Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All these posts with people struggling with the K-3 raw files......

The only way to properly process a K-3 raw file right now is with the Pentax software included with the camera. None of the third party applications will properly work with these files until they support this camera.

Adobe has done a pretty good job of brainwashing the masses in that their dng are universal. Right now if you process a K-3 dng in an Adobe product all you are getting are some generic renderings.

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone posted a shot from a raw file processed with the included Pentax software yet?

11-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
All these posts with people struggling with the K-3 raw files......

The only way to properly process a K-3 raw file right now is with the Pentax software included with the camera. None of the third party applications will properly work with these files until they support this camera.

Adobe has done a pretty good job of brainwashing the masses in that their dng are universal. Right now if you process a K-3 dng in an Adobe product all you are getting are some generic renderings.

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone posted a shot from a raw file processed with the included Pentax software yet?

This is a good a reason as any to delay any purchase of the K-3. Wait for the full reviews and any gremlins in the firmware to be worked out as well.

A good friend here in Thailand just bought the Nikon D610 and one third of the Nikkor Holy Trinity to go with it. Last night he was DropSend'ing me NEF files to try and open in Lightroom 5.2 and CS6. No success. Still waiting for the LR and PS updates!
11-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was a DCU4 fan, but so far I'm pretty annoyed with DCU5. It's slow and balky. I've adjusted some options which improve usability vs. the defaults, but there appear to be some glitches.

I shot a bunch of jpegs yesterday to test tracking. In Picasa, I can cycle through the jpegs, and zoom in and out quickly and effortlessly. In DCU5, the files take a ridiculously long time to load, and sometimes the zoom feature gets stuck and won't let me change viewing size. It's pretty sad that Picasa manages the files better than the native software.

PS The K-3 tracking is freakin awesome!

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-04-2013 at 07:54 AM.
11-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Oh I agree Dan - nobody likes the Pentax utility - just was making my point that there isn't really a choice yet. I would do the same and shoot jpegs for the time being like you said.

11-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Oh I agree Dan - nobody likes the Pentax utility - just was making my point that there isn't really a choice yet. I would do the same and shoot jpegs for the time being like you said.
I did like DCU4. I will use DCU5 if they fix it.
11-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #126
Inactive Account

Can anyone tell me how to post photos in a post, ? Are there any restrictions on size or number of Pics that can be included in one post.?
11-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boxcam78 Quote
Can anyone tell me how to post photos in a post, ? Are there any restrictions on size or number of Pics that can be included in one post.?
Resize your images to "fits in 1024x1024". There are no restrictions in pictures in a post, but a huge number of pictures in one post tends to clog up the thread. It's better to use a site like photo bucket, create a folder so you can link to a slideshow of it. Post a few representative images, then link to the rest.

eg.

To see all images in this album click here.

Last edited by normhead; 11-04-2013 at 10:16 AM.
11-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Nice album. Is it rain we see in the last few with the bird feeding?
11-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Nice album. Is it rain we see in the last few with the bird feeding?
Thanks, and yes, there was a light drizzle happening at the time.
11-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
eg.
When that last shot was previously posted, it had some pretty strong sharpening halos. This looks a lot better. More natural.
11-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fall hanging by threads.

11-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #132
Pentaxian

Not much happening today…. one taken with the DA * 60-250. I like the smaller focus points, they make it possible to cut through the distractions.

11-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Not sure why but the woodpeckers have left our neighborhood for about 3 weeks.

They used to be regular clients in my feeders.

Maybe I need to adapt the food and install these suet blocks.
11-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Not sure why but the woodpeckers have left our neighborhood for about 3 weeks.

They used to be regular clients in my feeders.

Maybe I need to adapt the food and install these suet blocks.
We leave the suet out year round, and they come year around.

Last edited by normhead; 11-04-2013 at 04:54 PM.
11-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Color moire removal in K-3 files

Got my K-3 today. Impressive piece of kit. I set out to torture test it as best I could. First on the bucket list was incidence of moire. I put the 18-55 AL WR on and enabled all in-camera lens corrections except NR. The processing speed of this beast is impressive. Even with all the corrections enabled, it seemed to barely hesitate before the final image was shown on the back LCD. I took a shot through the dining room window where there is a heavy drape, a crocheted liner, window glass, then mosquito screening. I was expecting some moire and it was indeed there. It showed up in the crocheted material which has a high enough thread count to provoke it. I then loaded the DNGs in darktable, my image processor of choice and proceeded to do the usual two stage denoising that I used in my K-5IIs. Glad to see that the K-3 files responded the same way and the moire was gone with only a light denoising. I will be leaving the AA removal function disabled to take advantage of the increased resolution of the K-3 sensor. Screenshots of 100% zooms attached, first with moire present and last with it removed.

Jack
Attached Images