Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just downloaded it and ran it. No fuss , no muss, no chocolate mess.

11-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
LPA

SilkyPix

Not surprisingly, SilkyPix has just released an update to DSPro[45] that includes support for the K3. I've always liked the output of DSProE for my K5 and was given a 20% discount on the price for DSPro5. I wonder if the special WB option in the K3 may not be recognized by previously existing raw converters?

LPA
11-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Pentax camera utility 4.441(the current update) does open and save as a jpg the K3 PEF files on a mac, I just tried it. I never use my copy so it did not occur to me to try it.

David
11-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Addendum: It appears that the Pentax program will only allow the conversion to JPG and a simple display of the picture in a window, no manipulation.

David

11-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I can't open Raw files in Aperture but no problem with JPEG's.

Should be an update soon.

The new K3 screen is nice.
11-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi guys.

I received my K-3 today and got stuck with the same problem with Aperture/iPhoto and DNG from K-3. I followed one of advices here, installed Adobe DNG Converter 8.2, and converted failing K-3 DNG via converter. Then I was able to import my DNG files in iPhoto with no problem. Thank you for the help.

SG
11-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #22

At least the DNG:s downloaded from here open just like older DNG:s on my MBair, OSX 10.8. And the previews display in good old Expression Media, too.

11-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #23

Keep me posted on this thread. I miss shooting RAW and would love to start using Lightroom !
11-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by RyukyuMike Quote
Keep me posted on this thread. I miss shooting RAW and would love to start using Lightroom !
Lightroom 5 opens the K3 DNGs fine. I have not tried with PEFs or with Lightroom 4.4 which I also have.
11-07-2013, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I wouldn't bother looking to post it with Ricoh they'll be less than interested that Apple cannot open standard v1.2 DNG's

This issue is Apples and Apples alone reflects poor coding IMO

as you've seen in this thread no well written programs have any issue with K3 DNG.

What is amusing is the other unix based OS's have no issue with K3 DNG able to display thumbnails and process with any number of Apps.

Its a shame when you pay such a price but 'ease of operation' has higher priority than actually working ! its the Apple way.
11-07-2013, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I see it still hurts you that people prefer using Apple computers, however this isn't the place for it. Take your computer wars to ARS-technica or someplace like that. Apple is slower than others, but they do a profile for each and every camera, not a generic DNG one size fits all approach. If people don't see the value in that, fine, others do. As in all things Apple PC. They are different, if you want to push for generic everything, wonderful, tell the sensor makers and camera makers to standardize everything. It's not Apple fault they have to do each camera individually to maintain the standards they insist on.
11-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
Forum Member

I'm an absolute digital workflow newbie, but I've had no problems opening and manipulating DNGs from my K3 with Raw Therapee, Photivo and Raw Photo Processor 64. For reasons I'm still not fully grokking, high ISO images processed with RPP have *much* tamer/smoother noise than with the other two programs.

Doug
11-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bedo Quote
different DNG version, maybe?
The K-3 uses DNG version 1.2.0.0. (Which was launched in 2008).

(The K-5IIs and Q7 use DNG version 1.1.0.0 - I think the K-3 is the first Pentax to use 1.2.0.0).
11-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I see it still hurts you that people prefer using Apple computers, however this isn't the place for it. Take your computer wars to ARS-technica or someplace like that. Apple is slower than others, but they do a profile for each and every camera, not a generic DNG one size fits all approach. If people don't see the value in that, fine, others do. As in all things Apple PC. They are different, if you want to push for generic everything, wonderful, tell the sensor makers and camera makers to standardize everything. It's not Apple fault they have to do each camera individually to maintain the standards they insist on.
What does "but they do a profile for each and every camera, not a generic DNG one size fits all" mean?

Every DNG contains its own camera profile. Here are examples of how vastly different camera can be handled by software that processes DNGs properly.
11-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

The profile for 'each and every camera' is contained within the DNG file, I can open K3 DNG files in CS2! In CS6 all the lens profiles, camera profiles etc, are available too, even the copyright info and all the EXIF data is included, DNG is not 'generic', never has been, it's always recorded all the data the camera generates.

Chris