Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

It seems the Adobe fans are getting more aggressive each day, permanently confronted with attacks on their bastion.

Adobe is reducing it's price for Creative Cloud with 40%, so yes, they were too greedy and now trying to keep their customers on board. In the mean time they are recovering from a major hack:

Adobe security breach could compromise 38 million users | Security - InfoWorld
Customer security alert

Still want to join them?

Could it be that Pentax/Ricoh is smelling the demise of Adobe and therefore adding RAW-PEF for K3 after a long time being absent in their camera's?

11-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
It seems the Adobe fans are getting more aggressive each day, permanently confronted with attacks on their bastion.

Adobe is reducing it's price for Creative Cloud with 40%, so yes, they were too greedy and now trying to keep their customers on board. In the mean time they are recovering from a major hack:

Adobe security breach could compromise 38 million users | Security - InfoWorld
Customer security alert

Still want to join them?

Could it be that Pentax/Ricoh is smelling the demise of Adobe and therefore adding RAW-PEF for K3 after a long time being absent in their camera's?
Still want to join them?

Quite a fantasy you have going there. Lightroom retail versions 4 and 5 has nada to do with Creative Cloud. Adobe's security practices were terrible and third-rank, but that has nothing to do with the OP's problem. What's your contribution of useful information?

M
11-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter

I just heard from the guys at PhaseOne that Capture One will support the K-3 files but will likely not support tethering. That said, I'm probably adding C-1 version 7 to my PC in 2014.

What's so different about the K-3 RAW files from the K-5 that programs reading K-5 files can't read K-3?
11-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Adobe tried to sell me on Creative Cloud when I bought Photoshop CS6 Extended earlier this year. It sounded like a bad idea then and a worse one now. I guess what my programmer friends say about Adobe is correct: some teams are really good (Photoshop, Illustrator, and a couple others.) Some teams aren't as good.

11-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And this is supposed to be something new?
Steve
(...not my favorite company...)
My thoughts exactly. They have unnecessarily complex and expensive software, which is why I don't use any of their software except the flash plugin but that is because unfortunately I don't have a choice at the moment and at least it's free.
For those using the crappy Adobe reader I suggest you try Foxit Reader.. it's MUCH faster and requires less resources.
11-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have Lightroom 4.3 and it seems to be perfectly happy with K-3 raw images. I haven't got my K-3 yet (still trying to order one) but I downloaded some sample raw photos and lightroom seems to work fine with them.

@Unlimited - I mostly agree about Adobe, especially the reader but Lightroom is the one exception I make - true it is overweight, obese even, but I despite everything I found my self liking it so much that I have come to depend on it.
11-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
@Unlimited - I mostly agree about Adobe, especially the reader but Lightroom is the one exception I make - true it is overweight, obese even, but I despite everything I found my self liking it so much that I have come to depend on it.
It is possible they somehow managed not to screw every software.. I've never used LR; I'm using Linux almost exclusively now so I use Darktable... unfortunately they have no Windows build. Darktable (if it would have been called Darkroom it would have been a too funny situation) seems to have good Pentax camera support.
11-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PEF is available in k-5II, so not sure what you mean. Adobe has plenty of warts, and creative cloud is a non-starter for me but I don't see any change in what Pentax is doing???

11-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My last 3 cameras all shoot .pef - K20D, K-5, & K-5IIs - I don't see where it was absent.

As for the rest, I just don't understand why the Pentax crowd seems to revolve around .dng and Adobe - must be very good consumerism marketing........
11-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #25
Pentaxian

As someone advised me on another thread, download Adobe DNG Converter, free from Adobe, it will convert your K-3 files from a DNG that Aperture can't read to a DNG file Aperture can read, and you're set to go. You don't get the Apple profile for whatever that does, so you may have to spend a bit more time on noise reduction or colour, or whatever the Apple profile does, but you do get the compact DNG file to start your workflow from.
11-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
Site Supporter

the demise of Adobe
Just think of DNG as PDF. Two file formats developed by Adobe, but with open, published standards provided royalty-free, and there are other software companies that sell or give away software that can read and write DNG or PDF files. The only risky approach is to keep using proprietary RAW file formats. Pentax has its own proprietary RAW file format, PEF, but the most recent cameras, K-5, K-30, K-5II, K-50 and K-3 can all output DNG files. If you use DNG files with software not developed by Adobe they aren't getting a penny from you. For everyone that hates Adobe, there are lots of other photo editing and post processing programs out there, and if you truly want to avoid file format obsolescence, use DNG. I don't mind rants, but stop with the pointless misinformation.
11-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
As noted above V.5.2 of Lightroom supports your new camera. What's the problem. If after spending at least $2000 on new camera gear you are whining about a $50 required software upgrade, then your thread title is very telling. Digital photography is more than the camera, it is the software as well including any necessary costs which should be part of one's budget. Get on with using your new tools.

M
You should apply for a job in Adobe. Wait, you might be working for them no matter how you deny. In my case it is SGD$109 bucks for upgrade and I paid $130 for my LR4. Go figure genius.
11-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL! If you want to be confused join this forum; some say DNG is the best, some say PEF is the best. You know what? I am going to be a sucker again by upgrading to LR5 soon. But wait, aren't we entitle patch upgrades of our current version to cover those new cameras? Oh we don't, 100 bucks is nothing lol! We should spend more to turn the economy around. Get more loan, build another sub-prime

Enough ranting. Am out of here....
11-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unlimited Quote
It is possible they somehow managed not to screw every software.. I've never used LR; I'm using Linux almost exclusively now so I use Darktable... unfortunately they have no Windows build. Darktable (if it would have been called Darkroom it would have been a too funny situation) seems to have good Pentax camera support.
It (Darktable) works fine with K-3 files. No specific stuff yet, but it will come.
11-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
In my case it is SGD$109 bucks for upgrade and I paid $130 for my LR4.
Doubling down and ranting about $109 after spending at least $2000 on new camera gear are we?

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
But wait, aren't we entitle patch upgrades of our current version to cover those new cameras?
It may be your current version, but it is not the publishers. There is a difference there. You know, you could use the software that comes with both of your new cameras, after all you did pay for them and they really should work. Or is that too much to invest in your photography? Perhaps you have other people aim and shoot your new cameras for you.

M