Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine just gives me a little button I can use to upgrade to the new profile, do you have the latest Aperture upgrade installed?

03-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Mine just gives me a little button I can use to upgrade to the new profile, do you have the latest Aperture upgrade installed?
Yes, I did installed it yesterday

---------- Post added 03-23-14 at 07:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It looks like with a help from JimH21111 from DPR Pentax Forum we found better cure. Simple clicking on "Photo/Reprocess Raw" fixes the problem making Edit available again.

Last edited by Greyser; 03-23-2014 at 07:52 PM.
03-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Here's the little button... to let you reprocess already loaded images.

Here's the un-reprocessed file with 1:1 noise

Here's the re-processed 1:1 noise

So as expected, when run through the Apple profile, some noise reduction is applied, and the K-3 images are pretty much standardized to look like K-5 images.... only larger and sharper.

Last edited by normhead; 03-24-2014 at 06:07 AM.
03-26-2014, 02:37 AM   #94
jlh

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
There is a catch though. Direct DNG import from K-3 does work now. However, all my previous K-3 files processed previosly through Adobe DNG Converter are not accessible for editing anymore. There is a message what accompanies any older K-3 file editing attempt:

Image Cannot be Edited
This photo was adjusted using a version of Apple’s RAW processing that is not available on this system.

I found way around: export non-editable file as original into any folder and import it back to iPhoto Library. It may be edited again. However, it is very coumbersome technique. Any other suggestions?
On my Mac Pro: Initially when I viewed the converted DNGs in the Library pane they showed up as unsupported. When I switched to the adjustment tab the photos converted when I clicked them. I have a number of Adobe DNG Converted files on my lap top and I will see how they are treated as I haven't updated the Camera Raw on it.

03-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlh Quote
On my Mac Pro: Initially when I viewed the converted DNGs in the Library pane they showed up as unsupported. When I switched to the adjustment tab the photos converted when I clicked them. I have a number of Adobe DNG Converted files on my lap top and I will see how they are treated as I haven't updated the Camera Raw on it.
There is also Reprocess action in iMan and Aperture.
03-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #96
jlh

K-3 PEF and DNG

I had no issues with either pulling RAW files off my card or re-editing Adobe DNG Converted files after the latest Apple RAW update. Where I did have an issue was with old (2003-2004) DNGs. They appeared in the album as "Unsupported Image Format"
Attached Images

03-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlh Quote
I had no issues with either pulling RAW files off my card or re-editing Adobe DNG Converted files after the latest Apple RAW update. Where I did have an issue was with old (2003-2004) DNGs. They appeared in the album as "Unsupported Image Format"
That's interesting because I think the first camera to offer DNG file support was in 2005 (Hasselblad).

03-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #98
jlh

DNG

Whoops - typo. The date was 2006 for the photos not 2004
04-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #99

Photos: Albums
Hi All,

Please let me know if we any other solution to fix K3 RAW images (PEF) files getting corrupted in Mac :-( .
10-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used my Pentax K-3 camera to take the moon eclipse two night ago in RAW format for the first time. I don't know that there were so many problems with opening the RAW files from K-3 camera (as described in this forum). I don't have time to read them all. Could someone help me to view the RAW files using a one-step instruction, as simple as opening the JPG files taken by this K-3 camera, please? I am new to PEF format. Thank you.
10-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The easiest way is to manipulate the DNG using software like Lightroom / Photoshop / Capture One or any other program that can handle DNG files sooothly. I havent had any trouble with my DNG files, you just have to be clear that DNGs are un compress files that havent get any image processing ( for example the contrast, sharpeing, saturation that you set IN CAMERA only affect the images when you shoot JPG, if you shoot RAW that doesnt affect the image at all ). You can download Lightroom wich is really easy to use and have a lot of possiblities to export to JPGs in case that you need to.
10-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 4karats Quote
I used my Pentax K-3 camera to take the moon eclipse two night ago in RAW format for the first time. I don't know that there were so many problems with opening the RAW files from K-3 camera (as described in this forum). I don't have time to read them all. Could someone help me to view the RAW files using a one-step instruction, as simple as opening the JPG files taken by this K-3 camera, please? I am new to PEF format. Thank you.
There is no trouble at all now. All software got updated for the K-3 profile. For the MAC what I use I need just import DNG in iPhoto or Aperture.
10-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #103
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by audiebrew Quote
I'm new to the forum. I just got my new K-3 after using my K10D for years. I'm unable to open raw files in Aperture, iPhoto or Preview. The only thing that works is the Pentax utility, which is not ideal. I'm on the latest version of OS, Aperture, iPhoto (Mavericks + app updates).

Any tips or solutions?
Update Mac to 10.9.5 .