Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-3 Dual Slots: Bug?

As far as I can tell, the K-3 doesn't have a setting that lets you control which SD slot to save to. It will always go to SD1 and then to SD2 once SD1 fills up, unless you choose to back up or split JPEGs/RAWs/videos (which I'm not doing).

So I found an interesting bug. Steps to reproduce:

1. Insert two cards into the camera then power the camera on
-> SD1 should the shown as the selected card slot
2. Remove the card from SD1 then power the camera on
-> SD2 should be shown as the selected card slot
3. Re-insert a card into SD1 and then power the camera on
-> SD2 will still be shown as the selected card slot
-> There is no way to go back to using SD1 unless you remove SD2

I'm able to reproduce this consistently, and it's already gotten a bit annoying. Is there really no way to force the camera to use SD1 whenever there's a card there? Surely I must be missing something. Otherwise Pentax either (a) needs to fix this behavior or (b) needs to add an option to select which slot to use as the primary slot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ahhh...the fun of having firmware 1.0. I miss those days...NOT!
11-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you are using sequential mode as shown on page 37 of the manual, the camera appears to now be writing to SD2 until it becomes full or disappears, so rather than a bug it appears to be working as designed.
Or am I missing something? (I don't have a K-3 yet.)
11-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If you are using sequential mode as shown on page 37 of the manual, the camera appears to now be writing to SD2 until it becomes full or disappears, so rather than a bug it appears to be working as designed.
Or am I missing something? (I don't have a K-3 yet.)
If this is by design (which it might be), then it's certainly a nuisance: every time you download files from SD1, you also need to remove SD2 or else your camera will write to SD2 once you power it back up.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can select which card to save to in your menu settings.
11-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Where? All I'm seeing is an option to go to SD1 and overflow to SD2, mirror, or split raw/jpeg (first option of the first tab).

Adam

11-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The manual indicates SD1 is the default. So in the camera menu there is no option to change the default back to SD1? Seems weird to have to physically swap the cards in and out just to get SD1 working again as the primary.
11-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes I saw this behaviour when I switched the camera on (probably to muck about) whist my slot 1 card was in the PC. The camera selected the slot which had a card still in to be the primary and this remained even when the 2nd card was reinserted.

On reflection I felt "of course that makes sense" though I think I better get a 2nd card of the same speed. Its sequential not "overflow"

Don't think so... just the method in which the cards are used... would make a easy firmware change to have sequential 1->2 and sequential 2->1 as options to switch card order back, should you desire... possibly far more important when card2 is a Wifi card.

or if Card 2 is empty when Card 1 is reinserted make Card 1 the primary?

11-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The button bottom right on the back of the camera allows you to change the card slot to be used in playback mode, I wonder if it remembers the chosen slot when you go back to shooting mode?

Addition, you can also change the slot to use in the Info Panel (top right) using the up/down joggle keys.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 11-04-2013 at 02:50 AM.
11-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
The button bottom right on the back of the camera allows you to change the card slot to be used in playback mode, I wonder if it remembers the chosen slot when you go back to shooting mode?
The button & your selection have no effect outside of playback mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Addition, you can also change the slot to use in the Info Panel (top right) using the up/down joggle keys.
But this is the same setting as the one found in the main menu, which doesn't let you select the slot directly.

On Nikon cameras, there's a "primary slot" option. Pentax needs to add this. I can't recall whether or not the 645D had such a setting, but I have a hunch that it did...

Adam

11-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The button & your selection have no effect outside of playback mode.

But this is the same setting as the one found in the main menu, which doesn't let you select the slot directly.

On Nikon cameras, there's a "primary slot" option. Pentax needs to add this. I can't recall whether or not the 645D had such a setting, but I have a hunch that it did...
Agreed .
When I first did it thought to myself 'that is going to pee me off'
Also write speed becomes very sluggish in anything but sequential writing , seems to write sd1 the write sd2 if you in RAW+jpe or jpg+copy etc
11-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Where? All I'm seeing is an option to go to SD1 and overflow to SD2, mirror, or split raw/jpeg (first option of the first tab).
Bah...I'm not sure, I was playing with one at the Edmonton Photo show and remember specifically changing the card slot option. Maybe it only affected the card write location and not read location. I wish I still had a copy in my hands I'm hoping my pre-order comes in soon!
11-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Bah...I'm not sure, I was playing with one at the Edmonton Photo show and remember specifically changing the card slot option. Maybe it only affected the card write location and not read location. I wish I still had a copy in my hands I'm hoping my pre-order comes in soon!
Card write to option can be selected in movie mode. Maybe that is where you saw it?
(P37 of the manual, I don't own a K-3 yet.)
11-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Card write to option can be selected in movie mode. Maybe that is where you saw it?
(P37 of the manual, I don't own a K-3 yet.)
That could be it, I wouldn't be having this problem if the Pentax rep just let me have his demo copy now would I!
11-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
Forum Member

I wish I could help you guys as I just looked at the Manual!
i'll have to wait till i get my own K-3