Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
I'm sending it in for a firmware updrade but I was wondering if you had any issues with this?
I've had no issues. I point the lens at something, it focusses, usually very quickly.

Of course, if something is within the minimum focus distance for the lens, it will hunt. Or if you have a subject with zero contrast, or anything else like pic related happening (courtesy of Nikon), it may hunt:

I'm not aware of any lens firmware update for that lens. But I'd be interested to hear whether Sigma say there is a firmware update available.

The biggest problem I had with that lens used to be lots of flare when shooting towards stadium lighting. That problem was solved by adding the lens hood adapter [HA 850-01] onto that lens.

05-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I've had no issues. I point the lens at something, it focusses, usually very quickly.

Of course, if something is within the minimum focus distance for the lens, it will hunt. Or if you have a subject with zero contrast, or anything else like pic related happening (courtesy of Nikon), it may hunt:

I'm not aware of any lens firmware update for that lens. But I'd be interested to hear whether Sigma say there is a firmware update available.

The biggest problem I had with that lens used to be lots of flare when shooting towards stadium lighting. That problem was solved by adding the lens hood adapter [HA 850-01] onto that lens.
I was comparing the lens on my new K-3 against my K-5, with the same settings and in the same situation. I also compared the auto focus with my 18-135mm DC lens, again with same/similar settings, and there's definitely a problem with it hunting. Even in the store it did the same thing, and I tried the Pentax 18-270mm and it didn't have a problem with the lighting. I hope there's a firmware fix, otherwise I wasted money buying the K-3 as I use the 70-200mm 80-90% of the time. I'll update this thread when I hear anything.
06-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
I was comparing the lens on my new K-3 against my K-5, with the same settings and in the same situation. I also compared the auto focus with my 18-135mm DC lens, again with same/similar settings, and there's definitely a problem with it hunting. Even in the store it did the same thing, and I tried the Pentax 18-270mm and it didn't have a problem with the lighting. I hope there's a firmware fix, otherwise I wasted money buying the K-3 as I use the 70-200mm 80-90% of the time. I'll update this thread when I hear anything.
If you find out you don't like your K-3, I'd be happy to discuss a trade or buying it from you!?
06-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
If you find out you don't like your K-3, I'd be happy to discuss a trade or buying it from you!?
Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if sending it in to Sigma doesn't fix the auto focus, I may be selling the K-3 and battery grip. No sense keeping a $1,000 camera around that doesn't get used.

06-04-2015, 03:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

On the subject of the Sigma 70-200 HSM II:

53 - Tight in the curve - KTM - North Coast Road Racers on Flickr

91 knee down - North Coast Road Racers on Flickr

MotoX Trio in orange - North Coast Road Racers on Flickr
07-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #21
Forum Member

I got my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM II back. The firmware was updated, but it is still hunting on the K-3 (both my copy and a copy at the store). I was able to return the camera to the store, but only for store credit. I will be sticking with my K-5 for now, but I doubt I will be buying another Pentax DSLR camera in the future.