Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm waiting for the 18-35/1.8 in K mount too, but see no good reason for upgrade to K-3 so far, since I use AF-S almost exclusively and my K-5IIs is really great in it. What I need the most is the same shadows latitude as I have with the K-5/K-5IIs and the K-3 will definitely not give me that.

11-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
Hi wired how do you rate the difference in iq between k3 and d800, is it close call dof aside? I have tried omd em5, it is a few classes below k5iis. The colour depth is simply not there. Thanks.

Once I can sit down and actually look at the K3 files in lightroom I'll post my findings. I'm participating in the "single in" challenges here and on Nikonforums.com using both cameras and the 50mm Zeiss (nikon) and 43mm Limited. So it should be a pretty good run for the money. Both lenses are soft around the edges but tack sharp dead center and got beautiful color.

I don't expect the K3 to match or beat D800 color depth, SNR, or dynamic range. But.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the biggest reasons to get K3 are non-sensor related -- faster processing, faster auto focus, etc. On the other hand, those who have shot with the D7100 do say that there is significant improvement in detail in low iso situations, allowing for larger print sizes or, more cropping.
This is exactly what I like about the K3. The sensor is nice for cropping sure, but its the speed of the camera and the new options I love!

I was setup for some shots last night and just swapped cameras back and forth. I was using live view, and the K3 was significantly faster than the D800 for processing shots and for lag between shots. The difference here is huge.

I'm really excited to mess with the drive modes later today.
11-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Day two/Three

life has been a nightmare, and all I want to do is take pictures. between work, my kid, my wife, and my band it seems as though there is no time for shutter time. Well, I take what I can get and went for a few snaps on my commute. Even as I write this I'm using the interval movie mode out my window to record the snow fall so that this camera is getting some action! I'll be at 600 actuations on this camera before the sun is up!

I haven't installed Silkypix yet so I have no idea how my Trick or Treating photos came out, but I did take some shots down at the river valley yesterday and today in DNG format. Just some quick photos with the time that I have. I hope to get something more solid as the weekend rolls on by.

The AF is pretty quick and doesn't really hunt at all. I got it to go a little wacko with the DA*55mm f1.4 tonight, but that lens has always given me issues when I need infinity focus and I use AF instead of just putting it there manually. The FA43 seems to render colors even better on the K3 than on the K5. I loved it on the K5, but found myself upping the contrast quite a bit. On the K3 I don't find the need to up contrast, or sharpness in LR4 for that matter at all. In fact I backed it off a bit.

theres two images for now.