File one = K-3, File two = K-5 IIs 27264.00%
File one = K-5 IIs, File two = K-3 15336.00%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #196
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
If people have that much trouble choosing between the two, then that tells me that the k3 isn't worth an upgrade from the k5iis

maybe next generation.....

thanks

randy
I believe this to be a valid line of thought, but:

1. Just because IQ is not clearly better under one particular set of conditions, doesn't mean that benefits would not be more easily discernible under other conditions.
2. One camera can have a better feature set than another. This MAY result in better IQ and/or convenience.
3. I doubt that at this stage of the game we can expect IQ improvements in gigantic steps.

12-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #197
Pentaxian

The biggest IQ gain that I get from my K3 over the K5 is that almost everything is in focus. The ones in focus between the two are pretty close, but there are far more on the K3 than the K5.
12-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #198

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
If people have that much trouble choosing between the two, then that tells me that the k3 isn't worth an upgrade from the k5iis

maybe next generation.....

thanks

randy
and with the lack of understanding the advantages of the k3 your right the k5 will suit you fine
12-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #199

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I believe this to be a valid line of thought, but:

1. Just because IQ is not clearly better under one particular set of conditions, doesn't mean that benefits would not be more easily discernible under other conditions.
2. One camera can have a better feature set than another. This MAY result in better IQ and/or convenience.
3. I doubt that at this stage of the game we can expect IQ improvements in gigantic steps.
yeah, well shoot a pic with a k5 then k3, resize the k3 to the k5 make print then sell k5. Or make a bill board print from each. Lol

12-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #200
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The biggest IQ gain that I get from my K3 over the K5 is that almost everything is in focus. The ones in focus between the two are pretty close, but there are far more on the K3 than the K5.
This alone would be enough for me to trade my K-5 for a K-3.
12-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apples and oranges -

I've been thinking about the noise situation with the K-3, and have some conclusions. Some have stated that they think the K-5 has better noise control. Try this. Take two identical shots, one with the K-3 and one with the K-5, both at ISO 3200.

Now - downsize the the much larger K-3 picture with software to the same dimensions as the K-5 shot. What you will do in the process is reduce the noise, because you are making the aberrations smaller. I'm betting that the result will be two nearly identical pictures with the noise essentially equal. The more you upsize a picture, either through the native megapixel count or with software, the more noise will be apparent, so if you expanded the 16 MP size picture of the K-5 to approximate the size of the 24 MP K-3 shot, conversely you will probably see more noise, roughly equivalent a K-3 picture, but with an attendant loss of IQ in the process.

Although more noise would probably be apparent with the K-3 at 24 MP vs, the 16 MP of the K-5, you will undoubtedly see a sharper image with more detail and more room to creatively crop the picture. Noise can also be controlled with post processing software. The more efficient focusing of the K-3 is an additional boon.

I haven't tried all of this, but it seems logical. Am I in any way in error here? More MP = more APPARENT noise, because the noise is magnified, in a nutshell, given the identical dimensions of the APSC sensor. Right or wrong?

John
12-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I've been thinking about the noise situation with the K-3, and have some conclusions. Some have stated that they think the K-5 has better noise control. Try this. Take two identical shots, one with the K-3 and one with the K-5, both at ISO 3200.

Now - downsize the the much larger K-3 picture with software to the same dimensions as the K-5 shot. What you will do in the process is reduce the noise, because you are making the aberrations smaller. I'm betting that the result will be two nearly identical pictures with the noise essentially equal. The more you upsize a picture, either through the native megapixel count or with software, the more noise will be apparent, so if you expanded the 16 MP size picture of the K-5 to approximate the size of the 24 MP K-3 shot, conversely you will probably see more noise, roughly equivalent a K-3 picture, but with an attendant loss of IQ in the process.

Although more noise would probably be apparent with the K-3 at 24 MP vs, the 16 MP of the K-5, you will undoubtedly see a sharper image with more detail and more room to creatively crop the picture. Noise can also be controlled with post processing software. The more efficient focusing of the K-3 is an additional boon.

I haven't tried all of this, but it seems logical. Am I in any way in error here? More MP = more APPARENT noise, because the noise is magnified, in a nutshell, given the identical dimensions of the APSC sensor. Right or wrong?

John
From what I've read but not tested myself. In practical terms, i.e. making prints at particular sizes, the greater resolution MORE than makes up for the additional noise for superior prints. Where you might notice the extra noise is very large prints, but that's where you notice the extra resolution also (where the 16mp image is getting soft from being too big). So trade-offs all in favor of the K-3....

Last edited by vonBaloney; 01-01-2014 at 11:18 AM.
12-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #203
Veteran Member

John
You're correct. FYI, DXOmark takes the 'extra' megapixels into account in their (standard) plots/comparisons.
01-01-2014, 02:02 AM   #204
Pentaxian

Right or wrong?
Just another confirmation that you are right in both your thought processes and your assumption that after establishing the same magnification the K-3 and K-5 (II) have extremely similar noise performance (as measured by DxOMark).
01-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
From what I've read but not tested myself. In practical terms, i.e. making prints at particular sizes, the greater resolution MORE than makes up for the additional noise for superior prints. Where you might notice the extra noise is very large prints, but that's where you notice the extra resolution also (where the 16mp image is getting soft from being too big). So trade-offs all in favor of the K-3....
I agree with this. I also have not done tests, but this is my firm conclusion from my extensive reading and looking at results and tests on imaging resource.
05-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #206
Pentaxian

was there ever an answer to this poll ?
read a few pages of certainty it was one or the other
05-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #207

1 - k3
05-23-2014, 01:37 AM   #208
Veteran Member

K5IIs #1
K3 #2
05-23-2014, 04:06 AM   #209
Pentaxian

I rest my case
08-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #210
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So which image is which the poll is closed and no posted answer?