Show Printable Version 16943 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #7546
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adsouza Quote
Love this shot!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
What program are you stitching with? I've done some stitching with Hugin. I had some good success with it, but lately not so much, I couldn't quite tell if it was my technique or later versions of it have regressed a bit.

That photo really has a "large format" projection to it.
I use APG from Kolor. Hugin is not bad but the APG is better. I do not know about your technique but I always tried to use lenses with less distortions and not wider than 35mm if I will stitch (on APS-C sensor). Depending on scenery I might use 50mm or 70mm and even go longer if it is far away vista. I had also good results with Photoshop but still prefer APG and IMHO it is unbeatable. Also I do not use Lightroom if I PP fro stitching. I use Adobe Bridge and PS. It does better job in my opinion.

I also used a macro rail before I lost it... Right now I am looking for a geared head (this is expensive) and need L-Plate for K-3 as well as new solid macro rail.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask or PM me. Hope this helped a bit!

11-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #7547

Spent a couple of weeks in South Dakota chasing pheasants with the pup and used the opportunity to play with the FA 43mm. Struggle with this lens but slowly getting to know it better, still have a ways to go but liking the journey more lately.

11-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #7548
Forum Member

Thank you so much ivanvernon and gaweidert! That is nice to hear, appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Three wonderful shots!
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Moto Fotoe

That is the best super moon photo I have seen. Great job.
11-19-2016, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #7549
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cold Iron Quote
Spent a couple of weeks in South Dakota chasing pheasants with the pup and used the opportunity to play with the FA 43mm. Struggle with this lens but slowly getting to know it better, still have a ways to go but liking the journey more lately.
Nice shot. Watching a good dog work a field looking for pheasants is about as good as it gets. And eating the pheasants is not bad either.

11-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #7550

Nice shot. Watching a good dog work a field looking for pheasants is about as good as it gets. And eating the pheasants is not bad either.
Thank you and you are correct! The black nosed Toller in my avatar came from Rochester, NY 13 years ago. The young pup in the picture came from ND. A handful of us who are retired military get together on the plains each year to hunt and it is the company that is great even if the bird numbers are down. Dinner consists of such things as woodcock drummies and breast, boned ruff grouse in seasoning, marinated antelope steaks and whitetail backstraps, bacon wrapped duck, smoked boston butt, of course pheasant, etc. We don't eat too badly and have a wine cooler in the house for keeping dinner beverages.

A couple of friends after the picture of the dog, ISO is high at 3200 and lacks the sharpness of many others on here that post the same ISO, haven't figured that out yet.
11-19-2016, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #7551
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
A couple of friends after the picture of the dog, ISO is high at 3200 and lacks the sharpness of many others on here that post the same ISO, haven't figured that out yet.
Lots of bright sky behind your subject with little forward lighting makes for a big difference in dynamic range. You could have captured that dynamic range a bit easier using the K-3's HDR functions, or using the pop-up flash for a touch of fill. Still, I think this is a pretty darn good shot given the lighting conditions!
11-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #7552
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is your friend starting to eat the pheasant tail-feathers first before it's even cooked?

11-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #7553

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Lots of bright sky behind your subject with little forward lighting makes for a big difference in dynamic range. You could have captured that dynamic range a bit easier using the K-3's HDR functions, or using the pop-up flash for a touch of fill. Still, I think this is a pretty darn good shot given the lighting conditions!
Thank you! I have played around a bit with off camera and on camera flash fill and manual settings, duh I can't believe I didn't think to use the on board flash. Too late now but lesson learned. Perfect that is what I should have done. Early HDR pics kind of turned me off to it but there are plenty of examples of well executed HDR on this thread alone and I really need to explore it more. Thank you once again!

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Is your friend starting to eat the pheasant tail-feathers first before it's even cooked?
The wind never stops on the prairie, well once they cut the corn and sunflowers between here and the Rockies anyhow The gentleman in the back is a retired Air Force Pilot so he might eat one tail first, then again the Navy Captain just might also...
11-19-2016, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #7554
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you and you are correct! The black nosed Toller in my avatar came from Rochester, NY 13 years ago.
I live in the burbs just south of Rochester.
11-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #7555

I live in the burbs just south of Rochester.
Cayuga Kennels, LeAnn has a cabin on the shore of Cayuga Lake and named her kennel after Lake Cayuga. Cayuga creek that runs out of the Lake comes through Ithaca and also runs near the High School I graduated from, had our 40th reunion this year. In Oct. which is hunting season for Bonasa umbellus (ruffed grouse) for me on the North Shore of Lake Superior near the Canadian border so that was my priority instead. It is only appropriate that I carry an Ithaca in pursuit of the King of the deep woods. 1949 16 ga. that I refinished the wood on this summer.

With DA* 16-50

But I also like and shoot my Italian guns and carry them as much or more. It was dark when I got back to the truck this outing and had to use the headlights to get the camera to focus, and also used the on board flash. In the rain, got to love Pentax cameras when the elements are less than perfect.

A rare red or cinnamon phased ruff, put a skid plate on the dog in the woods to protect his chest from puncture wounds from sticks as he runs so hard. With one of my F.A.I.R. AKA I. Rizzini guns in 16 ga. I like shotguns that shoot purple shells
11-20-2016, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #7556
Forum Member

Which one should I keep? 1st or 2nd?

11-20-2016, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #7557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by radeon7750 Quote
Which one should I keep? 1st or 2nd?
I would go for the slightly darker version with its more saturated colors.
11-20-2016, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #7558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree.
11-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #7559
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
from radeon7750 "Which one should I keep? 1st or 2nd?"
I would go for the slightly darker version with its more saturated colors.
I sort of agree and think there should be a 1/3 to 1/2 stop more exposure from the darker image. But more important, how many threads have we seen where somebody feels their Pentax underexposes? Could this be one of those examples of why? Perhaps Pentax engineers found that people more often picked the deeper more saturated image over a more high-key version?
11-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #7560
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I sort of agree and think there should be a 1/3 to 1/2 stop more exposure from the darker image. But more important, how many threads have we seen where somebody feels their Pentax underexposes? Could this be one of those examples of why? Perhaps Pentax engineers found that people more often picked the deeper more saturated image over a more high-key version?
On balance I'd much rather have slight underexposure. I have much more success pulling color and detail from shadows than from washed-out bright areas.