Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #5836
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With HD DA 55-300mm:

02-16-2016, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #5837
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
She is classic Slavic beauty... I am guessing, but I do not think so that I am wrong, as she has all features of a Slavic woman. Only LeRolls can clarify this dilemma.
Well... her name is Marina if that helps at all. She was definitely born and raised in south Florida but I am unaware of her family's origins. I hope to shoot with her again soon.
02-16-2016, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #5838
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cold pigeons in Ottawa. 55-300, I like this lens though it's slow nature forces you to the higher speeds in these gray days. Was great to have a WR lens in the snow today.

02-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #5839
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Cold pigeons in Ottawa. 55-300, I like this lens though it's slow nature forces you to the higher speeds in these gray days. Was great to have a WR lens in the snow today.

[
QuoteOriginally posted by Jorgario Quote
With HD DA 55-300mm:
That's it, I'm going to delay buying a GPS unit for Astrotracing. I am going to buy the 55-300 first. I've always wanted a longer lens than my 50-135 but I am so broke right now. The 55-300 from what I've seen, is a great budget alternative to DA* 60-250 or DA* 300

02-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #5840
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
That's it, I'm going to delay buying a GPS unit for Astrotracing. I am going to buy the 55-300 first. I've always wanted a longer lens than my 50-135 but I am so broke right now. The 55-300 from what I've seen, is a great budget alternative to DA* 60-250 or DA* 300
I just recently bought mine through a forum member. I really like it right now, it's much beefier than online comments had be believing, it's a well put together lens. I'm still hesitant to push the WR, but it's great that it has it! Would definitely recommend. :-)

Edit, I should say, it's super dim out these days where I am, I can't wait for sunny 16 (or hazy 11) EV days to really let this thing really shine at sport photography.
02-17-2016, 01:53 AM   #5841
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Well... her name is Marina if that helps at all. She was definitely born and raised in south Florida but I am unaware of her family's origins. I hope to shoot with her again soon.
For sure Slavic, probably Russian or Ukrainian heritage... Looking forward to those pictures!
02-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #5842
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another test of the 55-300 lens, brighter day today. TAv mode is great for ensuring both shutter speed and aperture, keeps the DOF from getting to shallow and the motion blur down.

02-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #5843
Veteran Member

In this case, I think the purple fringing is desirable!
I'm impressed with what I've seen out of that lens too. I won't be able to afford the HD WR version anytime soon, but if I see a DA / DA L version under $100 on eBay I'll probably swoop in and snag it.
02-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #5844
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just recently bought mine through a forum member. I really like it right now, it's much beefier than online comments had be believing, it's a well put together lens. I'm still hesitant to push the WR, but it's great that it has it! Would definitely recommend. :-)

Edit, I should say, it's super dim out these days where I am, I can't wait for sunny 16 (or hazy 11) EV days to really let this thing really shine at sport photography.
Don't worry about the WR. I used a DA 55-300 non-WR on a whale trip off Maui, HI in December 2014. There were 11 people on the boat, out of 55 who had booked, and we were five of them, postponed from the cancelled first trip that day. 2 metre waves, rain, high wind (up to 40 mph/70 kph). The lens and camera survived just fine. The only care I took was to keep the front element pointed level and down, never up. I still use the lens.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 02-17-2016 at 09:17 AM.
02-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #5845
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
In this case, I think the purple fringing is desirable!
I'm impressed with what I've seen out of that lens too. I won't be able to afford the HD WR version anytime soon, but if I see a DA / DA L version under $100 on eBay I'll probably swoop in and snag it.
Ha! I dialed up the saturation for this photo as well, to try to bring out the purple in the feathers.

One more, of the giant arch in China town, full zoom in from about... 40 feet away? I could do better, but I think this is a really good example of what it's capable of.

Last edited by bobbotron; 02-17-2016 at 10:06 AM.
02-17-2016, 07:42 PM - 3 Likes   #5846
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
last year just before summer...taken with K3 + DA35 mm Ltd

Florida Sunrise

Last edited by gda13; 03-23-2016 at 11:22 AM.
02-17-2016, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #5847
Pentaxian

02-17-2016, 11:24 PM - 2 Likes   #5848

OK after months of seeing the above LeRolls shots and trying to get to that level of artistry I think I have come close with a shot. I'm in Minnesota so it won't be a gal by the water this time of year and never as good as his. But I want to get to the level of epic good taste, clean lines and elegant beauty to tell stories the way he does. And for a simple 2 flash shot in front of the white board in our church conference room I'm really proud of this one!

02-18-2016, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #5849
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by charchri4 Quote
OK after months of seeing the above LeRolls shots and trying to get to that level of artistry I think I have come close with a shot. I'm in Minnesota so it won't be a gal by the water this time of year and never as good as his. But I want to get to the level of epic good taste, clean lines and elegant beauty to tell stories the way he does. And for a simple 2 flash shot in front of the white board in our church conference room I'm really proud of this one!

Nice! Well lit, sharp, and it definitely tells a story. No need to shoot by the water. I'm sure you could get some nice portraits outside with the snow and the trees. The effects of winter can add a lot of atmosphere to an image. Or maybe take an image of someone next to a cozy fireplace. There are always options.

FA77

Met up with a lovely Ukrainian model this morning and even though she was almost an hour late we still got some nice shots and I hope to work with her again sometime.
02-18-2016, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #5850
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by charchri4 Quote

Nice! Well lit, sharp, and it definitely tells a story. No need to shoot by the water. I'm sure you could get some nice portraits outside with the snow and the trees. The effects of winter can add a lot of atmosphere to an image. Or maybe take an image of someone next to a cozy fireplace. There are always options.

FA77

Met up with a lovely Ukrainian model this morning and even though she was almost an hour late we still got some nice shots and I hope to work with her again sometime.