yellow headed blackbird.
Aptly named. Evidently we have them around here but I've not seen one in the area. We get quite a few red-winged though.
05-06-2018, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #9288
Veteran Member

This guy showed up this morning minutes after dawn - seems to be a Lesser Goldfinch (EDIT: seems it is probably actually an immature Black Headed Grosbeak) with a ton of winter plummage, but I've never even seen pictures of one with this must distinct, sparrow-like streaking on the head. When I saw him first (top photo) I thought he was one of the golden-crowned sparrows we've had semi-regularly but with more springtime golden showing (it'd been a week or two since I'd seen one)... But then he hopped on the finch feeder and I saw his beak and *very* deep yellow breast with even brighter yellow streaking in the middle. That ain't no sparrow. Really interesting looking early-season bunch of feathers on this fellow!

K-3 | DA*300/4

Last edited by Eyewanders; 05-06-2018 at 10:42 AM.
05-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #9289
Pentaxian

It looks kind of like an immature Rose Breasted grosbeak, only smaller.

This one taken in the fall when it still wasn't flying all that well. Resting on the ground building strength for another go at it. He later in the week made it on to my feeders.

05-06-2018, 10:08 AM - 2 Likes   #9290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It looks kind of like an immature Rose Breasted grosbeak, only smaller.

This one taken in the fall when it still wasn't flying all that well. Resting on the ground building strength for another go at it. He later in the week made it on to my feeders.
Ahh interesting. But hmmmm - So very much yellow though, but you may be onto something. A tricky little identification, this guy.

There's this Lesser Goldfinch (which *could* be misidentified, but likely not) ...

And then there's this immature Black-Headed Grosbeak ...

Beak certainly has that grosbeak curve to it... I think the latter just might be a winner.

(I found a few more shots of a young male here...)
http://www.tulane.edu/~danny/cameron102011.html

---------- Post added 05-06-18 at 10:44 AM ----------

I think you're right about it being a Grosbeak, @normhead. Thanks!

I also snapped another of the male Violet Green Swallow - these have become my new local favorites and have visited every day.
I put out a nest box yesterday evening and haven't yet seen them today. Hoping they stick around nearby.

05-06-2018, 01:46 PM - 5 Likes   #9291
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Driving near Meaford Ontario we passed an old church being used as a barn, when out popped this fox. Her kit was right behind but was shooed in before I could get a picture.

Last edited by tuggie76; 09-14-2018 at 10:15 AM.
05-06-2018, 08:15 PM - 4 Likes   #9292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what the adult lessor goldfinch looks like in central Texas...many different color patterns with the young ones....these are year round birds here although many do migrate....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #9293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
This is what the adult lessor goldfinch looks like in central Texas...many different color patterns with the young ones....these are year round birds here although many do migrate....
They really do have many variations. Though I did just confirm the bird I photo'd yesterday was indeed an immature Black-Headed Grosbeak - a more experienced birder friend saw it and confirmed. Also, just an hour ago an adult male landed briefly at the feeders - too brief for me to grab a shot though unfortunately.
05-07-2018, 03:21 PM - 2 Likes   #9294
Pentaxian

They're back!

After 4 days not seen near the nest, today they are back, hopefully some babies soon!

Last edited by tuggie76; 09-14-2018 at 10:15 AM.
05-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #9295
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love that shot, Tuggie. You have the bird unobstructed but surrounded by natural things.
05-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #9296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I love that shot, Tuggie. You have the bird unobstructed but surrounded by natural things.
Thanks for that. The beauty is I was standing on my deck with my 300mm Pentax lens taking it
Just waiting for babies now!

Tuggie76
05-09-2018, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #9297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been tracking this yellow throat warbler for 2 weeks, it never will come out of the shadows. The phoebe stopped just long enough to get 2 shots....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-09-2018, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #9298
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Robin getting breakfast.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-09-2018, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #9299
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A little buck with growing horns in velvet.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-09-2018, 01:59 PM - 5 Likes   #9300
Pentaxian

K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM

All shot at 300mm. Most shot at ƒ8 and 400 ISO, the wood pecker image was shot at 100 ISO, don't blame the lens, the softness is motion blur. Todays theme was "who likes the peanut feeder?" It looks like the answer is "just about everyone."

Most of my Pine Siskins are gone, I think I have a breeding pair still hanging out at the feeders, I did't get an image of it at the peanut feeder, but I have proof of it's existence. I did see it briefly on the peanut feeder but didn't get an image.

The Red Breasted Nuthatch was there before I went out to the blind, and he was there after I left. but wasn't there for a photo op. And I got no decent pictures of the six grackles that are still hanging around.

And of course this guy can't get onto the peanut feeder. But I'm sure he'd love it if he could.

All these images were hand held. I don't have another telephoto I can even hold for as long as it took to get these images. As far as I'm concerned, it's great addition to the arsenal, even if in the future, it does see a lot of time in the blind. My other three telephotos get better IQ but need the tripod. But as sample images, if you look at the sharpest images, you can get'r done with this lens.