10-01-2016, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #7367
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another roof top shot with the FA 31

10-03-2016, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #7368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cordwood construction. Took this during a neat farm tour near Wakefield, Quebec.

10-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #7369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Cordwood construction. Took this during a neat farm tour near Wakefield, Quebec.
My father-in-law experimented with cordwood construction by building a wood storage shed on his hobby farm. The concept is very simple, wood swells and shrinks in length rather than diameter, so the mortar holding all the wood together rarely cracks.There are cordwood structures over a thousand years old.

Like I said, simple in concept, not so simple in construction. Each length of wood must be cut to the exact thickness of the wall and all the bark removed. My father-in-law hired his younger grandkids to strip bark for a summer - and they took all summer for like I said, a simple wood shed. He didn't care, it gave the kids some pocket money and he got to spend time with them. He died the following winter.

My brother-in-law built the cordwood walls - construction is similar to building mortar & stone walls - keep it level and keep it plumb. The wood shed was finished a decade ago and still looks great.

10-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #7370
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jim, we need a picture or it didn't happpen.
10-03-2016, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #7371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

couple more at sunset last week

10-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #7372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
My father-in-law experimented with cordwood construction by building a wood storage shed on his hobby farm. The concept is very simple, wood swells and shrinks in length rather than diameter, so the mortar holding all the wood together rarely cracks.There are cordwood structures over a thousand years old.

Like I said, simple in concept, not so simple in construction. Each length of wood must be cut to the exact thickness of the wall and all the bark removed. My father-in-law hired his younger grandkids to strip bark for a summer - and they took all summer for like I said, a simple wood shed. He didn't care, it gave the kids some pocket money and he got to spend time with them. He died the following winter.

My brother-in-law built the cordwood walls - construction is similar to building mortar & stone walls - keep it level and keep it plumb. The wood shed was finished a decade ago and still looks great.
I've always wanted to try building one of these buildings, but I had a hunch it was a lot of work. Interesting story, thanks for sharing!

10-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #7373
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote

Is cordwood only suitable in places not subject to termites and similar attack?
10-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #7374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Is cordwood only suitable in places not subject to termites and similar attack?
I have to assume that might be desireable. I suppose the owner could regularly treat with insecticide (harder to do the interior of walls) or if willing to sacrifice most of the charm, use pre-treated wood products.

Thought I had a photo of the wood shed, but apparently not...
10-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #7375
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by taks Quote
couple more at sunset last week

Very nice first sunset shot you have there. I really like the different color hue banding.
10-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #7376
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Very nice first sunset shot you have there. I really like the different color hue banding.
I appreciate the comment. Thank you Drilline
10-03-2016, 01:10 PM - 3 Likes   #7377
Pentaxian

10-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #7378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
That is one super-cool eye-stopper, and eye-popper
10-04-2016, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #7379

I've been mulling over the idea of selling my K-3 to fund a Fuji XT-2. Everytime I think I should, I take the K-3 out, take some pictures and fall in love again. Yes, I'm having bad gas right now.

10-04-2016, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #7380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Step down to the beach at North Shelly Beach on the Central Coast of NSW. Pentax K-3 and SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL[IF] DC WR.