Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16947 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #2851
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Badger Logic Quote
On closer inspection, I do see two slight spots... could this been a dirty lens or something more?
There are actually 6 and 2 pieces of fluff and it is crap on the sensor pure and simple. But only three are really bothersome.

I have sharpened the areas a bit to make them more visible.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 12-19-2014 at 11:52 PM.
12-15-2014, 03:41 AM   #2852
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Earlier this week I posted a picture that I took on a hike near Cripple Creek looking toward the Sawatch Range. The picture was shot with my brand new K3. I cleaned it up a bit in Lightroom 5. A couple of people noticed what they believed to be spots that were originating from my sensor. I did not think that it would have been possible as the camera has not been opened in any setting where stuff could have made it to the sensor. I even checked it. I did check my lens and found it to be dirty even though I am not sure how as I usually clean and cap between shoots. But there was no doubt it was dirty. I took the spots out of the picture in Lightroom and reposted. I explained about the dirty lens and thanked those people who kindly pointed out that the picture was flawed. One gentleman explained it might have been something on the rear element of the lens. I could not see anything there but I did go ahead and cleaned the lens. I got to thinking that any similar picture with the same settings and same balance of sky and mountains with the focus on infinity would have the same anomaly and I would need to clean those shots up as well. To my surprise, this picture represents what I found...or to be more precise, what I did not find on the pictures that I took moments apart. No spots. Nada. Zip. They were there on the first one and very noticeable. This shot has had no touchup. Can anyone explain what may have happened here? Could I have a sensor problem from the manufacturer? Thoughts please.

Robert

---------- Post added 12-14-14 at 11:13 PM ----------

On closer inspection, I do see two slight spots... could this been a dirty lens or something more?
I think it is sensor dust. If you own a rocket blower, just give it a few puffs and see if that takes care of it. Sensor dust becomes apparent when you are stopped down, so photos taken at f13 will tend to show it, while photos that are more wide open won't.

Dirt on your lens really doesn't effect photos much, unless you are shooting into strong light sources, in which case it will increase flare a lot.

I really would use a blower on it. It isn't a big deal and very easy to take care of.

Country Road.

Kind of creepy orange snowman...

Last edited by Rondec; 12-15-2014 at 04:41 AM.
12-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #2853
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cross posted in the DA 18-135 club..

K-3 , DA 18-135, ISO 400. ƒ5.6

Huntsville , Ontario, Canada

12-16-2014, 04:46 AM   #2854
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some gray days...

12-16-2014, 05:25 AM   #2855

Earlier this week I posted a picture that I took on a hike near Cripple Creek looking toward the Sawatch Range. The picture was shot with my brand new K3. I cleaned it up a bit in Lightroom 5. A couple of people noticed what they believed to be spots that were originating from my sensor. I did not think that it would have been possible as the camera has not been opened in any setting where stuff could have made it to the sensor. I even checked it. I did check my lens and found it to be dirty even though I am not sure how as I usually clean and cap between shoots. But there was no doubt it was dirty. I took the spots out of the picture in Lightroom and reposted. I explained about the dirty lens and thanked those people who kindly pointed out that the picture was flawed. One gentleman explained it might have been something on the rear element of the lens. I could not see anything there but I did go ahead and cleaned the lens. I got to thinking that any similar picture with the same settings and same balance of sky and mountains with the focus on infinity would have the same anomaly and I would need to clean those shots up as well. To my surprise, this picture represents what I found...or to be more precise, what I did not find on the pictures that I took moments apart. No spots. Nada. Zip. They were there on the first one and very noticeable. This shot has had no touchup. Can anyone explain what may have happened here? Could I have a sensor problem from the manufacturer? Thoughts please.

Robert

---------- Post added 12-14-14 at 11:13 PM ----------

If you have the shake cleaner option switched so that it shakes the sensor when you switch on and off, the camera has probably dealt with the dust spot on its own. I would not suggest you resort to cleaning the sensor, this may just add rubbish inside the camera. The Pentax sensor cleaning routine is pretty good at dealing with the occasional problem. Be careful though of such contaminants as pollen, as this can be sticky and hard to shake off.

---------- Post added 12-16-14 at 12:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Monobod Quote
If you have the shake cleaner option switched so that it shakes the sensor when you switch on and off, the camera has probably dealt with the dust spot on its own. I would not suggest you resort to cleaning the sensor, this may just add rubbish inside the camera. The Pentax sensor cleaning routine is pretty good at dealing with the occasional problem. Be careful though of such contaminants as pollen, as this can be sticky and hard to shake off.
Also, I forgot to mention that there is an option in the Menu called 'Dust Alert' (spanner 4) which takes a shot of the sensor and shows the position of any dust spots. It displays on the rear screen after processing the data. This should show any problems and you can then use the shake routing cleaner to deal with it.
12-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #2856
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by Monobod Quote
The Pentax sensor cleaning routine is pretty good at dealing with the occasional problem.
Agree with this - my old K-r had a couple of dust spots that the sensor clean never shifted, but that camera just uses the sensor shift mechanism. The K-3 uses an ultrasonic vibration though, and in my experience this is much more effective.
12-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #2857

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
Agree with this - my old K-r had a couple of dust spots that the sensor clean never shifted, but that camera just uses the sensor shift mechanism. The K-3 uses an ultrasonic vibration though, and in my experience this is much more effective.
I too noticed much less dust on my K-3 sensor, compared with my K-r. When I do find a mark that I think might be sensor dirt is actually a smudge on the lens.

12-16-2014, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #2858
Pentaxian

Last edited by LeRolls; 12-16-2014 at 11:45 PM.
12-17-2014, 04:19 AM   #2859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple more 16-50 shots.

12-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #2860
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Very nice. Perfect exposure on the walnuts, really brings out a lot of depth to the photo.
12-17-2014, 10:48 PM - 2 Likes   #2861
Forum Member

K3 + Sigma 17-50mm f2.8

Cheers,

Simon.

---------- Post added 12-17-14 at 10:50 PM ----------

K3 + Tamron 70-200mm f2.8

Cheers,

Simon.
12-17-2014, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #2862
Veteran Member

12-18-2014, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #2863
Veteran Member

Holy crap guys, these photos are amazing!

Again, I was a back up trying to get some experience with weddings

Robin and Justin Wedding
by John Rudolph Photography, on Flickr

Robin and Justin Wedding

This one is from the good old' K200D. Still love that camera!

Robin and Justin Wedding

Last edited by john5100; 12-18-2014 at 06:34 PM.
12-19-2014, 12:20 AM   #2864

Like a lot of you, I subscribe to a few different threads on PF, but what I find remarkable about this thread in particular is that I often have to check whether I'm on this or the 'Medium Format photos' (645), thread. Seriously, there are some outstanding images here!
12-19-2014, 05:19 AM   #2865
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Very nice. Perfect exposure on the walnuts, really brings out a lot of depth to the photo.
Thanks! Much appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by Srhphoto Quote
K3 + Sigma 17-50mm f2.8

Cheers,

Simon.

---------- Post added 12-17-14 at 10:50 PM ----------

K3 + Tamron 70-200mm f2.8

Cheers,

Simon.
Great sense of motion on both of these shots! Beautiful stuff!