Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe I'm missing something... but I have years worth of photos shot in raw (most recently with my K-5 IIs) that are stored and maintained using Lightroom for Mac - much to my surprise, and disappointment, the first images I shot with my new K-3 don't open properly. Aside from working in JPEG, I need a solution that doesn't include running everything through a conversion in another application.

Are we really stuck waiting for Apple? Has anyone found a workaround that allows opening dng or pef directly in Lightroom?

Yes, I am able to open the images with the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5, yes, The latest updates to Camera raw/bridge seems to work... so why not Lightroom.

As I said, maybe I missed something, but I can't believe I'm the only one that needs this, and also having a tough time believing that there is only this single 2 page thread about this issue...

Any Ideas?

11-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tricktech Quote
Maybe I'm missing something... but I have years worth of photos shot in raw (most recently with my K-5 IIs) that are stored and maintained using Lightroom for Mac - much to my surprise, and disappointment, the first images I shot with my new K-3 don't open properly. Aside from working in JPEG, I need a solution that doesn't include running everything through a conversion in another application.

Are we really stuck waiting for Apple? Has anyone found a workaround that allows opening dng or pef directly in Lightroom?

Yes, I am able to open the images with the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5, yes, The latest updates to Camera raw/bridge seems to work... so why not Lightroom.

As I said, maybe I missed something, but I can't believe I'm the only one that needs this, and also having a tough time believing that there is only this single 2 page thread about this issue...

Any Ideas?
Maybe more facts about your situation will help. What version of LR are you using? What type of raw file are you attempting to open? K-3 DNG files open fine in V 4.4 of LR. On several relevant prior threads, maybe this one even, the suggestion was given to reconvert the DNGs to DNGs using Adobe's tool. This is an interim solution. Have you tried this?

If you are trying to open PEFs, surely as a non-newbie LR user you are aware that it is standard practice for Adobe to issue dot releases that provide LR functionality to brand new camera models. The lag time is commonly a few weeks at most, depending on how active the backlog of new bodies is to integrate. To me it is unreasonable to expect LR to open PEF files produced by a camera that has been out for eight days. That is what DNG for and it is smart of Pentax to offer this alternative.

M
11-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Maybe more facts about your situation will help. What version of LR are you using? What type of raw file are you attempting to open? K-3 DNG files open fine in V 4.4 of LR. On several relevant prior threads, maybe this one even, the suggestion was given to reconvert the DNGs to DNGs using Adobe's tool. This is an interim solution. Have you tried this?

If you are trying to open PEFs, surely as a non-newbie LR user you are aware that it is standard practice for Adobe to issue dot releases that provide LR functionality to brand new camera models. The lag time is commonly a few weeks at most, depending on how active the backlog of new bodies is to integrate. To me it is unreasonable to expect LR to open PEF files produced by a camera that has been out for eight days. That is what DNG for and it is smart of Pentax to offer this alternative.

M
5.3RC
K-3 DNG

Not sure what conversion tool you are referring to? Where to find it?
11-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #34

Does Lightroom have support for using the full-size previews embedded in DNG? Those are what you see in Expression Media, not a freshly rendered DNG. For my own part, I'm fine with this because it's much faster than rendering every picture again.
But the Mac Preview.app doesn't open K-3 DNG:s, which suggests Apple doesn't support them yet. In ACR they open fine, though.
Upgrades for new cameras usually arrives in bunches when the supplier thinks there's enough of them to justify the effort.

11-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tricktech Quote
5.3RC
K-3 DNG

Not sure what conversion tool you are referring to? Where to find it?
Adobe DNG converter for Mac.

M
11-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Well, part of the mystery solved...

It appears that it's the embedded preview that Lightroom is having the issue with. Although blind, if you proceed with the import, everything works from that point forward.
11-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom handles my K-3 DNG's beautifully. Why the religious objection to Adobe products?

11-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #38
Pentaxian

One more time… Adobe Raw Converter….

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh

It converts the K-3 DNG file to a DNG file Aperture can read. NO need for TIFFs, no need for PSDs or any other large file format. It creates a nice DNG size file that your Aperture can read.

End of problem.

Last edited by normhead; 11-09-2013 at 07:26 AM.
11-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Lightroom handles my K-3 DNG's beautifully. Why the religious objection to Adobe products?
They ripped me off for $500 once, then they ripped me off for $200. It takes me a while, but i do learn eventually.
11-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #40

RPP have beta version that support K-3 DNG, and pay version got lightroom plug-in for easier workflow.
12-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #41

Photos: Albums
Tested out the k-3 at the local shop-- it was set to pefs… now I want to look at the photos here at home & I can't get them converted to dngs… tried Adobe dng converter. Did not recognize the files. Now what???
12-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #42
Forum Member

Download a demo version of SilkyPix and see the files there and convert to dng.
12-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysmichellerene Quote
Now what???
What about the software (Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5) that came on a CD with the camera? It will read K-3 PEFs and DNGs perfectly.
12-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What about the software (Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5) that came on a CD with the camera? It will read K-3 PEFs and DNGs perfectly.
I believe he stated that he tested the camera in the shop - And therefor he does not have the CD to install that software?
12-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One more time… Adobe Raw Converter….

It converts the K-3 DNG file to a DNG file Aperture can read. NO need for TIFFs, no need for PSDs or any other large file format. It creates a nice DNG size file that your Aperture can read.

End of problem.
Norm, have patience with an old man (me) and make sure I'm clear. I've always shot RAW but never in the DNG format, so - were I to buy a K-3 before Apple updates Aperture (which I love) - I could simply: 1) download Adobe RAW converter; 2) set the camera to DNG format; 3) make the conversion to an Aperture-readible DNG file with the Adobe download; and 4) blissfully move that file forward through Aperture with the procedure I currently use with my K-5 and PEF files.

I am planning to hold off buying a K-3 until Apple updates Aperture, but in case I cannot resist temptation this seems to be a fairly straight-forward approach until Apple does its thing and I can do the whole process in Aperture.

Were I to say something incendiary, I'd mention that I'd give up photography before going back to a PC, so I won't say that.

Jer