Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
k3 interval shooting = great noise reduction

Just got my k3 tonight and was putting it threw some tests. I was trying some high iso tests and playing with the interval shooting. I found that if you shoot a single shot at 12800 and then compare it to a 12800 interval of 8 shots set to average, the noise reduction is incredible. Way better then using in camera noise reduction. Try it at 52,000 and results were even more amazing. Could pull a much cleaner image this way then trying to use in camera noise reduction or Lightroom noise reduction. The image does end up a hair softer though but that's at 200 zoom. Tried the test at 2000 iso and it works there too but Lightroom can easily handle that noise almost as well. But interval and Lightroom is a great combination.

Anyone else confirm tried this? I tried a 19 shot average but at some point the averaging doesn't improve it any more. I think it's somewhere between 6-9 shots seems to provide the best results. Attached is a 12,800 with some Lightroom sharpening and a bit of noise reduction.

Wayne

Attached Images

11-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks good.
I seem to of read the same figures on the theoretical frame limit(8) for improvements.
Having said that, multi-frame noise reduction works very well, though I have yet to find a practical use for it against that of a slower shutter and lower ISO myself.
11-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Looks good.
I seem to of read the same figures on the theoretical frame limit(8) for improvements.
Having said that, multi-frame noise reduction works very well, though I have yet to find a practical use for it against that of a slower shutter and lower ISO myself.
Handheld night shots.
11-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
though I have yet to find a practical use for it against that of a slower shutter and lower ISO myself.
Sony has had a neat implementation of this for years. It works quite well on NEX and RX100 for static scenes at night or in poor lighting when you don't have a good tripod or monopod around. It can also broaden the dynamic range of an image considerably in any lighting. Downside is that it only creates JPEGs. I guess doing it in the K-3 does the same.

11-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wayneheim Quote
Just got my k3 tonight and was putting it threw some tests. I was trying some high iso tests and playing with the interval shooting. I found that if you shoot a single shot at 12800 and then compare it to a 12800 interval of 8 shots set to average, the noise reduction is incredible. Way better then using in camera noise reduction. Try it at 52,000 and results were even more amazing. Could pull a much cleaner image this way then trying to use in camera noise reduction or Lightroom noise reduction. The image does end up a hair softer though but that's at 200 zoom. Tried the test at 2000 iso and it works there too but Lightroom can easily handle that noise almost as well. But interval and Lightroom is a great combination.

Anyone else confirm tried this? I tried a 19 shot average but at some point the averaging doesn't improve it any more. I think it's somewhere between 6-9 shots seems to provide the best results. Attached is a 12,800 with some Lightroom sharpening and a bit of noise reduction.

Wayne
Multi-frame NR is extremely effective. If you put it through a program like arcsoft you can virtually remove the noise completely!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wayneheim Quote

Wayne
I have not confirmed it but it seems consistent with the theory that noise is random, so averaging of several must reduce noise. The number of frames which makes sense would confront the problem of change of the image from frame to frame - either from camera movement or subject change. Analogs of this noise reduction method have been used in electronics for many decades. Interesting that the first place I encountered this was in a low noise amplifier for moving coil cartridges for playing vinyl records (remember them) - there were 8 transistors in parallel to cancel out the effect of noise in each. I never thought if there was a theoretical limit to the number which could be used or if it was just a practical 'diminishing returns' based limit to adding more - given that each additional transistor would add cost and other issues.

Also, to avoid camera movement over an extended time one would need a tripod, so why not use a lower ISO and the noise problem goes away.

This method cannot address the problem of low light AND fast changing subject.

Last edited by tim60; 11-02-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: added to paragraph 1
11-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have not confirmed it but it seems consistent with the theory that noise is random, so averaging of several must reduce noise. The number of frames which makes sense would confront the problem of change of the image from frame to frame - either from camera movement or subject change. Analogs of this noise reduction method have been used in electronics for many decades.

Also, to avoid camera movement over an extended time one would need a tripod, so why not use a lower ISO and the noise problem goes away.

This method cannot address the problem of low light AND fast changing subject.
Stacking software will line up the slightly different images (from handheld motion) and remove the noise. Works very well. But yes, static subjects only.

11-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible to do this on a K-5? I've tried doing underexposed multiple exposures, like Sony does, but haven't seen much improvement.
11-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Multi-frame NR is extremely effective. If you put it through a program like arcsoft you can virtually remove the noise completely!
Can you do this with RAW files in Photoshop or lightroom?
11-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
Can you do this with RAW files in Photoshop or lightroom?
Yes. You stack the files in layers and give individual opacity to the different layers.
11-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Is it possible to do this on a K-5? I've tried doing underexposed multiple exposures, like Sony does, but haven't seen much improvement.
Derped a lot here. Thought you could do it in-camera.
11-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Yes. You stack the files in layers and give individual opacity to the different layers.
Thanks! I can't wait to get this a shot.

....sheesh, I should have thought of that....need more sleep.
11-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Forum Member

sqrt(N)

QuoteQuote:
I found that if you shoot a single shot at 12800 and then compare it to a 12800 interval of 8 shots set to average, the noise reduction is incredible. Way better then using in camera noise reduction.
S/N by averaging random noise is expected to improve by the square root of N. Four shots should give a reduction by 2 – or 2.83 for 8.

QuoteQuote:
I tried a 19 shot average but at some point the averaging doesn't improve it any more. I think it's somewhere between 6-9 shots seems to provide the best results.
19 should still give a 54% improvement over 8: 100×(√19/√8–1). In astrophotography stacking many images is not uncommon.
11-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is more of a technique thread than news or rumors. Mods?
11-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the camera is capable of doing this with no external software, just set it to multiple exposure mode, and squeeze of as many frames as your heart desires. Works in Raw or Jpeg, but in Raw, the displayed color temperature will be something goofy like 2 billion degrees kelvin. The image will still look fine.