02-18-2014, 04:43 AM - 2 Likes   #1081
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A few with the DA *55...

02-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #1082
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Namajam Quote
Invested in some waders and waded into this small river in the Olympic National Forest. K3 + DA 15/4 @ f/9, .6sec, ISO-100, Mirror-up IR Remote and Polarizer. The sun fog shot DA 40/2.8 @ f/4, ISO-200, spot meter.
What part of the scene did you meter for(haven't used Spot meter yet)?
02-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #1083
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
What part of the scene did you meter for(haven't used Spot meter yet)?
I set my spot on the sun.
02-18-2014, 02:16 PM - 3 Likes   #1084
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few from the weekend...

02-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #1085
Forum Member

Thanks, Jack. I am going to go with much faster shutter and higher ISO (3200) and address any issues in post processing with Lightroom. I don't know if you recall, but in the one photo it was possible to see silver reflective material. I am going to try bouncing a flash off of that this weekend, too.

Other comments below each point:

1) To enable Expanded AF, you need to select AFC, and one of the three modes - Sel-S, Sel-M or Sel-L (easiest to change these using the Status and Info screens on the back. Note that the small button to the right of the Menu button is the one you need to push to put the K-3 into focus point selection mode). I would recommend experimenting with all of these to get a feel for how they affect your shots.

RC> I will play with these. Thanks for the tip about using the status screen!

2) Next, you should decide how you want the AFC to handle both the initial focus acquisition and shutter firing in C3-15, and the focus/shutter firing after the first shot in C3-16. Release Priority means that the shutter will fire whether or not focus has been acquired. This is used mainly by pro sports shooters who will be machine-gunning their shots. The idea is that even though the first frame may be out of focus, the AFC will have likely caught up to focus within the first few shots of the burst. Focus Priority means that the shutter will not fire until focus has been achieved for those who want more control. You will need to try both to see what works best for you.

RC> I am using: Focus priority for both

3) Then you should decide which AF Hold setting you need. This adjusts how quickly AFC reacts to change in focus. The default is Off which means that it will react immediately. The Low, Medium and High settings are meant for those situations when you want to isolate the focus on a subject which may be moving through a confusing foreground or background such as a race car or bird in flight. Delaying the AF reactivity here gives a distinct advantage in these cases.

RC> I have this set to medium. Will try it at high, too.

4) Also, go to setting C4-25 and turn off Catch-in Focus. This will work in opposition to focus tracking if enabled. Catch-in focus is meant for single shot shooting such as macro where you will be moving the whole rig to acquire focus. Not sure why Ricoh did not just code it to automatically turn off CIF when AFC is engaged. I know there will be a howl from those who actually do use AFC and CIF but it causes more problems for many photographers.

RC> I have the catch in focus off so that is taken care of, too.

After the outing Sunday I will post a couple shots so it can be seen how they came out! A friend of mine gave me a LOT of encouragement yesterday. She pointed out I should remember the photos displayed by another club member of music acts did NOT come out of his camera as shown. That even with his pro model Canon, he had to do a bit of work using Lightroom's Clarity setting. Another member unintentionally gave me encouragement when I asked him to show me some shots taken at the same event I did, out of the camera at ISO 800-3200. His were marginally sharper but definitely not by much. He was shooting a 5D Mark III.

So in the long run I just need to accept that my K3 IS working fine and producing shots not that far off from the Mark III. Now THAT is comforting!
02-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #1086
Veteran Member

Love the resolution of the K3 on this very photogenic Kestrel!

02-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #1087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! Stunning shots of the kestrel!

Jack

02-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #1088
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Normhead

The first image of the dog running towards you caught my eye. While in itself it is not an unusual picture to take, what attracted my attention is the somewhat unusual rendering of the snow with its defined shadows, mid tones and highlights. In a curious way it reminds me of picture painted in the so-called "spatula oil painting" technique.

As always, posted pictures I like, I download and play around a bit with them to see whether any improvements can be had. Mainly those where drastic correction can make a a huge difference and you wouldn't believe how many there are of those. Yours is not in this category in any way but just as an experiment what I did do is to placing a NIK VIVEZA control point over the dogs face and lightened it a little bit and it looks really neat now. It makes the eyes com out a bit more.

Neat picture just the same. Thanks

Greetings
02-19-2014, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #1089
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi Normhead

The first image of the dog running towards you caught my eye. While in itself it is not an unusual picture to take, what attracted my attention is the somewhat unusual rendering of the snow with its defined shadows, mid tones and highlights. In a curious way it reminds me of picture painted in the so-called "spatula oil painting" technique.

As always, posted pictures I like, I download and play around a bit with them to see whether any improvements can be had. Mainly those where drastic correction can make a a huge difference and you wouldn't believe how many there are of those. Yours is not in this category in any way but just as an experiment what I did do is to placing a NIK VIVEZA control point over the dogs face and lightened it a little bit and it looks really neat now. It makes the eyes com out a bit more.

Neat picture just the same. Thanks

Greetings
Normhead - I wasn't going to say anything, but since Schraubstock brought it up... that first picture grabbed me right away, I like the effect! It instantly reminded me of those paint by numbers I did as a kid with those winter horses. It was just something about the orange'ish and brown tones in the color pallet. Thanks for sharing.

The other pictures certainly show in the granularity of the snow, that the resolving power of the K3 is really high when given lots of light. Wow...

A note to all: You people need to stop posting such great K3 shots, PLEASE! I'm holding out for the FF release later this year and you all are killing me! LOL!
Eric
02-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #1090
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man! It's been 2 whole days since my post, and no new K-3 pics?

I didn't think y'all would take me literally, so please, go ahead and resume posting those great pic's.

I'll just have to learn to live with the temptation!
Eric
02-21-2014, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #1091
Veteran Member

Here's a quick and dirty in my backyard - I didn't have the most appropriate lens attached for this sort of thing at the time, so I had to make do:

Tyson vs Holyfield re-enactment
02-21-2014, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #1092
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cairngorms

DA*16-50, f8, 1/180s, ISO 100, @40mm

02-22-2014, 03:12 AM - 4 Likes   #1093

ciuffi

pentax k3 sdm 17/70 f4
Attached Images