Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New K3 vs K5ii high iso RAW tests

This was very interesting, I thought, and well worth a plug on this site.

Pentax ISO tests

QuoteQuote:
I think the prints show slightly more noise from the K-3 than from the K-5IIs, but not a lot more. I also think the K-5IIs noise is slightly cleaner (which perhaps means less colour noise), but not a lot of difference. There may be a trace of banding from the K-5IIs at the highest ISO. I'll get a second opinion.

Imaging Resource

Why doesn't this agree with my prints from the Imaging Resource web site?

I don't know. But in that case I had got a second opinion, and agreement that my prints showed what I stated above. The prints from the DNGs from the Imaging Resource web site simply don't tell the same story as the prints from own tests. My tests were carried out at nearly the same time for both cameras. The Imaging Resource tests were done at different times for the two cameras, and some key factors may have changed.

11-02-2013, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #2

yes, but look at the exif data, I believe the test is flawed. I think he had it on program or aperture priority. Although they are both set to the same Fstop, f5.6 each of the shots are at different shutter speeds.

K3 - iso 100 = 3 seconds, iso 6400 = 1/20th, and iso 51200 = 1/180th

K5IIs iso 100= 4 seconds, iso 6400 = 1/15th and iso 51200 = 1/125th

So, this says to me that the K3 was slightly under exposed compared to the K5IIs, at high ISO if we under expose we get more noise.

Les
11-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
yes, but look at the exif data, I believe the test is flawed. I think he had it on program or aperture priority. Although they are both set to the same Fstop, f5.6 each of the shots are at different shutter speeds.

K3 - iso 100 = 3 seconds, iso 6400 = 1/20th, and iso 51200 = 1/180th

K5IIs iso 100= 4 seconds, iso 6400 = 1/15th and iso 51200 = 1/125th

So, this says to me that the K3 was slightly under exposed compared to the K5IIs, at high ISO if we under expose we get more noise.

Les
Mystery solved. Good job.
11-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
So if the K-3 shots were underexposed and hence noisier than they needed to be, it's actually better compared with the K-5 than his results suggest?

I think Barry's main point is that his results show the K-3 in better light WRT the K-5 than the results recently published at Imaging Resource. It's a very worthwhile contribution and shows that any conclusions about the K-3 high ISO performance are still somewhat tentative. Despite Imaging Resource's reputation.
Chris, Berry was wondering why his results were different, I was just pointing out that his test may be flawed. the main thing it showed was that the new metering system is having it slightly under expose compared to the K5IIs.

If he wants to verify that his results are truly different than IR's he should retest with both camera's in manual mode and have all settings identical.

11-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Even if Barry's test was flawed, it's a flaw that would make the K-3 result noisier than it needed to be.

If I read it right, the surprising result he was commenting on was his finding that:

- whereas the IR result was that the K-3 images were much noisier than the K-5's,
- BP's result was that the K-3 images were only slightly noisier.

Flawed or not, if you're suggesting that BP's K-3 image was underexposed, it should have been noisier.

Therefore if it had been correctly exposed, it should have been even less noisy, in other words, even more different from IR's result.

AIUI, it's the fact that this finding contradicts IR's result that's interesting,

In any case, I'm not sure it follows that keeping the exposure the same between the two cameras is the right way of ensuring consistency. I don't think we know enough yet about either the respective metering systems, or sensor responses to make that judgement.

I suspect that the flaw, if there is one, is in printing the K-5 and K-3 images at the same size. Downsampling an image reduces noise anyway, so it may be this that makes the noise levels similar in the two (printed) images.

Even if this is true, the implication is that at a given reproduction size, the K-3 images are not significantly worse, even if they are worse in a per-pixel comparison. With all the other advantages of the K-3 (including but obviously not limited to faster, more accurate AF and more detail from more MP), it may yet be that the overall IQ is better.

Last edited by ChrisA; 11-02-2013 at 03:57 PM.
11-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Coming from the K-5 I can say that even if the K-5 has a slight advantage in high ISO range - which I'm not yet sure it does - the K-3 is leaps ahead in its ability to nail focus in low light. So that's something to consider: it may be better to have 97 percent of the dynamic range, and sharp focus where you want it. That's certainly how I'm feeling after a couple days of use.

The K-3 is really remarkable at seeing in the dark. I was out walking with it last night, giving it some stress testing, and kept being amazed. All the more important since it's harder to manual focus in low light. (But I haven't tried the K-5ii, so don't know how that system compares.)

Jos
11-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hmm, Pentax K-5 from 2010 continue to beat K-5ii and K-3
11-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, ISO 51200 on both cameras looks like iso3200 on my K-7 and iso1000 on my K10d. So it's splitting hairs which is better from my humble perspective.

11-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by PedroCosta Quote
hmm, Pentax K-5 from 2010 continue to beat K-5ii and K-3
I would guess that it would depend on what metrics you are measuring them. Current price and maybe high ISO noise (I'm not fully convinced of that), but if you look at low light focus, focus tracking, Mega pixel, overall resolution (I guess that could be mega pixel), Video capabilities, AA filter on/off, 8.3 fps, frame buffer size, ect . . .

It really comes down to what you want in a camera. I personally have not upgraded since my K7, now the technology has improved enough that I'm ready. If I had upgraded to the K5II/K5IIs or even the K5 I don't know that I would be buying the K3. I didn't so this one is the one for me.