Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #856
Inactive Account

After a week of noodling with the camera and getting used to things. was out looking at wedding venues yesterday and took the camera with me. These were all inside the hotel in low light. all but the glass jar are at iso3200. I had turned off the NR entirely in the camera body but had shake reduction turned on. Low f stop hence lack of DOF on the wine bottle. Fast focus in poor light, I was impressed. It did not hunt once.

Attached Images

01-19-2014, 11:08 AM - 3 Likes   #857
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 + Sigma 500 F4.5

01-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #858
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
Night shot taken few hours ago.

Very nice!
01-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Seattle's 12th Man
Great shot, John

01-19-2014, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #860
Inactive Account

Out in the countryside of the Yorkshire Dales today. shot about 4pm with sun getting low in the sky. this is on the bog standard 18-55 WR kit lens from my prior K30. The first panorama is 3 shots stitched together in photoshop. the full size image is 14000 pixels wide!!
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by lancer3397; 01-19-2014 at 02:43 PM.
01-19-2014, 05:19 PM - 3 Likes   #861
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heard this guy a few blocks from my house.
DA*300mm
01-20-2014, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #862
Veteran Member

Finally, yesterday I tested my Pentax K-3 in really horrible weather conditions. There was very strong wind, rain, waves, pretty cold... But, when I left my daughter on birthday party, I went to the nearest beach, put my K-3 on tripod and shot few photos with remote. There is a result...

Regards

01-20-2014, 03:17 AM   #863
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
DA*300mm
Fantastic! Congrats, dane.
01-20-2014, 10:28 AM - 4 Likes   #864
Forum Member

Hello my fellow K-3 users. I'm still learning the camera and its been a challenge but a fun challenge. I'm still learning the intricacies. I'm having problems with noise at higher ISO's. I've turned the NR off but still get a bit of noise compared to some of the fantastic shots I've seen on this site with higher ISO's. I'm thinking operator error along with some practice makes perfect concepts.
The below shots were taken with the DA 15/4 and FA* 24/2 on the Elwah Trail in the Olympic National Forest, Washington.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #865

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
DA*300mm
Great shots!
01-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #866
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Namajam Quote
Hello my fellow K-3 users. I'm still learning the camera and its been a challenge but a fun challenge. I'm still learning the intricacies. I'm having problems with noise at higher ISO's. I've turned the NR off but still get a bit of noise compared to some of the fantastic shots I've seen on this site with higher ISO's. I'm thinking operator error along with some practice makes perfect concepts.
The below shots were taken with the DA 15/4 and FA* 24/2 on the Elwah Trail in the Olympic National Forest, Washington.
I'm little confused. Yes, I'm also begginer according to K-3, but how turning off NR can help with avoiding noise?
BTW, great shots!
01-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #867
Pentaxian

IN many of my higher high ISO images there is significant noise reduction applied to large parts of the image.

And sometimes I don't apply any at all.

It depends on how bad the noise is, however, just because it's a high ISO image, you can't tell by looking at the images how much work I've done on it. There seems to be large variations in IQ coming from the camera based on factors I haven't taken the time to isolate.

Both these images are shot at 800 ISO, one needed extensive noise reduction, one didn't.

QuoteQuote:
I'm little confused. Yes, I'm also begginer according to K-3, but how turning off NR can help with avoiding noise?
BTW, great shots!
No one has yet to demonstrate that turning off NR makes any difference at all on RAW files... it's just one of those ideas that's out there. I haven't tested it yet, and i don't think anyone else has either.

The turning off the NR thing could be a mis-interpretation of some crazy reaction I got in another thread when I compared K-3 to K-5 images. When people don't like what you post, they say all kinds of crazy s&*t.

Last edited by normhead; 01-20-2014 at 11:28 AM.
01-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #868
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IN many of my higher high ISO images there is significant noise reduction applied to large parts of the image.

And sometimes I don't apply any at all.

It depends on how bad the noise is, however, just because it's a high ISO image, you can't tell by looking at the images how much work I've done on it. There seems to be large variations in IQ coming from the camera based on factors I haven't taken the time to isolate.

Both these images are shot at 800 ISO, one needed extensive noise reduction, one didn't.

No one has yet to demonstrate that turning off NR makes any difference at all on RAW files... it's just one of those ideas that's out there. I haven't tested it yet, and i don't think anyone else has either.

The turning off the NR thing could be a mis-interpretation of some crazy reaction I got in another thread when I compared K-3 to K-5 images. When people don't like what you post, they say all kinds of crazy s&*t.
I think the hard part is what lightroom and aperture do to files behind the scenes. If you shoot RAW and open it in lightroom, often there are automatic noise reduction settings that are toggled on based on the jpeg settings from the camera. You can turn these back off if you want, but you have to realize that they were turned on first.

But RAW is RAW and I don't think noise reduction or other jpeg settings do anything more than change the initial look when you import the file.
01-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #869
Veteran Member

Based on yours experience, what's best choice in ISO settings? I shoot only RAW, so, should I go to NR on (and on which value) or of, and which setting (slow, green, fast) is the best in Auto ISO Parameters?
01-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #870
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SkipperRi Quote
Based on yours experience, what's best choice in ISO settings? I shoot only RAW, so, should I go to NR on (and on which value) or of, and which setting (slow, green, fast) is the best in Auto ISO Parameters?
If long exposures aren't a problem for you always shoot in ISO 100 (which may require a tripod).
If they are a problem then just increase the ISO as much as you need to get the required shutter speed, but no more.

If using auto ISO, I'll set it to 100-3200 or 100-1600 but sometimes it will pick a higher ISO than you may need, especially if you are using a tripod. In those cases I set it my self to the lowest value that would work for that particular shot.