Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 the first few hours....snappy

Mine showed up as well today! I'm impressed us Canadian's got them so quickly... There will be a used K5 and a 50mm DFA Macro available in a local used section soon... (I want the 100mm Macro and 35mm Macro instead)

I'm impressed... I've only had it for a few hours, and I took it tick or treating with my nieces out in the falling light, so I can't really give a full observation... but lets start somewhere!

First off, the extra weight is noticeable. Especially after a 2.5 hour walk in the brisk evening with 35kph winds. Even with only a DA15 f4 Limited mounted up, you can feel the weight after hour two for sure. The extra weight is worth it through for the extras put inside. I'm sure some of this weight is for the build quality as well. Having my stable full with a pair of K5, D800, OMD EM5, Q, and Q7...and a D600 which has left the stable... I can say the K3 is the best built one out of all of them. Sure many will scoff at me saying it's built better than the D800 which has a fantastic quality too it....until the battery door falls off. I don't fear that happening on the K5.

All the buttons feel incredibly solid and there is no fear that I'm going to loose a lens release button a year from now.

The overall feel of the camera is very K5, you will feel right at home, just some minor tweaks. The AF button is in a much nicer spot, I love it there. I constantly use the AF button style for auto-focus where I turn of AF on half shutter, so I really like this change. The AF select button is also a nice addition as I didn't much enjoy the press and hold OK to swap between modes. The new dial pad is well...perfect. The only places where buttons fall down for me is that we got a AF mode button thats above the switch when I think it should be integrated into the switch, the Live View button is hard to operate one handed (thumb is barely long enough to reach it), and I wish one could hold down the flash release button and scroll a wheel to get different flash modes/settings. But beggers can't be choosers.

The best thing though... it's snappy. Very snappy.

Not only does the shutter have this beautiful metallic sliding click sound too it, but it's also quiet, and to be honest.....it has to be the best shutter sound this side of a Pentax 645. I love it! I love it so much that I just sat there in hi-drive mode shooting RAW format and let it go until the buffer said no... which was quite a while. I gave up counting after 50 frames and the buffer/write speeds were still keeping up...with a slower card to boot. 25-30 frames or so is where the drop off became noticeable.

Live view.... I really like it on this camera. This is the second best live view I've used. Only the OMD EM5 beats it...and thats because of the touch tilty screen. But compared to the rest.... it's snappy. There is very little processing time for the camera to get Live View going, at least twice as fast as the K5. Then there is the lag between shots in live view...which is almost none (unlike the few seconds on K5). This is amazing. You can actually use hi-drive mode in live view and keep up! I used it all night!

Processing times are very fast actually. Pretty much instant.

So how are the images?

I dont know... when I switched to RAW from jpg... I forgot to choose DNG instead of PEF. and my lightroom is not liking PEF files tonight.

However, from what I could see on the back.... lovely. I was using the multi-white balance setting (which I like that you can set to let the camera do the magic in auto, but if you select a mode, like cloudy for example, it will not do the multi-white balance trick) and was quite impressed with how it handled different bulb types along the streets. Noise was well handled, and I pushed it up to 3200 and was happy with what I could see on the back screen. We will see what happens on the monitor though.

One amazing thing... the SR is improved. There is no question about that. I shot hand held, a full second, in live view, and no blur that I could see while reviewing the rear screen... I cant' do that with the K5. Especially when I'm cold.

I'll be taking it for another spin tomorrow after work. This time I'll make sure the camera is setup properly.

10-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'll have mine hopefully saturday, but a question about the SR.

I found that the K-5 SR in reactive shooting situations gave me SR induced blur quite often. Not waiting till it was ready, the thing taking time to recalibrate after panning or movement, etc. It was slow and I seemed to catch it mid waking up regularly. I turned it off most of the time. How is the new one?
10-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Snappy camera, happy snapper - got it!

I agree the AF button was a bit crowded in its former spot, and also saddened by the metering rearrangement. Some day I will be able to know this personally, perhaps!
10-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I forgot to choose DNG instead of PEF. and my lightroom is not liking PEF files tonight.
Use the Pentax (Silkypix) software that came with the camera to convert it to DNG.

10-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm impressed! I would love to see that 1 second hand held shot. That would be awesome!
10-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicely done. Thanks for the report. Sounds like a camera that even a K-5 II owner could find good reason to upgrade to...
10-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Use the Pentax (Silkypix) software that came with the camera to convert it to DNG.
Theres something in the box other than a camera and a battery? Maybe I need to go back and look at all the extra padding.... maybe I'll find said software then

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I'll have mine hopefully saturday, but a question about the SR.

I found that the K-5 SR in reactive shooting situations gave me SR induced blur quite often. Not waiting till it was ready, the thing taking time to recalibrate after panning or movement, etc. It was slow and I seemed to catch it mid waking up regularly. I turned it off most of the time. How is the new one?
I found similar scenarios with the SR on the K5 with it having issues if you were moving while shooting. While I don't know how thats been affected on the K3 or not, I do know that I got a least a stop and a half more out of my shutter when trying to take the shot. Coupled with two stops better noise in high iso (in my opinion... I never broke 800 on the K5, I don't mind 3200 on the K3) I think we can shoot in some pretty low light now. That being said... I'm not saying there is less noise at 3200 on K3 than 800 on K5, nor am I saying they are equal. what I am saying is that the noise offends me less on the K3 at 3200.

10-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think I understand why the K-3 build quality feels solid:

I'm not sure whether there is any more metal in there than in a K-5, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was.
10-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think I understand why the K-3 build quality feels solid:
Crikey, it looks like a Terminator when the skin's removed. I bet it's got some evil red eyes there somewhere.
Interesting reading Mr. Wired. It looks like a winner.

Regards
11-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Luke, I love it - and I'm having a good Chuckle... two of you now - enjoying the shooting experience, but cannot get pictures out of the darn thing

I'll be watching when you post 'em up.
11-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone play with the neat new drive modes? I'll have photos when I have a chance to get home!

11-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine showed up as well today! I'm impressed us Canadian's got them so quickly... There will be a used K5 and a 50mm DFA Macro available in a local used section soon... (I want the 100mm Macro and 35mm Macro instead)

I'm impressed... I've only had it for a few hours, and I took it tick or treating with my nieces out in the falling light, so I can't really give a full observation... but lets start somewhere!

First off, the extra weight is noticeable. Especially after a 2.5 hour walk in the brisk evening with 35kph winds. Even with only a DA15 f4 Limited mounted up, you can feel the weight after hour two for sure. The extra weight is worth it through for the extras put inside. I'm sure some of this weight is for the build quality as well. Having my stable full with a pair of K5, D800, OMD EM5, Q, and Q7...and a D600 which has left the stable... I can say the K3 is the best built one out of all of them. Sure many will scoff at me saying it's built better than the D800 which has a fantastic quality too it....until the battery door falls off. I don't fear that happening on the K5.

All the buttons feel incredibly solid and there is no fear that I'm going to loose a lens release button a year from now.

The overall feel of the camera is very K5, you will feel right at home, just some minor tweaks. The AF button is in a much nicer spot, I love it there. I constantly use the AF button style for auto-focus where I turn of AF on half shutter, so I really like this change. The AF select button is also a nice addition as I didn't much enjoy the press and hold OK to swap between modes. The new dial pad is well...perfect. The only places where buttons fall down for me is that we got a AF mode button thats above the switch when I think it should be integrated into the switch, the Live View button is hard to operate one handed (thumb is barely long enough to reach it), and I wish one could hold down the flash release button and scroll a wheel to get different flash modes/settings. But beggers can't be choosers.

The best thing though... it's snappy. Very snappy.

Not only does the shutter have this beautiful metallic sliding click sound too it, but it's also quiet, and to be honest.....it has to be the best shutter sound this side of a Pentax 645. I love it! I love it so much that I just sat there in hi-drive mode shooting RAW format and let it go until the buffer said no... which was quite a while. I gave up counting after 50 frames and the buffer/write speeds were still keeping up...with a slower card to boot. 25-30 frames or so is where the drop off became noticeable.

Live view.... I really like it on this camera. This is the second best live view I've used. Only the OMD EM5 beats it...and thats because of the touch tilty screen. But compared to the rest.... it's snappy. There is very little processing time for the camera to get Live View going, at least twice as fast as the K5. Then there is the lag between shots in live view...which is almost none (unlike the few seconds on K5). This is amazing. You can actually use hi-drive mode in live view and keep up! I used it all night!

Processing times are very fast actually. Pretty much instant.

So how are the images?

I dont know... when I switched to RAW from jpg... I forgot to choose DNG instead of PEF. and my lightroom is not liking PEF files tonight.

However, from what I could see on the back.... lovely. I was using the multi-white balance setting (which I like that you can set to let the camera do the magic in auto, but if you select a mode, like cloudy for example, it will not do the multi-white balance trick) and was quite impressed with how it handled different bulb types along the streets. Noise was well handled, and I pushed it up to 3200 and was happy with what I could see on the back screen. We will see what happens on the monitor though.

One amazing thing... the SR is improved. There is no question about that. I shot hand held, a full second, in live view, and no blur that I could see while reviewing the rear screen... I cant' do that with the K5. Especially when I'm cold.

I'll be taking it for another spin tomorrow after work. This time I'll make sure the camera is setup properly.
Congrats on the new acquisition !
Don't forget to post some pics when you have the chance .... here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-post-here.html

Cheers!

JP
11-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I never broke 800 on the K5, I don't mind 3200 on the K3) I think we can shoot in some pretty low light now. That being said... I'm not saying there is less noise at 3200 on K3 than 800 on K5, nor am I saying they are equal. what I am saying is that the noise offends me less on the K3 at 3200.
I use ISO3200-6400 on my K-5 pretty often and up to ISO12800 on my K-5IIs, but from what I've seen so far K-3 is slightly worse than both of them (looking at the pixel level).
11-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Walked into the local London Drugs this afternoon and asked the photo manager if she had any K-3s in yet. She said, "Yep. Sold one this morning." After I got my jaw off the floor, I ordered mine and it will be in Monday afternoon. The grips haven't made it yet so that will be later. Will add some images to jpzk's thread when I get it up and running. Can't believe we Canucks are getting these so quickly.

Jack
11-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
I use ISO3200-6400 on my K-5 pretty often and up to ISO12800 on my K-5IIs, but from what I've seen so far K-3 is slightly worse than both of them (looking at the pixel level).

I thought this may be of interest to you from this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-post-here-3.html Post No. 32

Don't overdo the NR based on 100% views

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW, I don't think people should be concerned about the 'more noise' the K-3 might show at 100% compared to the K-5. Just wanted to link to this post in this thread - basically, when printed or displayed at the same sizes as the K-5, more MP can work as an advantage and compensate for noise during a downsampling routine, like sending to a printer driver or exporting with LR.