Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16940 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #5581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Nice effects with the fog about the pots.

Where was it and what style of serving of the stinky tofu were they doing. I have not seen it cooked outside with equipment that looks like that. Usually I see a large black wok with a draining grill on it.
Thanks Tim! This was at the Ottawa Asian Fest Night Market in Gatineau, Quebec Canada. I'm not sure the style to tell you the truth but it was quite an interesting treat. They were deep frying it then had a number of condiments, including some of the hottest sauce I've had in a long time.

I'm all for enjoying dishes from other parts of the world, and this is a fine example of something that you'd never find in North American cooking! The smell really was something else, I could smell it on the other side of the hotel when I arrived.

Another photo of the fry up

---------- Post added 01-23-16 at 10:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Well, the wind's blowing and we have over 12" of snow so far here in central Virginia, but I don't know if it's technically a blizzard. Still, that's what everyone's calling it.

I got these shots yesterday before conditions got too bad.... taken with the DA*300mm lens. Hope everyone affected by the storm stays safe and warm!
These are incredible loco, well done!!

01-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #5582
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks so much, bobbotron! And I absolutely love your steamy "fry up" photos! You nailed the exposure.
01-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #5583
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shooting Lori and bobbotron!
01-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #5584
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Thanks Tim! This was at the Ottawa Asian Fest Night Market in Gatineau, Quebec Canada. I'm not sure the style to tell you the truth but it was quite an interesting treat. They were deep frying it then had a number of condiments, including some of the hottest sauce I've had in a long time.

I'm all for enjoying dishes from other parts of the world, and this is a fine example of something that you'd never find in North American cooking! The smell really was something else, I could smell it on the other side of the hotel when I arrived.

Another photo of the fry up

---------- Post added 01-23-16 at 10:41 AM ----------

These are incredible loco, well done!!
That is the most common style of smelly tofu. Deep fried with pickled vegetables. This is the normal night market version. I have heard the dish is Taiwanese and that it is also available around Shanghai.

01-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #5585
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the wind's blowing and we have over 12" of snow so far here in central Virginia, but I don't know if it's technically a blizzard. Still, that's what everyone's calling it.
To "officially" be a blizzard you need sustained winds of at least 35mph and visibility below 1/4 mile caused by heavy snow, for a period of at least three hours. Not an easy or pleasant combination to achieve.

And the cardinal image is really nice. That species always seems to look its best in the snow.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-23-2016 at 12:47 PM.
01-23-2016, 12:12 PM - 3 Likes   #5586
Pentaxian

K3 + Sigma 500 F4.5 + Pentax 1.4x TC

01-23-2016, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #5587
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice shooting Lori and bobbotron!
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
To "officially" be a blizzard you need sustained winds of at least 35mph and visibility below 1/4 mile caused by heavy snow, for a period of at least three hours. Not an easy or pleasant combination to achieve.

And the cardinal image is really nice. That species always seems to look its best in the snow.
Thank you both!

Well, it may not be this way for a long enough period of time to officially be a blizzard, but this image was taken a few minutes ago. It's pretty brutal right now....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-23-2016, 01:30 PM - 3 Likes   #5588
Pentaxian

One from this morning's blue hour. More to come... Could maybe use some NR? Didn't apply any. Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4.5.

01-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #5589

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
One from this morning's blue hour. More to come... Could maybe use some NR? Didn't apply any. Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4.5.

It's lovely. I looked at it on flickr and it doesn't seem noisy at all, quite clean.
01-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #5590

I got these shots yesterday before conditions got too bad.... taken with the DA*300mm lens. Hope everyone affected by the storm stays safe and warm!
Really nice shots, and under duress. I want to stay inside just looking at that weather.
01-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #5591
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weldon Berger Quote
Really nice shots, and under duress. I want to stay inside just looking at that weather.
Thank you! I was very glad to see the snow stop this evening, that's for sure!
01-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #5592
Veteran Member

Nice bird shots, LOCO. How do hou keep the noise down at those relatively ISOs?

Very good.
01-24-2016, 01:43 AM   #5593
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TroutHunterJohn Quote
Nice bird shots, LOCO. How do hou keep the noise down at those relatively ISOs?

Very good.
Thank you! They were processed first in Lightroom 6 where I applied luminance NR as well as color NR if necessary. I also used masking and sharpened them a bit. Then I opened them in Photoshop Elements and used the ancient but still great plugin Noise Ninja with very low luminance strength and smoothness settings and no sharpening. Then I applied a little more sharpening using Unsharp Mask.
01-24-2016, 02:52 AM - 3 Likes   #5594
Forum Member

01-24-2016, 03:56 AM - 6 Likes   #5595
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tree Before Dawn.