Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Noisy shutter (humming sound) in Bulb mode? Anyone?

I noticed that my K-3 produces a humming noise, maybe more like an electric motor turning slowly, when in Bulb mode (or any long exposure time).

At first I thought it could be the SR mechanism, but I turned it off and it was still humming.

When I move the camera during exposure it seems to change the sound a bit.

It does occur during liveview or movie mode but is much less noticeable.

Any feedback from the other owners is appreciated!

11-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe you turned on the AA filter?
11-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that's all the electronics around the sensor. All camera's have that sound, some just more than others. It is normal, so nothing to worry about
11-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That sound thing also occurs in my K-7 when shooting long exposure and LV, it's normal.

11-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not sure about electronics noise, My K200D has never made a single noise during bulb mode exposures...

Maybe it'll be easier if you can hear it:

11-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

try turning off the AA filter and see if it's still there.
11-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I noticed that my K-3 produces a humming noise, maybe more like an electric motor turning slowly, when in Bulb mode (or any long exposure time).

At first I thought it could be the SR mechanism, but I turned it off and it was still humming.

When I move the camera during exposure it seems to change the sound a bit.

It does occur during liveview or movie mode but is much less noticeable.

Any feedback from the other owners is appreciated!
It the SR on or off the sensor has to be held in the central position you can hear the coils humming.
All Pentax IBIs cameras do it as the sensor hangs loose (you can rattle it) if no charge is applied.

As against the Sony and I beliive Olympus that use fixed steppers so they don't need to 'hold' the sensor.

Advantage Pentax as rotational correction is possible but at the cost of slightly more power drain.
11-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
It the SR on or off the sensor has to be held in the central position you can hear the coils humming.
All Pentax IBIs cameras do it as the sensor hangs loose (you can rattle it) if no charge is applied.

As against the Sony and I beliive Olympus that use fixed steppers so they don't need to 'hold' the sensor.

Advantage Pentax as rotational correction is possible but at the cost of slightly more power drain.
So what you're saying is that the IBIS is always "Floating" even if it's not correcting. It wasn't the case with older bodies (at least not my K200D).

That's an explanation that I could buy and to tell you the truth, the Q makes the same humming noise when IBIS is set to "always on".

Ok, unless there are opposing opinions, I'll be more confortable now

Might only be the bad thing to being on a 5 years lifecycle...things evolve so much...

11-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same thing with my K-5 and my K200D, although much less audible with the K200D. I have never been concerned about that - and being an astrophotographer, I use bulb mode a LOT. Remember that there is electronics at work, and I tend to believe that what I hear is related to the fact that a constant force is required to keep the shutter and diaphragm open.
11-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think its the AA filter. Try setting to AA0 and I think it won;t make that noise any more.

The sound in that recording is about 310Hz. I read somewhere that it operates at 500Hz, but it is quite possible that at lower shutter speeds it would operate at lower frequency to reduce power consumption and possibly also reduce the likelyhood of sensor drift.
11-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Col
Veteran Member

It's humming as its happy. Obviously likes how you're treating it.

Though I hadn't considered AA simulation running for extended bulb exposures.
11-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Never heard that on my K200D and now thinking of it, neither on my K-01. Anyways it seems to be normal so I am not worried anymore.
11-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And for the record AA sim is off.
11-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

And for the record AA sim is off.
Since it is evidently not the AA filter it seems a bit odd to me that it should be so loud. Typically any electronics and also the current supplying holding coils would be at a very high frequency, even ultrasonic, so unless there is something that is meant to oscillate mechanically at low frequency I would see no place for such a sound. The high frequencies are not so much to make them inaudible as to keep the electronics compact.

@mamethot, when you do switch on the AA does the sound change? I ask just in case it is somehow stuck in the on position even though switched off in the menu.

This is making me curious as it is quite contrary to what I expect. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to tell first hand for some time to come as I haven't yet managed to even order one, let alone receive it.

So can anyone else lucky enough to have a K-3 at hand let us know if theirs also makes this same sound?
11-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It is the SR.
All my SR-equipped cameras made noise during exposure, even with SR "off" - this was explained already. You'll need a quiet environment and reasonably good hearing to notice it, since it's faint.
The K-3... well, as Imaging Resource discovered, the AA filter (which is a SR mode, as we know) adds to that noise. The camera being metal doesn't help in absorbing it.