Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I know there is a new grip, but does that really means the BG4 grip won't fit and/or work?
There is a guy on DPR who has just hacked up a 3rd party k-5 grip and got it to work. You might look over there for some info. It involved removing one of the pins, and maybe switching some of the buttons around too, since the green button for example is in a different position on the BG-5 compared to the BG-4. Otherwise everything worked.

Last edited by rawr; 11-03-2013 at 05:50 AM.
11-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
does that really means the BG4 grip won't fit and/or work?
No, it wont work on the K3. there are physical differences in the camera that have to be taken into account with the new grip.
11-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
Pentaxian

keep the 10. the ccd sensor offers a point of difference in rendering and tones imo, and you will probably never see one in a pentax body ever again.
11-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
there are physical differences in the camera that have to be taken into account with the new grip.
Apparently not very substantial differences. awaldram over at DPR only wrenched one metal body alignment pin out of a clone BG-4 and it mated fine to the K-3. He even has pix.

11-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
keep the 10. the ccd sensor offers a point of difference in rendering and tones imo, and you will probably never see one in a pentax body ever again.
+1 this!
11-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems we always have this dilemma with new cameras. In general I agree with those who say to sell both unless you have a specific use for one of the old cameras. Otherwise they just sit unused like my MX which I will not sell for sentimental reasons.
11-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Apparently not very substantial differences. awaldram over at DPR only wrenched one metal body alignment pin out of a clone BG-4 and it mated fine to the K-3. He even has pix.
Well, than the choice is easy, spending an other 200 dollars or removing a pin of the old grip.

DIY K3 Battery grip: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

11-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is great. The camera has been available for three days and the DIYers are already at work making it better/cheaper. I love this stuff.
11-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Keep them all, sell a kidney, buy lots of stuff with the cash from your organs
Or this.

11-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #25

Original Poster
After reading the feedback plus throwing my ideas into the mix I'm thinking that keeping the K10D body is the way to got.

I would then sell the K-5 after I get the viewfinder repaired. I'll sell the K-5 with the battery and charger, the owners manual, strap and the kit lens I got with the K10D.

I think I'd like the K-3 with a WR lens to compliment the camera, even though 90% of the time I use the primes. I may consider a WR lens with a wide zoom range or maybe one that is more suitable to work in. Though in reality the standard kit range may be just fine.

Thanks so far for your suggestions.
11-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
ohh yeah I'm sure people are just so desperate to void their warranties to do this. Not only on the Grip but on the camera as well.
11-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
ohh yeah I'm sure people are just so desperate to void their warranties to do this. Not only on the Grip but on the camera as well.
Yeah, even the guy that did it said he wouldn't do it to an actual DBG-4, only a knock-off. The fit is close, but not close enough to really look right, IMO. After spending $1300 on the body, I'm not about to cheap out and do something like that. My grip order will be left standing and I'm sure I'll get it soon enough, though it will seem strange to me to use a Pentax camera without a grip, other than a K-01. My K-3 is due tomorrow.
11-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yeah, even the guy that did it said he wouldn't do it to an actual DBG-4, only a knock-off. The fit is close, but not close enough to really look right, IMO. After spending $1300 on the body, I'm not about to cheap out and do something like that. My grip order will be left standing and I'm sure I'll get it soon enough, though it will seem strange to me to use a Pentax camera without a grip, other than a K-01. My K-3 is due tomorrow.
Yeah, and if that guy ever has any trouble with his K-3 and sends it on for warranty service and mentions to Pentax that he used a hacked grip, I could see Pentax denying the warranty claim. Not worth it IMO.
11-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yeah, and if that guy ever has any trouble with his K-3 and sends it on for warranty service and mentions to Pentax that he used a hacked grip, I could see Pentax denying the warranty claim. Not worth it IMO.
Good point...

Guess your line of thinking could go for all non-branded items attached to a branded camera body (grip, lens, flash, battery, battery charger, etc.)... eh?

Yep, perhaps the use of third party attachments may poof the warranty. Anything is possible...

Cheers... M
11-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Guess your line of thinking could go for all non-branded items attached to a branded camera body (grip, lens, flash, battery, battery charger, etc.)... eh?
You jest, I assume?