Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #1381
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 537
QuoteOriginally posted by JaggedZenMonkey Quote
Just when I thought I had decided on a K-5 II, I view this thread and now I'm back to square one. Amazing images ya'll! The K-3 is an amazing camera in the right hands (obviously).


Not sure you were referring to me as part of the "right hands" brigade, but if you were you were mistaken. I took a 1hr 30 minute trip to a location today after an 87hr week as I simply couldn't take any more emails and phone calls wanting me to do this or that. So I decided on some photographic R&R in the West Highlands. I trekked out to my chosen location and set up my tripod, panoramic head and rail. I mounted my K3 and grip on with an L -bracket, selected and my landscape user mode, and started shooting some HDR panoramic shots. HDR Panoramas are new to me and I was keen to try them out. It was very bright and also very hazy. I thought I could see a weird colouration on the play back, but thought it was just my eyes not adjusting from looking at the scene and then to the rear screen.


To cut a long story short my user mode had somehow changed to cross processing with images recorded at JPES S ***. I discovered this on my return home. I sighed deeply and formatted the card. A hard lesson learned. I still have absolutely no idea how my user mode 1 got to have these settings, but from now on I'll check before shooting. As R&R goes the trek was fine but the benefits were rather negated when I viewed the contents of the SD card.

03-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #1382
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Not sure you were referring to me as part of the "right hands" brigade, but if you were you were mistaken. I took a 1hr 30 minute trip to a location today after an 87hr week as I simply couldn't take any more emails and phone calls wanting me to do this or that. So I decided on some photographic R&R in the West Highlands. I trekked out to my chosen location and set up my tripod, panoramic head and rail. I mounted my K3 and grip on with an L -bracket, selected and my landscape user mode, and started shooting some HDR panoramic shots. HDR Panoramas are new to me and I was keen to try them out. It was very bright and also very hazy. I thought I could see a weird colouration on the play back, but thought it was just my eyes not adjusting from looking at the scene and then to the rear screen.


To cut a long story short my user mode had somehow changed to cross processing with images recorded at JPES S ***. I discovered this on my return home. I sighed deeply and formatted the card. A hard lesson learned. I still have absolutely no idea how my user mode 1 got to have these settings, but from now on I'll check before shooting. As R&R goes the trek was fine but the benefits were rather negated when I viewed the contents of the SD card.
Bummer! I'm sure i'll have many days like that also. I haven't used an dslr for a few years now, so I'm back to basics. The K-3 produces amazing images, and when in the right hands I'd suggest phenomenal even. I was on the fence between the K-5 IIs and the K-3, but I've decided on the K-5 IIs because of its amazing value. I love love love the K-3. It certainly has drool factor, but I chose the K-5 II's for it's practicality and value.
03-30-2014, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #1383
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 537
QuoteOriginally posted by JaggedZenMonkey Quote
but I've decided on the K-5 IIs because of its amazing value. I love love love the K-3. It certainly has drool factor, but I chose the K-5 II's for it's practicality and value

Good choice. I have both. I lean towards the K3 for it's responsiveness and detail in things like trees in landscape shots and cropability. I can't say I've missed ISO 80 much whilst using the K3, but I still use my K5iis in certain scenarios and as a truly competent backup camera. When I do use it I now notice the slower camera processing, but when it was all I had that wasn't a problem for my typical usage. Enjoy your K5iis it's a great camera.
03-30-2014, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #1384
Pentaxiste
DimC's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 361
K3 + Plastic wonder DA35mm /f2.4



Sigma 17-70mm DC OS HSM






Some Scary Moments



Some Tamron 90mm /f 2.8 Sweetness



03-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #1385
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
K-3 sample shots

Homeless man 'Lary', who just wants to be noticed:


Low light, NR applied via parametric mask (darker areas get more aggresive NR) in Darkroom:
03-30-2014, 09:58 PM - 3 Likes   #1386
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,365
DA 12-24mm F4






DA* 16-50mm F2.8


DA* 50-135mm F2.8

Last edited by john5100; 03-30-2014 at 10:31 PM.
03-31-2014, 01:08 AM   #1387
Pentaxian
SkipperRi's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Rijeka
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 593
One from yesterday morning... This is my best friend K-3 + HD 55-300 WR
03-31-2014, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #1388
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,307
K-3 + DA*300 and testing fill flash. Metz 50 AF-1





03-31-2014, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #1389
Site Supporter
Stone G.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,516
Pentax K-3 and the amateurish Amateur

So, here is a truly amateurish snapshot of a blue tit, much too small, much too far away and shot with a much too short lens:


Pentax K-3 + DA* 200mm photo


However, what did amaze me a bit was, that one could actually crop so tight and get a decent result like this:


Click to see 100% non-resized non-sharpened/non-postprocessed image

Surely, that K-3 sensor does offer something extra in terms of resolution!
03-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #1390
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,064
Out in the rain yesterday. DA* 300 f/4, ISO 6400, PP in LR 5.3.


Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 03-31-2014 at 10:47 AM.
03-31-2014, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #1391
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 528
DA * 300





I shot the three first scenes using a tripod and a viewfinder, instead of of LCD, because the C.D. AF with this lens was too slow and inaccurate. The last shot is cropped and was shot handheld some days later. Take a closer look at the third shot, there is a funnel of another ship, behind the red Viking Line ferry, disappearing behind the horizon, due to the curvature of the earth. According the formula, that ship was rougly 6,5 km away from me. The lens is very sensitive to atmospheric conditions.
03-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #1392
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 537
I popped down to coast to catch the forecasted sunset with Saharan dust influenced colours. It rained. So from the comfort of my car I shot handheld at ISO 1100. Not the Saharan effects I was hoping for, but a dank rainy evening has a feel of its own.





04-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #1393
Pentaxian
SkipperRi's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Rijeka
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 593
Couple shots from this sunday. Weather was just perfect, spring in full beauty, lot of sun.
K-3 with smc PENTAX DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fish-Eye




04-01-2014, 01:26 AM   #1394
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,307
QuoteOriginally posted by SkipperRi Quote
Couple shots from this sunday. Weather was just perfect, spring in full beauty, lot of sun.
K-3 with smc PENTAX DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fish-Eye




That lens is a really fun lens. I just love to take it out and get dead close to things and still get the whole world in the frame.
04-01-2014, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #1395
Pentaxian
SkipperRi's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Rijeka
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 593
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
That lens is a really fun lens. I just love to take it out and get dead close to things and still get the whole world in the frame.
Absolutely I agree. I'm really impressed with quality, sharpness and capabilities to do close shots. For me, no doubt, this is amazing lens. Here's another proof. Of course, this image is cropped from the original, but combo K-3 with this lens gave me opportunity to shoot some almost macro shots.



Regards.

Last edited by SkipperRi; 04-01-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
australia, auto, bittern, da, dslr, exposure, fa, flickr, info, iso, jpg, k-3, k3, k5-iis, morning, pentax k-3, photography, pics, pm, post, sample, shot, shots, sunbird, thread, wb
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Q street shots - post them here. barondla Pentax Q 254 04-22-2016 05:46 PM
Suggestion Create ONE thread with K3 sample shots to make it easier to navigate jpzk Site Suggestions and Help 2 10-31-2013 07:51 PM
DA 55-300 Sample Shots (x7), no post processing cputeq Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 07-04-2008 01:01 AM
Post Your Eclipse shots here. vievetrick Post Your Photos! 34 02-25-2008 08:14 AM
Spring! Post your Motorcycle shots here! slip Post Your Photos! 33 04-28-2007 05:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top