Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hooray for smaller focus points!

I just got my K-3 this morning. I am very happy to report that the focus points are now much smaller. This used to screw me up when trying to focus on a model's eye and I'd get focus on the nose or something else. Or the AF would pick up a high contrast background behind the subject.

It's hard to describe the size of the focus points, but I can say this. I set the camera to center point focus. I had a small subject with a relatively large distance to the background behind it. I focused on the subject with the center point, then slowly moved the camera away and kept re-focusing until it locked on the background instead. The focus points are now so small that the focus shifted to the background before the subject even cleared the central circular area of the viewfinder!

11-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I just got my K-3 this morning. I am very happy to report that the focus points are now much smaller. This used to screw me up when trying to focus on a model's eye and I'd get focus on the nose or something else. Or the AF would pick up a high contrast background behind the subject.

It's hard to describe the size of the focus points, but I can say this. I set the camera to center point focus. I had a small subject with a relatively large distance to the background behind it. I focused on the subject with the center point, then slowly moved the camera away and kept re-focusing until it locked on the background instead. The focus points are now so small that the focus shifted to the background before the subject even cleared the central circular area of the viewfinder!
Considering that we now have 25 points in the same space that we used to have 9, they've got to be a lot smaller. Thanks for sharing your positive experience with the AF system!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote

Post any such pictures here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-post-here.html

This will appeal to a lot of folks !

JP
11-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you use Expanded Area AF and focus on the eye then your aim changes a little, does the AF follow the eye?

11-01-2013, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
If you use Expanded Area AF and focus on the eye then your aim changes a little, does the AF follow the eye?
It does, but it's not totally reliable. It sometimes picks a weird point if the light is low. In good light, it works pretty decently.
11-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Good news, and great to hear.

Thanks for sharing.