Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Edmonton Photo Show Today

I attended the Edmonton Photo Show this morning and Pentax had a good presence at the entrance of the show (Pic 1). There seem to be lots of interest in the K3. Some highlights for me included:
•Confirming that the K3 does AF during video. This isn't something I hadn't seen with my copy but will need to play around more;
•I saw a demonstration of the K3 flucard in use on an iPad and it looks really cool;
•The DA 560mm is a huge beast (Pic 2) and AF is quite good with the K3 when I tried it out. Unless the price comes down, the Sigma 500 f4.5 will be the long lens priority.
•The DA 55-300 WR looks like a good lens and could be a good companion to the DA 18-135 as a travel WR kit.
•Sigma had the 18-35 f1.8 on display and it appears to be a gem. Solid construction and would be great for indoor work.
•The Panasonic GM1 is as small as a Q and looks like a great little camera; handling is not in the same league as the Q;
•The busiest booths were the Canon, Nikon and Sony; no surprises there. The new Sony full frames were in such demand that I couldn't get a chance to play with it.

The Pentax reps wouldn't comment on FF rumours but said that things are looking good under Ricoh with a lot more products on the way. Some pics below.

Dale

11-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #2

Just a bit off topic. It's been awhile since I visited Edmonton (unfortunately it was when someone got shot outside the Howard Johnson's) but what is the market for Pentax like there?
11-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pictures?
11-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The major photo stores in Edmonton all sell Pentax so lots of selection. I tried to upload photos but the system wouldn't let me so I gave up.

Dale

11-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

what Pictures?
11-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
What'chu lookin at
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Host them somewhere else! Would love to see what Edmonton has going on
11-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There was good interest. I was told they sold out on k3 stock at the show. Got to play with one for a bit. Hoping my preorder comes in soon
11-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Host them somewhere else!
Indeed. flickr gives you 1 terabyte for free nowadays, and it's easy to link flickr images into Pentax forums.

11-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
There was good interest. I was told they sold out on k3 stock at the show. Got to play with one for a bit. Hoping my preorder comes in soon
I managed to get one this morning just playing with it now. That is a K3
11-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I saw a pile of K3 packages at the sale section of the show. There seemed to be almost as much Pentax stuff in inventory as Olympus and the big 2.

Dale
11-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Action Jackson Quote
Just a bit off topic. It's been awhile since I visited Edmonton (unfortunately it was when someone got shot outside the Howard Johnson's) but what is the market for Pentax like there?
thats unfortunate that was your last visit...

anyways, for Pentax, all the major stores have it, and if you can't find what your looking for chances are you can get it in a couple of weeks or less. I haven't waited longer than 3 weeks for a Pentax product...and that was only once (FA 77), everything else was either in stock or transferable. The local downtown McBain gets a decent amount of Pentax used stuff through on a regular basis, stuff that doesn't even show up on the website. I've grabbed a few gems there for great prices. However...the FA 28-70 f2.8 is going for a heck of a lot more than usual.
11-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #12

Thanks Wired. That incident did not leave a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't mind living there actually even with the crazy cold weather.
11-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Action Jackson Quote
Thanks Wired. That incident did not leave a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't mind living there actually even with the crazy cold weather.
By all means, do come to Alberta but never mind Edmonton, Calgary is the place to be....
11-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
By all means, do come to Alberta but never mind Edmonton, Calgary is the place to be....
yea? Hows the river down there? Flood much.

too soon?

I honestly love Calgary, about the same as Edmonton. Edmonton's river valley is a jewel, and I'm loving it more and more every year. That being said, Calgary's river valley and downtown metro are fascinating and I think lends better for street photography. Too spread out though....thats my major issue. I can think of two major advantages though in Calgary... Tubby Dog and Jelly Modern Doughnuts. But out historical park is better, and we often get better linups for our festivals.

The cold sucks... no where else in the world does it jump for -30 Celcius to 25 Celcius in less than a week like it did last spring. Thankfully the fall-winter drops are more gradual.