Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #1966
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You've got some nice colour contrast there.
Thanks, these are both bracketed at 1 stop and tone mapped in Photomatix & Lightroom. It was the only way I could pull the blues out of the clouds. In person they were a really bright aquamarine, it was a surreal storm to see!

07-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #1967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Anyway a few of mine from today... From around the Garden, K-3 and 18-135...
Hi
Norm I have a question, not a criticism, your first two and the last flower shot display distinct dark edges along the petals. Can you explain how this has come about ? I am curious. Perhaps from sharpening ?

Greetings
07-05-2014, 06:12 AM   #1968
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kardinal Quote
Shot with my shiny new K-3 and the DA 18-55 kit lens that came with my k-x.
Nice processing on the first scene. I often have trouble working the sky and clouds like that.

I always believed the kit lens from the K-x had something special about it. I don't remember ever taking a dud shot with it on the K-x. That lens is a keeper.
07-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #1969
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kardinal Quote
Shot with my shiny new K-3 and the DA 18-55 kit lens that came with my k-x.
Awesome cloud shots kardinal !!!

With the DA* 60-250 f4, and experimenting with Nik Silver Efex Pro 2

Railroad trestlework-1
by chuck_c 8, on Flickr

RR track swerve at bridge end-1
by chuck_c 8, on Flickr

RR tracks across a bridge-1
by chuck_c 8, on Flickr

07-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #1970
Forum Member

07-05-2014, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #1971
Pentaxian

I took my 2 day old K3 to the boat races today!

07-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #1972
Veteran Member

I have a few ?'s for all the k3 owners. Is the autofocus that much better on it than the k5 and how about noise at 1600 iso can anyone post some images for me at this iso thank you.

07-06-2014, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #1973
Veteran Member

Couple macro shots from my garden, photographed about an hour ago. K-3 with smc PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR

Bzzzzzz...
by Tomislav Ćuto, on Flickr

Approaching...

Sunny wings

---------- Post added 07-06-14 at 12:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
I have a few ?'s for all the k3 owners. Is the autofocus that much better on it than the k5 and how about noise at 1600 iso can anyone post some images for me at this iso thank you.
I never owned K-5, so I can't tell you how much is autofocus in K-3 better, but compared to my K-7 is absolutely brilliant. Also, I never had needs to shoot with 1600 ISO, but here are some pictures with ISO 800, 1000 and 1250. I hope that you can get a picture how K-3 is good with higher ISO values, and that these pictures can help you. Probably someone will post some pictures with 1600 ISO. Also, I'm never concerned how will higher ISO affect to the picture, because there is so many software that can help you to reduce noise if you want to.

ISO 800

My Golden4

The colors of sunset

Croak

ISO 1000

Behind the leaves

ISO 1250

City life

Last edited by SkipperRi; 07-06-2014 at 03:16 AM.
07-06-2014, 04:02 AM - 2 Likes   #1974
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few DA 15 shots.

07-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #1975
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A few DA 15 shots.

Great shots! My favorite is No.1, is there some PP to get that amazing sun flare?
07-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #1976
Pentaxian

Tomislav,
The DA15 has a well deserved reputation for starbursts, especially the older model. It works particularly well on snow/ski shots.
07-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #1977
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
Norm I have a question, not a criticism, your first two and the last flower shot display distinct dark edges along the petals. Can you explain how this has come about ? I am curious. Perhaps from sharpening ?

Greetings
No, worse that that , the dreaded purple fringing Even with a modern lens like the 18-135, if you shoot something backlit or high contrast, purple fringing can rear it's ugly head. In this case it affects the horizontal surfaces in the bottom of the frame. I guess in this shot, that's where the conditions that need to be duplicated to produce it were adequately met. Here's the pixel peepers. To me if I really wanted a print of the flower, I'd correct that in post, but it would probably involve some cloning. I wouldn't do that unless it was to sell the print.

If I went our right now and took the same flower, light coming from a different angle etc. it probably wouldn't happen again. Easier in this instance to reshoot than PP, I'm sure.

But the big weakness of the 18-135 is CA, which you can also see is more than one pixel, even where there isn't fringing.

But hey, apart from the fringing, (and CA) look at that detail

Originally posted image....

P.S. Tess and I recently went through a photography book on Canada's National parks, and because our training, a good 3rd of the pictures were ruined for us by purple fringing. If we weren't trained to look for it, we might have enjoyed those pictures. Sometimes you can know too much.

I think the best way to avoid purple fringing completely would be do what SkipperRI did posting right below me, shoot something purple. I also suspect some of what appears to be CA is a diffraction effect off the edge of the petal. And as a last consideration, Tess and I were sitting out on the point at Lobster one night.. and we noticed that there was a dark line around the tress against the horizon line. We have always assumed that was some kind of artifact.. caused by our lenses, but there are times when you can see it. SO whatever the effect is, our own eye's are prone to it, which might suggest that if we are specifically looking for the purple, the effect of fringing may be already known and experienced by us as a natural effect.

It may well be that our eyes expect it to be there.

The band of darkness along the divide between the trees and horizon (right side of the image) was visible to the naked eye, so should it be there as a natural occurring part of sensory reality, or removed as a diffraction artifact?

PPS. also of note, when we have purple fringing like this, the first step in getting rid of it is to turn off the sharpening. It is accentuate in this image because there is sharpening applied. But it would still be there without the sharpening, just not as sharp.

Last edited by normhead; 07-06-2014 at 10:31 AM.
07-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #1978
Unregistered User

If find it pretty easy to get rid of all these problems in post.
07-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #1979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SkipperRi Quote
Great shots! My favorite is No.1, is there some PP to get that amazing sun flare?
Not anything in particular. I did some sharpening in Lightroom and a graduated filter there as well. But that's just the way the DA 15 limited behaves in that sort of light.
07-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #1980
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Tomislav,
The DA15 has a well deserved reputation for starbursts, especially the older model. It works particularly well on snow/ski shots.
Thank you for the info, my friend.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Not anything in particular. I did some sharpening in Lightroom and a graduated filter there as well. But that's just the way the DA 15 limited behaves in that sort of light.
Great, thanks for the reply.