Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
This next link shows three shots in series, with a crop from each shot to show the area of focus. The K-3 ignored all distractions; the second bird, wires and pole are all out of focus, the subject is tack sharp.
https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/K3TrackingTest?authkey=Gv1sRgCKXc5cLh-uGl9AE#

Last shot in the series, with crop, for those too lazy to click:

I love you.

Or I love the k-3.

Ugh!

11-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Great, this is not pixel pepping but real life photo. This tread will come as popular as the one in K-5
11-04-2013, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wonder why people keep harp on this "coming straight at you" thing.
( ...snip ...)
Where are all these "coming straight at you" shooters?
I'm one of those shooters (occasionally).

The coming straight at you scenario is the hardest test of the tracking system, yielding the highest apparent speed towards the camera.

Plus it's a good composition in sports that shows the athlete's face and expression.

Pictures were shot with the K-5 and the DA200.

Regards,
--Anders.

Last edited by asp1880; 11-04-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Specified camera and lens.
11-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This next link shows three shots in series, with a crop from each shot to show the area of focus. The K-3 ignored all distractions; the second bird, wires and pole are all out of focus, the subject is tack sharp.
https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/K3TrackingTest?authkey=Gv1sRgCKXc5cLh-uGl9AE#

Fantastic pictures and thank you so much for including the camera settings in your first post! It helps those like me who are learning digital photography.

11-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I don't think I wanted to see these pictures,,, ugh

I've been trying so hard to find reasons NOT to buy a K3.
Now the GF is going to want one too, she won't be happy with my K5iis after all the complaining I've been doing about it.

Double UGH!
No problem! New K3 and new GF...
11-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have so many tack sharp photos of flying gulls, I don't know what to do with them.
Excellent! Wonder how long I can hold out from getting the K-3 now.
11-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Fantastic pictures and thank you so much for including the camera settings in your first post! It helps those like me who are learning digital photography.
We all have something to learn with this new camera. The menu settings for AF-C are foreign to me. I don't know whether I chose optimal settings for BIF or not, I just guessed. I'm not even sure that disabling SR is productive, because the SR on this body is supposedly different and improved over previous Pentaxes.

There may be some fine tuning required but my settings did work.

11-04-2013, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I don't think I wanted to see these pictures,,, ugh

I've been trying so hard to find reasons NOT to buy a K3.
EXACTLY ! but i think we're screwed : we are going to buy one, despite all the reasonnable thinking !

The Pentax K3 ... my bank account is doooooooomed
11-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

As far as I can tell the 'coming at you' focus problem does exist on the K-r but only when using single AF. In continuous AF it has always worked fine for me, even for cars coming almost straight at me. My other Pentax is a K-30 but I never tried shooting moving targets with single AF, possibly and probably unnecessarily because of my experience with the K-r. However when I think of it I'm not even sure it should work for single AF.
11-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wonder why people keep harp on this "coming straight at you" thing. Funny how no one has ever commented on how Pentax can't do images coming straight at you, and then posted their links to pages filled with images of vehicles or something coming straight at them, proving this is something that's actually relevant to their lives. Where are all these "coming straight at you" shooters? Is this real, or is this an issue fabricated for Canikon marketing reps posting on the site pretending like they want something from Pentax besides their customers?
It is hard to say where the "coming straight at you shooters" are hiding, though I do know that this is a fairly common way to evaluate AF-C.

Steve
11-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #26
Inactive Account

That bird just crapped on my car
11-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I went out to test AF-C and tracking yesterday. I have so many tack sharp photos of flying gulls, I don't know what to do with them. For a sample sequence, go to this link, hit Slideshow.
That's wonderful news. I'm tempted to order one. I like to photograph birds and AF-C is the right setting for them. The birds on my K-5 are a bit to bitmapped sometimes. I'm curious to see how the camera works with the Sigma 500mm F/4.5.
11-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Drew, so far the K-3 is great with the Sigma 500/4.5
11-04-2013, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Drew, so far the K-3 is great with the Sigma 500/4.5
You know what you are doing dawg. (Dane Dawg gets some great shots.) Oh Man! I'm so tempted to hit the order button.

Edit: I just hit the order button.

Last edited by traderdrew; 11-04-2013 at 06:16 PM.
11-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #30

I was practicing flight shots this past weekend, also of Ring-Billed Gulls, and with the bird against an empty sky the K-5 with DA* 300 gives a high percentage of sharp photos in AF-C. If the bird flies in front of a tree I find the camera is almost guaranteed to lose the bird and focus on the background object instead.

So for anyone who previously used a K-5 can you say the K-3 is significantly better?