Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 vs. K5IIs

In blind tests, under exact same condition with shutter speeds and apertures, we will be able to tell the difference???

Just curious is all.

Would some new K-3 owners with K5IIs be interested in conducting a test?

I just think it would be interesting . . . .

11-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It's inevitable that someone will do it. And then probably also inevitable that arguments ensue over how to compare 16 meg crops to 24 meg crops, noise reduction techniques etc etc, lol
11-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both cameras so may attempt this week if I have time. I am not sure that the K3 has better IQ than K5IIs, but the 24 MP allows much more cropping and the speed and other features of the K3 is amazing. I think I will keep my K5IIs around as it is a gem also.

Dale
11-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
And then probably also inevitable that arguments ensue over how to compare 16 meg crops to 24 meg crops, noise reduction techniques etc etc, lol
Exactly. OP should just pull up some test images for both cameras from Imaging Resource (and other sites perhaps later) and compare the cameras there. Much more controlled.

11-03-2013, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After reading the latest article on the K3 with images posted, I have some thoughts I would like to share.
After owning all of the Pentax flagship cameras since the k10 I can say that any improvements from one generation to the other has much more to do with features than general IQ. The high ISO performance has been the largest improvement in IQ while other improvements are related to mechanical and handling aspects of the camera. for instance form factor from K10/20 to K7/5/5II's. Some people prefer the handling of the K7/ K5 bodies and some miss the K10/K20 handling. When I look at the new K3 and compare to the K5IIS, I see a better, faster processor, faster FPS shutter, FLU card capabilities, better video recording capabilities, better SR performance, better AF performance and the switchable AA filter. I am sure there are some things I missed but bottom line, IQ is really about the same with the 24mp sensor. Maybe even a little step backward at high ISO. There were discussions about the sweet spot for number of megapixels on an APSC sensor when the K5 came out and a lot of people felt that the Sony sensor in the K5 was about optimum. However, the average consumer is so caught up in megapixel count, the camera manufacturers have identified that the MP number is the most important selling point to them. the manufacturers are willing to sacrifice a little IQ in order to be able to claim more megapixels. That is really a shame but I feel that ultimately, besides IQ, we are going to have to choose a camera based on our peripheral needs as IQ is pretty much maxed out.
I do have the K5IIs and my K3 will deliver Tuesday. I will for sure be doing some comparisons between the two.

Regards
11-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I hope that K3's in depth review will include some kind of comparison to the K5IIs and CaNikon.
11-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you have the K-5IIs and don't need the AF improvements or some of the other support features like 2 SD card slots or better HD video, then I probably wouldn't upgrade. The K-5 sensor has more latitude when it comes to the shadows and under exposure. The K-3 has really good image quality, but you had better get exposure right.

Coming from the K-5 it was worth the upgrade tor me. I'm not sure its worth the upgrade if you are coming from the K-5IIs. Of course you could sell the K-5IIs and then its not a big jump for the K-3.

11-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
In blind tests, under exact same condition with shutter speeds and apertures, we will be able to tell the difference???

Just curious is all.

Would some new K-3 owners with K5IIs be interested in conducting a test?

I just think it would be interesting . . . .
I snapped a photo photos today. Will post them in a moment so that you can compare me and tell which is which

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
It's inevitable that someone will do it. And then probably also inevitable that arguments ensue over how to compare 16 meg crops to 24 meg crops, noise reduction techniques etc etc, lol
I say no cropping. Compare as is. Supposed benefits of 8 more meg may not be apparent. LoL
11-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

My thought was if the "difference" in quality or lack thereof may or may not sway the buying decision of PF members .....

For that matter, blind testing with K-5 (not IIs) maybe interesting too.

K-7 vs. K-3 at ISO 100? I would like to think that I ought to be able tell the difference immediately but not so sure. LoL
08-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I snapped a photo photos today. Will post them in a moment so that you can compare me and tell which is which
and? how are the results?
08-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DXOMark shows an irrelevant IQ difference between the IIs and K-3 when printed or displayed at the same size.

I much prefer the 24mp sensor, because I can crop harder, which I do frequently. The In-Depth review on this site mentioned that a K-3 image cropped to 16mp gives about the same FOV as a K-5 with 1.4X TC attached. To a wildlife shooter, that is a highly significant improvement.

Then of course there's the more sophisticated AF to help me get the photo in the first place. It's common for people to praise the advanced AF-C and tracking on the K-3, but the smaller center point is just as important to me. I am constantly amazed at how the K-3 can nail focus on a bird in a tree, and ignore the branches surrounding it.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-05-2014 at 06:05 PM.
08-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
and? how are the results?
I posted them in a separate thread in November. Do an advanced search for all my threads and you should see it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Then of course there's the more sophisticated AF to help me get the photo in the first place. It's common for people to praise the advanced AF-C and tracking on the K-3, but the smaller center point is just as important to me. I am constantly amazed at how the K-3 can nail focus on a bird in a tree, and ignore the branches surrounding it.
That is exactly the refinement/improvement I'm hoping for when my K3 arrives Tuesday! I've contemplated several times throwing my K5iis in the nearest pond/lake when it misses focus more often that not.
08-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It's common for people to praise the advanced AF-C and tracking on the K-3, but the smaller center point is just as important to me. I am constantly amazed at how the K-3 can nail focus on a bird in a tree, and ignore the branches surrounding it.
I should have mentioned that I only use AF-S, Center Point for birds in trees. For birds in flight, I use AF-C, 27-point expandable. I switch between them quickly with the User modes.