Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ArneTorp Quote
I believe he stated that he tested the camera in the shop - And therefor he does not have the CD to install that software?
Umm, but...:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/244176-i-did-new-k-3-owner.html

12-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #47

Photos: Albums
LOL… you guys crack me up! 1. I'm a lady. 2. My camera hasn't arrived yet, hence no software. 3. I went to the camera store after I ordered my k-3 to put my hands on it & test it out!

I downloaded the trial of silkypix… got to look at the files. Focus issues. I'm assuming some of my lenses (was shooting with the 77) will need to be calibrated. Camera is scheduled to arrive Friday! Can't wait to get my very own to play with!
12-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysmichellerene Quote
Can't wait to get my very own to play with!
Great to hear. It will be fun. By all means, do install the software supplied with the camera. It has some very useful features. I'm not sure if all of these features (eg all the Pentax Custom Image and Filter settings) are available in Silkypix Developer Studio.
12-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #49
jlh

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Adobe Lightroom?
I just tried LR 5 trial and it wouldn't open PEF files or show previews for DNG or PEFs until after they are imported. It did open the DNGs. I did the upgrade to LR 5.3 trial and it worked fine on PEFs and DNGs, still no preview of images on the card

12-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last week and at the suggestion of Norm (normhead) and boriscleto, I down loaded the free Adobe DNG Converter in order to convert the K-3's DNG files to DNG files palatable to Aperture. As it happens, this latest version (8.3) supports Pentax PEF files, so one only has to go to the K-3's control panel and switch from JPEG to RAW, start shooting and then simply convert the PEF files to DNGs, which Aperture accepts with no complaint. Although it adds a step, the Adobe converter is easy to manage and is an reasonably convenient (and free) workaround until Apple updates Aperture.

Jer
12-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got the notification of an update to camera RAW on the MAC, STILL NO K-3 SUPPORT. When is Ricoh and Apple going to solve this problem, it sucks big time.
12-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Just got the notification of an update to camera RAW on the MAC, STILL NO K-3 SUPPORT. When is Ricoh and Apple going to solve this problem, it sucks big time.
????

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/245253-adobe-camera-raw-8-3-final.html

12-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Not everyone uses Adobe software, some of us can't justify the cost or have the time to convert. I am just disappointed with Apple and possibly Ricoh/Pentax.
12-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #54

Not everyone uses Adobe software, some of us can't justify the cost or have the time to convert. I am just disappointed with Apple and possibly Ricoh/Pentax.
I suggest that you (and everybody else affected) give Apple input on the matter. Aperture offers a feedback option right in the "Aperture" menu. I have already done that. :-)
12-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Not everyone uses Adobe software,
Aha. So you were talking about Aperture.
I guess that comes built in to Macs, or something, so you rely on an OS update to get it?
Either way, there is still PDCU 5 in your K-3 box, and there is a Mac version there on the CD.
12-18-2013, 05:30 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Aha. So you were talking about Aperture.
I guess that comes built in to Macs, or something, so you rely on an OS update to get it?
Either way, there is still PDCU 5 in your K-3 box, and there is a Mac version there on the CD.
No, Aperture is a stand-alone app that you purchase. It uses the iPhoto library structure so there's no conversion needed for anyone who already was using iPhoto.
12-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
No, Aperture is a stand-alone app that you purchase. It uses the iPhoto library structure so there's no conversion needed for anyone who already was using iPhoto.
Actually, iPhoto now uses the Aperture library structure and processing engine.

And to answer @rawr, yes, Digital Camera RAW Compatibility is an OS level service in OS X. The latest update added the D5300, Df, OM-D E-M1 and the 2 Alpha 7s. I think it's obvious that Ricoh is dropping the ball here by not getting Apple the info they need to update RAW for the K-3. On the other hand the 645D was just added a few months ago...
12-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Actually, iPhoto now uses the Aperture library structure and processing engine.

And to answer @rawr, yes, Digital Camera RAW Compatibility is an OS level service in OS X. The latest update added the D5300, Df, OM-D E-M1 and the 2 Alpha 7s. I think it's obvious that Ricoh is dropping the ball here by not getting Apple the info they need to update RAW for the K-3. On the other hand the 645D was just added a few months ago...
I'm sorry but Ricoh is only responsible for the software that they provide with the camera. You need to open a service request to Apple for your program not supporting your new camera. Otherwise use the software that was supplied or go download and buy a license for the full version of SilkyPix.
12-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
I'm sorry but Ricoh is only responsible for the software that they provide with the camera. You need to open a service request to Apple for your program not supporting your new camera. Otherwise use the software that was supplied or go download and buy a license for the full version of SilkyPix.
I've never once done that, or heard that it was necessary. So what you're saying is if no one ever opens a service request, there will never be K-3 for Aperture? That I would definitely need a reference for to believe.
12-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
Apple provides DNG support, but Ricoh added a non-standard DNG to the K-3. How can Apple support the K-3 if Ricoh doesn't tell them what they did to DNG? Do you think Adobe just figured it out by themselves and updated Camera RAW out of the goodness of their hearts?