Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 Focus Peaking During Video?

So I received the K3 yesterday but can't see that focus peaking is available in video. I tried some short movies and FP does not seem to be available. Anyone verify this?

Dale

11-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
So I received the K3 yesterday but can't see that focus peaking is available in video. I tried some short movies and FP does not seem to be available. Anyone verify this?

Dale
I played with it in store and can confirm with you it is avail in video. Flip switch to video and press the info button. It's one of the options that come up.
11-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are correct, I can see it now. This should be great for using some old lenses for video such as the 50 f1.2.

Dake

11-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Please post your impressions of how well the focus peaking works during video, if you get a chance. TIA!
11-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Please post your impressions of how well the focus peaking works during video, if you get a chance. TIA!
I Have no experience with focus peaking as it's not avail on any of the camera bodies I own. That said I thought it works really well. I still waiting for my preorder to come in. A different store got a few in so I went in just to play with it.
11-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry, I meant to direct my question to the OP, as he experiments with his K-3.

11-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Tanzer:

Yes in playing around with video tonight the focus peaking does work; it is not as evident as during stills but still works. The 3.2" screen on the K3 also helps. Possibly I will use a screen shade to see clearly when doing videos. This is a neat feature and needed since AF doesn't seem to be available during video.

Dale
11-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks Dale! I've played around (in the showroom) with Sony's peaking in their alpha and nex series cameras, and theirs is supposed to be one of the best implementations. One thing I wasn't impressed with is the latency. Focus peaking requires an algorithm to go through the image and locate points of high contrast, and once you start moving the camera (or the subject starts moving), the Sony cameras can't always keep up -- the peaking display just fades away until you our your subject stops moving and the camera "reacquires" the focus peaking. I'd suspect this is the same of many implementations, but hopefully Pentax' is at least as good as everyone else's.
11-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

This is a neat feature and needed since AF doesn't seem to be available during video.
I've read elsewhere that AF is available during video. It is (probably deliberately) slow but available.

Have you tried using the manual?
11-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Focus peaking requires an algorithm to go through the image and locate points of high contrast, and once you start moving the camera (or the subject starts moving), the Sony cameras can't always keep up...
It appears to me that this is not an issue of "not keeping up", but that once you start moving the camera that you create image blur.

Hence, focus peaking cannot report any areas in focus anymore, because the whole image is blurred. Only after you stop moving the camera, it is possible for some areas of the images to assume critical sharpness again.
11-02-2013, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I've read elsewhere that AF is available during video. It is (probably deliberately) slow but available.
It is available (press and hold the AF button, unless you have it set to "cancel AF"), and it's slooow, regardless of lens type (screwdrive, SDM, HSM). It is there, though...
11-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You generally don't want to use AF in video anyways....do focus pulls manually...
11-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Tanzer:

Yes in playing around with video tonight the focus peaking does work; it is not as evident as during stills but still works. The 3.2" screen on the K3 also helps. Possibly I will use a screen shade to see clearly when doing videos. This is a neat feature and needed since AF doesn't seem to be available during video.

Dale
I almost forgot about this thread. So based on other reports, I believe the focus peaking is only available at the start of video recording, but is not available once video recording is in progress. Same as the Q, K-01, and K-30/50.

11-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I can't see any normal AF or AF peaking during video recording . K-3 does only AF at some first seconds, then no more . When I'm moving to another subject , image is blurred . During video recording , I press AF button , the camera does focusing in and out few times in order to get a sharp image !

It will not be practical to use video clips with focusing in and out few times before stopping at sharp image .
Could any K-3 users please to confirm this ?