Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3 for sports?

What kinds of results have people had attempting to capture sporting events with the K-3? I've been considering a K-3 to replace my aging K-5 (and bump my K-5 IIs to a backup role), but I've heard conflicting things about the AF performance. I've seen posts saying the AF isn't much better, and I've seen others saying the AF.C is much better than the K-5's.

11-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sports is a big tent. Which particulars are you wanting to capture with your camera?
There have been a few examples posted from moving targets like bicycles and birds in flight. These have given me a lot of optimism. I expect my K-3 within a few days and will test it against my Canon 7D. My intention is to replace the 7D but we'll see as the bar is quite high.

M
11-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Sports is a big tent. Which particulars are you wanting to capture with your camera?
There have been a few examples posted from moving targets like bicycles and birds in flight. These have given me a lot of optimism. I expect my K-3 within a few days and will test it against my Canon 7D. My intention is to replace the 7D but we'll see as the bar is quite high.

M
Yeah, I should've been more specific but I mean indoor or night sports (football, hockey, basketball, volleyball, etc) where good high ISO performance is a must.
11-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, that's a tougher one. It appears that the predictive AF is a lot better with the K-3, but the weaknesses in fast focusing lenses and simply fast lenses still remain. Canon's having a relatively cheap fast focusing high-quality 85mm f1.8 lens is a strength. Hopefully the higher ISO shot quality will compensate with the K-3.

M

11-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

i've been able to shoot sports with the k5 classic reasonably successfully, mainly daylight and large field sports. I've never been overly impressed with my efforts whenever I've tried indoor basketball etc. I certainly think that on early evidence the K3 AF sounds like a winner. especially coming from the classic, i imagine the central f2.8 sensors will help in lower light situations, to say nothing of the the overhauled af-c setups. I suspect the better AF will be of more use than a slightly higher theoretical dynamic range, and i can't imagine ISO being much different. If indoor stadium sports become my main go, i'd probably splash the cash for a siggy 85mm. but thinking as i go, maybe 24meg allows more cropping and a cheaper fast 50 would work? though i'd personally want hsm /sdm which bumps the price back up a bit, lol.
11-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
What kinds of results have people had attempting to capture sporting events with the K-3? I've been considering a K-3 to replace my aging K-5 (and bump my K-5 IIs to a backup role), but I've heard conflicting things about the AF performance. I've seen posts saying the AF isn't much better, and I've seen others saying the AF.C is much better than the K-5's.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241346-k-3-af-c-test-picts.html
03-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
Forum Member

I know this is an old post, but I thought it would be best to keep the sports/auto-focus conversation in one spot, so can anybody give their thoughts on any improvements in the auto-focus (speed/accuracy) for the K-3 compared to the K-5. I've got the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, which I use to shoot ice hockey. Typically I'm shooting at f2.8, 1/500 or 640, and ISO between 1600 and 3200. I've been contemplating buying the K-3, but I'm not sure about spending another $1,000.

Anybody have any experiences with the K-3/Sigma 70-200mm combination they'd like to share?

03-31-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
I know this is an old post, but I thought it would be best to keep the sports/auto-focus conversation in one spot, so can anybody give their thoughts on any improvements in the auto-focus (speed/accuracy) for the K-3 compared to the K-5. I've got the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, which I use to shoot ice hockey. Typically I'm shooting at f2.8, 1/500 or 640, and ISO between 1600 and 3200. I've been contemplating buying the K-3, but I'm not sure about spending another $1,000.

Anybody have any experiences with the K-3/Sigma 70-200mm combination they'd like to share?
You might want to check over at the other forum where there have been several posts on the subject. Bottom line, the K-5ii/s might be very close to the K-3 (it has been debated quite a bit), but the K-5 is pretty far short of the K-3 in all matters AF, including accuracy, speed, tracking and technical specifications.

The K-3 review by Adam on this site is a pretty good indicator of the extent of improvement.
04-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
You might want to check over at the other forum where there have been several posts on the subject. Bottom line, the K-5ii/s might be very close to the K-3 (it has been debated quite a bit), but the K-5 is pretty far short of the K-3 in all matters AF, including accuracy, speed, tracking and technical specifications.

The K-3 review by Adam on this site is a pretty good indicator of the extent of improvement.
What other forum/posts would you be talking about?

I did read Adam's review, but the lens used was the Pentax 60-250mm F4, which I don't own and I don't think is supposed to be very fast focusing. I'm interested if anybody has the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM lens, and if they can compare the K-3 to the K-5 (original).
04-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
What other forum/posts would you be talking about?

I did read Adam's review, but the lens used was the Pentax 60-250mm F4, which I don't own and I don't think is supposed to be very fast focusing. I'm interested if anybody has the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM lens, and if they can compare the K-3 to the K-5 (original).
Having only looked at the OP originally, it wasn't clear to me that you needed the comparison specific to that lens - but that's a valid concern. The other forum is DP - but I doubt many of the participants over there have that particular lens. I am pretty sure that crewl1 has used that lens for sports, and I believe he probably can tell you how it performs comparatively on the K-5, K-5ii and K-3. He likes the lens quite a bit, but also has the DA*300. You might want to PM him.
04-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot some sports with the K-5/K-3 and 60-250. I'd say it's pretty good but not blazingly fast on the focus.
I usually use it in bike and ski races on my K-5 to supplement a wider lens and flash and the K-3. Since it's typically the long shot lens and I stop it down a bit for context, the focus speed hasn't been an issue for me, but most of what I'm shooting is in bright light which surely helps.

I shot this from the back of a motorcycle, relying completely on AF.
K-5

K-x

K-3
04-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 II EX DG Macro. It does work better with the K-3 than it does with the K-5. The K-3 is a very confident performer with that lens.

The improvements are especially noticeable when the light gets dim, due to the K-3's superior low-light AF sensor, and in terms of AF-C control and tracking. Additionally, the K-3 (indeed any Pentax DSLR camera from the K-30 onwards, inc the K-5 II) also has the tungsten light AF problem fixed, which sometimes cropped up as an issue for me under stadium lighting with the K-5.

For event shooting (particularly important events) it's useful to have two bodies around anyhow (one primary, one backup), so picking up a K-3 makes sense for that reason alone.

BTW the $1000 price for a K-3 seems high. I see US $799 at B&H, other deals for less around the place.
04-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
BTW the $1000 price for a K-3 seems high. I see US $799 at B&H, other deals for less around the place.
I was looking at the Pentax K-3 Prestige Edition, which is about $1,200 Canadian. It's basically the same price as buying the K-3 and battery grip separately. With the current Canadian to US exchange rate, $799 is $1,000.
04-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #14

Using the 55-300wr, I've managed to catch birds in flight. My dog in full sprint and she's incredibly fast.

The football games I go to have world class stadium light and are more than bright enough to shoot in.

I found the hardest to figure out was the afc hold and priority settings. Once tweaked I was a happy guy.
05-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I have the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 II EX DG Macro. It does work better with the K-3 than it does with the K-5. The K-3 is a very confident performer with that lens.
I picked up a K-3 and my Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG HSM II is hunting during auto focus. I'm sending it in for a firmware updrade, but I was wondering if you had any issues with this?

When I try to auto focus the lens will go slightly past, then back slightly the other way, before locking in on focus. I tested it out on another K-3 in the store, and it did the same thing. The K-3 is quick to focus with Pentax 18-135mm, so I'm hoping a firmware upgrade fixes it.